Charles Fischer

Credit Where Deserved....He Nailed the Billboards

I have been highly critical of article site, Ducks Wire, for their ongoing small articles that often contain blah-blah that I do not allow FishDuck writers to engage in.  If you read a full transcript each day of the interviews with the coaches--you will get the information of the next three days of Ducks Wire articles, as they will take a small blurb and then add some blah-blah to make an article from a sentence or two from an interview.

Thus they can take one coach's interview and make four articles from it.  (As a publisher, I know the strategy well)

But Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire wrote a super article about the billboards, and absolutely nailed it along with some further insight that I think all Duck fans should see below.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“At the University of Oregon, you’re going to have the opportunity to be recognized. You’re going to be seen not just at a local level, but at a global level.”

(This article was posted on another thread, but I wanted to single it out due to its value)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I 100% agree with his take on the billboards. 

Never thought it was marketing Bo strictly for a Heisman trophy. I have always thought this type of marketing is bigger than that. 

It gets attention on sports/football social media, and in the end, it gets future recruits and their parents thinking about Oregon. 

Edited by Drake

On 8/25/2023 at 9:37 AM, Drake said:

It gets attention on sports/football social media, and in the end, it gets future recruits and their parents thinking about Oregon.

For an OLD FART like me....it hard to remember that it is not the actual marketing tactic used, but the Social Media reaction to it--is what gives you tons of coverage.  That is how someone can have a silly take in "X", and yet becomes a viral star.  It is the reaction to what was done or written.

It is an adjustment of thinking for me about marketing; it is not the tactic, but the reaction to it that brings discussion about you.

I shouldn't admit this publicly...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

There are so many things the Oregon machine does which many react in the 'off my lawn' mentality. I find it is kind of funny, especially when they begin to change their ways, and begin to better understand the 'why.'

The uniforms Oregon puts out there is probably the number one shrewdest move. Most of us 'older' crowd just want us to go back to the original, at least one game a season. The machine knows this fires up the student athletes and attracts recruits.

Within the uniforms there is also the shoes. Most don't even understand the significance of the Oregon branded Nike shoes the uniforms come with. Kids love, and I mean love these shoes, obsess about them.

Then there is the billboard, and once again many say it is just to push Bo as a Heisman candidate. What a waist of money, flaunting of money.

What they don't see is exactly as the article articulated. This is a hugely effective marketing ploy for recruits and our brand. 

It's not the first time a writer understood the branding job Oregon was doing, and it won't be the last.

THEATHLETIC.COM

What has become a spirited turf war in fertile recruiting territory started with Oregon's marketing effort in '02 that irked USC's wideouts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2023 at 11:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

The uniforms Oregon puts out there is probably the number one shrewdest move.

That was the No. 1 item cited by B1G media as what they thought of when thinking of Oregon.  And I have the helmets to prove it!

Helmets 1.jpg

Helmets 2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This article is RIGHT ON!!  What great timing.  This Advertisement is meant beyond this season.  It's a send off of Oregon's debuting into the BIG conference.  Like they said "at a global level."  What a great tool for recruiting with the buzz it created.

Excerpt from Nix:

“It’s a lot bigger than me,” Nix said. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammates. It speaks to the university. You know, it speaks to the football program. It speaks to you know, how prestigious it is to go to a place like Oregon and how, you know, one time you’re on one side, and then you get to a school like Oregon and all of a sudden how things can change and how your story can change. And so I’m just blessed.”

Just that alone will bring attention to future recruiting!

Hmm, maybe put a billboard up smack dab in the LA area?  New York (covers the eastern sea board of states, Dallas (Texas) and LA (Southern California).  The perfect trifecta.

Go Ducks!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Yes, great article, thanks for sharing it FishDuck. 

I've loved seeing peoples extended reaction where they are placing the Bo dacious poster other places, like on the pyramids,  Mt. Rushmore, etc.

Love it. Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Great place to advertise...You must click on lower tweet to see BODACIOUS ad...

• Cool 1

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck