Jon Joseph

College Football 2023 - Will the Dawgs Match the Gophers?

Below is a summary of an excellent article, written by Seth Emerson of The Athletic. Seth is a Georgia graduate who covers the Bulldogs and all things SEC for The Athletic. 

In going for its 3rd college football (CFB) championship in a row, Georgia is trying to match the Minnesota Golden Gopher teams of 1934, 1935, and 1936.

1934 - MN went 8-0 with one close call, a 13-7 win at Pittsburgh in front of 64,000 fans. Grantland Rice All-American guard, Bill Bevan, was the last B1G player to play without a helmet. 

A QB (single-wing tailback) and guard on the 1934/35/36 rosters, Bud Wilkinson, went on to have a Hall of Fame coaching career at Oklahoma. Bud also played on the Gophers' hockey team. 

At Oklahoma, Bud came close to a championship 3-peat. The Sooners did win the title in 1955 and 1956 but in 1957, even though finishing the season undefeated, Oklahoma finished 3rd in the AP and Coaches Polls behind Ohio State and UCLA. Wilkinson's team at Oklahoma had a 47-game winning streak and Wilkinson did win one more title at Oklahoma, making him the only CFB player and head coach to win 3 titles as a player and 3 as a head coach. (Note, when reading about Dwight Reed below, the Big 8 was integrated in 1951. Black athletes played on all of Wilkinson's teams.)

1935 - The Gophers again went 8-0. Minnesota did not play an Ohio State team that went 7-0 in the conference but lost to Notre Dame.

This season was the first for Dwight Reed, who played end on offense and defense. Reed was the lone Black player on the Minnesota championship teams. The one southern team the Gophers played that season, Tulane, refused to play with Reed on the field or the sideline. Reed watched the game in New Orleans from the press box. In 1936, Minnesota played and defeated Texas in Minneapolis. Texas beefed about Reed playing but coach Bernie Bierman told Texas that Reed was playing. After the game in 1936, Bierman canceled all future games scheduled against teams from the south. 

Dwight Reed is a member of the Minnesota Hall of Fame and also a member of the B1G Hall of Fame.

1936 -  Minnesota opened the season in Seattle with a 14-7 victory over the Huskies. The evening before the game the hotel the team was staying in burned to the ground but no Minnesota players were injured. 

Minnesota did lose a home game, 0-6, to No. 3 ranked Northwestern. This was the first year of the AP Poll and the trend was set, it is better to lose early than late. Minnesota and Northwestern both finished 8-1 but No. 1 Northwestern lost 26-6 to Notre Dame in the last game of the season. to finish No. 7 in the final AP Poll. Number 1 and AP Poll champion Minnesota did outscore its 1936 opponents 203-32.

Other teams claim titles in the years Minnesota was awarded its three consecutive championships.

1934 - Unbeaten Alabama was the champion choice of the (Richard) Poling (!) System. In those days, B1G teams had far more ranking juice than teams located in Dixie.

1935 - In 2016 (!) the American Football Coaches Association awarded TCU the 1935 title.

1936 - Rose Bowl champion Pittsburgh, 21-0 victor over Washington, finished 8-1-1 and was ranked No. 1 by College Football Ratings Association.

However, the NCAA CFB Record Book recognizes Minnesota as the consensus champion in these three years. 

How times have changed? Black players deservedly dominate CFB rosters today. Not one player on Minnesota's roster in 1934/35/36 weighed 200 pounds or more. And I very much doubt that any player could run the 100 in less than 11 seconds if that. Bernie Bierman passed in Laguna, California in 1977 with a net worth of $5M. Current Minnesota coach PJ Fleck is paid @$6M a year. Bernie was paid @$10,000 a year. He was a very successful businessman after retiring as the Gopher's head coach.

Unless Georgia plays OREGON in a playoff semifinal game or for the title in 2023, best of luck to the Dawgs on its quest for a 3-peat. 

image.thumb.gif.15035c52d068eae40668ebc74d76b6b6.gif

• Great post! 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

A look at future conference opponent Minnesota's 2023 schedule. Hide the women and gophers!

Thursday, 8/31, no OOC tune-up, the Gophers open up vs Nebraska.

Goldy drew the shortest end of the 2023 East/West crossover stick. Michigan State at home? OK. But add on #2 Michigan at home and on the road at #3 Columbus. Brutal. 

And the OOC slate isn't all that easy. A decent MAC opponent in E. Michigan. A game vs decent Sun Belt opponent Louisiana and a game at #21 UNC.

Minnesota gets Illinois and Wiscon at home in the West but trips to #25 Iowa.

No Natty for Goldy in 2023 is not a tough prediction.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

JJ, thanks for the history lesson on the Gophers 3 peat. A great accomplishment in any era.

Imagine winning 47 games in row, being the 2 time defending champion, finishing 11-0 and NOT getting a 3 peat. Boy the Sooners made an early case for the BCS or CFP format.

As for The Dawgs on their chances for a 3 peat....

Their schedule for 2023 sets up very well. Road games against Auburn, Vandy, Tennessee, Georgia Tech and a neutral site against Florida are manageable.

SEC title game against LSU or Bama may be their toughest challenge except for the road trip to Knoxville.

The Dawgs are most likely in the CFP even with a loss in the title game.

Unlike Minnesota, The Dawgs will get the chance to 3 peat on the field, as it should be.......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honesty compels me to say that I am highly uncertain about the Dawgs chances of winning the natty this year. The roster is talented but certain position groups give me reason for concern, at least they do at this time. The later qualifier reflects the fact that players on Kirby's teams always seem to step up when their turns come to ball.

Changes at QB always introduce uncertainties, although Kirby has said very nice things about starter Carson Beck and the backups are solid.

The wide receiver room is arguably the very best Kirby has had at UGA. Yet, the RB room is banged up and lacks the passing threat out of the backfield that Georgia has always had. How much this hurts remains to be seen.

The DL is neither as deep nor as talented as was true of the last two teams, although it will still be stout against the run.

No problems with the OL; arguably the best in the country.

So the Dawgs may well be there at the end but this is far from a slam dunk IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:32 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Honesty compels me to say that I am highly uncertain about the Dawgs chances of winning the natty this year. The roster is talented but certain position groups give me reason for concern, at least they do at this time. The later qualifier reflects the fact that players on Kirby's teams always seem to step up when their turns come to ball.

Changes at QB always introduce uncertainties, although Kirby has said very nice things about starter Carson Beck and the backups are solid.

The wide receiver room is arguably the very best Kirby has had at UGA. Yet, the RB room is banged up and lacks the passing threat out of the backfield that Georgia has always had. How much this hurts remains to be seen.

The DL is neither as deep nor as talented as was true of the last two teams, although it will still be stout against the run.

No problems with the OL; arguably the best in the country.

So the Dawgs may well be there at the end but this is far from a slam dunk IMHO.

Honesty compels me to say that after I read your post I spent a bit of time trying to rationalize a way that I might play devils advocate with your analysis.  But alas, in truth I would be pulling at straws, as honestly I agree with most everything you said. 🤨

I’m not terribly worried about our RB situation bc we have so much talent there.  We even have a few seasoned walk ons in Jones and Clark that I’m pretty comfortable with.  

Other than that, I am absolutely in lined with your train of thinking.  Time will tell though.  I really hope we can 3 peat but hell, I was extremely happy with one in my lifetime, so the rest is just icing at this point!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:03 AM, SoGaDawg said:

I’m not terribly worried about our RB situation bc we have so much talent there.  We even have a few seasoned walk ons in Jones and Clark that I’m pretty comfortable with.  

Hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but Kirby announced this morning that Branson Robinson is out for the season with an achilles injury. The walk-ons had better come through.

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Yikes! 1

Given the schedule, I fully expect them to 3-peat this year. That's it, the end. Goodbye and goodnight.

• Applause 1

One final point consistent with the last post of mine. It gets worse at RB for the Dawgs as #2 back, Daijan Edwards has a knee injury (MCL), although he is expected back at some point. At present, there are only two full-go scholarship running backs, a redshirt freshman who is coming off an ACL repair and a true freshman we got outta San Diego this year. At least these guys will get a lot of carries early in the year along with a preferred walk on perhaps.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's one question mark on that schedule; Tennessee @ Neyland...and then the SEC Championship in your own back yard. That's it...and even Tennessee have to break in a new QB same as y'all. Only 2 teams have a higher blue-chip ratio: Alabama and Ohio State.  I appreciate the humility, but it's time to own up to the expectations based on the scheduled evidence. NOT 3-peating would be a massive disappointment...

On 8/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, Wrathis said:

There's one question mark on that schedule; Tennessee @ Neyland...and then the SEC Championship in your own back yard. That's it...and even Tennessee have to break in a new QB same as y'all. Only 2 teams have a higher blue-chip ratio: Alabama and Ohio State.  I appreciate the humility, but it's time to own up to the expectations based on the scheduled evidence. NOT 3-peating would be a massive disappointment...

Sure I’ll be disappointed, but not massively. I was massively disappointed when we lost to Bama in overtime of the 2017 NC game.  Especially with the way we lost, 2nd and twenty six and all that.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

How will average B1G QBs do in the SEC? Mertz at UF, Milton at TN, and Thorne at Auburn. B1G question coming into 2023.

Beck at UGA is homegrown. This is becoming the exception and not the rule in CFB. In the Pac12, OREGON, UW, OR St, WA St, Cal, Utah, CU, AZ, USC, and UCLA all have transfers starting at QB in 2023.

In addition to the 3 B1G to SEC starters mentioned above, the SEC has transfers starting in 2023 at So Car, KY, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and LSU. With Bama TBD. 

On 8/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, SoGaDawg said:

Sure I’ll be disappointed, but not massively. I was massively disappointed when we lost to Bama in overtime of the 2017 NC game.  Especially with the way we lost, 2nd and twenty six and all that.  

It occurred to me after re-reading my post that it's early and I hadn't had my coffee yet...so my apologies if my post had offended you as that certainly wasn't the intent. All of the Georgia fans on here (and even the Florida guy lol) have been classy and accommodating while still remaining humble and I appreciate that.

I still expect you all to run the table this year despite the roster challenges you all have pointed out...and when you do, I'll be happy all and celebrate with you. Here's to kickoff in just 2 and a half days, good luck and we've finally made it!!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 10:16 AM, Wrathis said:

It occurred to me after re-reading my post that it's early and I hadn't had my coffee yet...so my apologies if my post had offended you as that certainly wasn't the intent. All of the Georgia fans on here (and even the Florida guy lol) have been classy and accommodating while still remaining humble and I appreciate that.

I still expect you all to run the table this year despite the roster challenges you all have pointed out...and when you do, I'll be happy all and celebrate with you. Here's to kickoff in just 2 and a half days, good luck and we've finally made it!!!

No offense taken at all.  In truth I guess it depends how close we get to the 3peat.  I’m sure the closer we get and don’t make it, the more disappointed I will be.😂

Yeah man, I can hardly wait for this season to start!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yet, no team has won 3 in a row since Minnesota in the 1930s and other schools have claims to the 3 titles won by the Gophers. 

There are many quality scholarship athletes in the SEC. UGA struggled last season against Kent State (!) and Mizzou. Tough to bring your A-game every week when you are a young man and everyone is telling you that all you have to do is roll the ball out on the field to win the game. 

I think Beck will be very good but he does not have Bennett's wheels. Bennett's ability to run the ball was the difference, along with a key OH ST injury, to UGA's close semifinal win over Ohio State. And does Mike Bobo have the moxie to successfully replace Todd Monken at OC? 

I also believe that LSU will be much improved this season and will most likely, give UGA a better battle in the SEC champ game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think that most Dawg fans are more than happy with Mike Bobo. He was the architect of Georgia's highest scoring offense in history the last year of his former tenure as OC in Athens--and with a non-mobile, average-armed 3* at that. He did have Murray, still the SEC's all-time leading passer I believe, previously, but not the receivers he has now. This is an empirical question of course' but I suspect that scoring points will not be a major problem for the Dawgs this year.

As Jon Joseph pointed out, Georgia struggled a bit with Kent State and a lot with Missouri last year. But they do play an SEC schedule and to say that they have but one formidable opponent is an overstatement. If you knew the league well, you'd have to acknowledge that playing Auburn on the road is always a tough game, just ask Nick Saban (and Brian Kelly who marched his LSU team into Jordan-Hare and found themselves down by 17 in a big hurry). The last couple years notwithstanding, South Carolina has always been a tough game for Georgia, Shane Beamer is building a nice roster in Columbia, ask Tennessee and Clemson after getting whipped by the 'Cocks last year in successive weeks. Ole Miss also gives the Dawgs problems, though the two teams haven't played in Athens for quite some time.

Yes, the schedule is a bit easier this year, largely due to the SEC making Georgia cancel their original week 2 road game against Oklahoma. But to the OOC critics, I'd just say volunteer to switch their schedules with Georgia's and come play it.

• Applause 1

Easy is a relative term.  UGA missing LSU, Alabama and Mississippi St., the top 3 teams from the West last year, has the appearance of an easy SEC schedule.  With the current AP poll, UGA only currently plays 2 ranked teams during the regular season.  The same amount of ranked teams they played last year, Oregon and Tennessee.  I'm not sure anybody thought UGA had an easy schedule last year.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:42 PM, Tandaian said:

Easy is a relative term.  UGA missing LSU, Alabama and Mississippi St., the top 3 teams from the West last year, has the appearance of an easy SEC schedule.  With the current AP poll, UGA only currently plays 2 ranked teams during the regular season.  The same amount of ranked teams they played last year, Oregon and Tennessee.  I'm not sure anybody thought UGA had an easy schedule last year.

Tan, and UGA will certainly be playing a highly ranked and motivated team in the conference champ game. Extra motivated if they can stop a 3-peat.

And there's a chance that South Carolina and Kentucky could be in the Top 25 when they play Georgia.

• Applause 1

If South Carolina beats North Carolina in week 1, they will almost certainly be rated in the top 25 when they play Georgia. Kentucky could well be as well. I know they will be physical (always are) and are supposed to have a very good defense (almost always do) I am not familiar at this moment with their schedule, but if not in the top 25 when the Dawgs play them, they'll be sniffing around the edges.