NJDuck

How does Oregon's Recruiting Prowess Compare to Best of the Best in Big Ten?

If there’s one thing that Oregon Duck fans love to brag about, it’s their own team’s ability to recruit. While Eugene hasn’t been a hot spot for top recruits for decades on end like some other top schools in the nation, the Ducks have been able to recruit as well as just about anyone over the past decade.

While there may still be some hard feelings, Oregon fans can thank Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal for that development.

The torch has been passed to Dan Lanning, who’s done a tremendous job in his couple of years as head coach of the Ducks, putting together a pair of classes that are highly touted. He appears to be well on his way to doing the same in 2024, as well.

The landscape going forward is bound to be different, though, and that could be a good thing for the Ducks. With Oregon making a move to the Big Ten in 2024, its recruiting base is expected to grow with the prominence of the program. No longer will the Ducks be competing with just the USC Trojans for conference supremacy on the trail. No longer will recruits who go to Oregon be forced to accept the fact that their games are on fewer national broadcasts and played late at night on the East Coast. Instead, the Ducks will now become one of the top members in the preeminent conference in the nation. That will have a positive impact.

So when we look at the past recruiting success for Oregon before making the jump to a new conference, how does it compare to their future peers? We know that the Ducks have held the No. 1 recruiting ranking in the Pac-12 for the majority of recent history, but does that hold a candle to what schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State do on the recruiting trail?

In order to find this out, I looked at the following over the past five years of results to get a sense of where things stand:

Accumulative Recruiting Scores

Average Recruiting Scores Per Year

Highest National Ranking

Lowest National Ranking

Number of 5-star Recruits

I think it gives us a pretty good sense of who the best recruiting powers in the new Big Ten will be going forward.

Take a look at what I found:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon has largely dominated recruiting in the Pac-12 over the past five years, but how does that compare to the top teams in the Big Ten on the trail?

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I completely agree with this, and I would like to think that in a year or two we can challenge Ohio State for the best.

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregons 24 class most likely ends up top 10. Ducks struck out on several so far but recruiting them hasn't stopped. 4 months is a long time to protect your commitments.

I think there are some 5* flips on the horizon. I think Rushing will be one of them. I think they flip one from UGA also. RB Frazier would be my guess, perhaps LB Williams. Tough to peel one away from UGA though.

Baker and Breland are still possible. Again, UGA will be tough to beat out. 

Lannings 22 class was probably the most impresive IMO. Salvaging the class was a Hulkish feat considering the state of the progr'm at that point in time. MC slithered out the back door and Lanning had two weeks to work with.

Then Lanning dropped a #8 class in 23. Flipping several recruits on signing day. What an exciting time for Duck fans. Smoke'em if you got'em!

Getting inside the top 10 consecutive years is what champions do. If Ducks want to win trophies it is vital they recruit top 10 classes year in, year out.

Lanning has recruited  above my expectations by far. Just as important,  he has used the portal at an elite level. 

I think there has been a profound shift in the Oregon progr'm. Time will tell but I think we are at a point that Oregon has arived at "elite " as a program. I get you have to get a trophy or what I am saying is just fan boy talk.

Lannings contract extension, B1G invite, recruiting competions with the elite, Bo Dacious, and on and on. Oregon has stepped up their game. You can feel it, Ducks on a mission to grab a trophy. 

Super excited, its a great day to be a Duck fan!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ohio State recruits with the best in all of college football (e.g., Alabama, Georgia) and it's going to be challenging for Oregon to catch them, until we win a National Championship (or two), IMHO.

Since the B1G is a coast to coast conference, I expect our recruiting pipelines to improve in the mid-west and northeast.  Lanning and company have done a really good job recruiting Texas.  I wonder if we'll need to schedule some home-and-home series with some of the Texas schools to keep that pipeline going. 

That said, Southern California will always be crucial to Oregon's success, and it's great that we ruined USC's recruiting pitch by joining the B1G.  Fight on!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2023 at 4:02 PM, OregonDucks said:

I wonder if we'll need to schedule some home-and-home series with some of the Texas schools to keep that pipeline going. 

Great idea, and the Texas Tech game is a good start.

• Whew! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Great idea, and the Texas Tech game is a good start.

Agreed. 

As of right now, we also have Baylor and Oklahoma State.  I'm assuming that this is part of the recruiting pitch...

On 8/22/2023 at 7:03 AM, NJDuck said:

(Quote from article):  No longer will recruits who go to Oregon be forced to accept the fact that their games are on fewer national broadcasts and played late at night on the East Coast.

People have been pumping this idea, but I think we are somewhat mistaken here. Fox still needs to cover the late night slot with a game.

With 4 teams on the pacific coast, the games between them (and some people are hoping for 3 a year), those teams naturally will fit into the latest slot - unless it becomes a big important game to the rest of the country and Fox (or whoever) has another game they can schedule into the late spot. Hence we we may still have 2 games a year in the "After Dark" category -- probably more if we have a couple of perceived patsies OOC.

I hope I am wrong.

I expect more late games for the Ducks, not less.  Fox took UCLA and USC partially for the late night spot, I can't imagine them just giving up that idea now that the PAC is done after this season.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, Jon Sousa said:

People have been pumping this idea, but I think we are somewhat mistaken here. Fox still needs to cover the late night slot with a game.

With 4 teams on the pacific coast, the games between them (and some people are hoping for 3 a year), those teams naturally will fit into the latest slot - unless it becomes a big important game to the rest of the country and Fox (or whoever) has another game they can schedule into the late spot. Hence we we may still have 2 games a year in the "After Dark" category -- probably more if we have a couple of perceived patsies OOC.

I hope I am wrong.

What is Fox’s latest game slot? Do they have any weekday games?

Seems like ESPN is the one with the crazy times (e.g., 10pm ET, Thursday night).

Edited by OregonDucks