GatOrlando

Potentially Positive

When Ohio vs San Diego State is the best game of the weekend, you know it's not great. With the expanded playoffs and conferences, I'm hoping for better early season games. You won't have to worry about being undefeated anymore. You can take an early season loss, especially if it is against a good team.

Conferences should also move to ten game slates, that goes for the SEC, B1G, Big 12, and ACC. I don't wanna see USC vs San Jose State, even Notre Dame vs Navy. Coming up we have Ohio State playing Kent State, Michigan playing Eastern Michigan.

Give us Oregon vs Clemson, Washington vs Tennessee, USC vs FSU, Michigan vs LSU, Wisconsin vs Florida, Penn State vs Georgia, Utah vs Alabama, Texas vs Nebraska. So on, and so on.

You can keep Oregon State on Oregon's schedule. Washington State on Washington's. Stanford or Cal vs USC or UCLA. We don't need preseason games in college football. That era needs to die like the BCS era.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree, Orlando. 10 conference games. And 13 regular season games for Notre Dame if the Domers want to stay independent and qualify for the playoff 10 of the games vs. P4 competition.

But why are you selling the UMass Minutemen short? Big win over NM State in Prime-Time on ESPN! Meanwhile, the Larry gift that keeps on giving managed to hide the 2022 Heisman winner under a bushel. With Oregon opening against Portland State on Saturday on Larry's Loser Network, I suspect the same number of viewers will not be tuning in as tuned in last season's opener versus Georgia. But I expect that Puddles will be doing far more push-ups than in the ATL.  

Meanwhile, San Jose State did not go down without a fight! And The Grinch who stole defense has SC's D looking much better. Right?

SC put up 500+ yards on O but its leading rusher only went for 54 yards. It's one game JJ so chill. But if SC had played Notre Dame yesterday I think the Domers, its O-line and run game would have beat down Troy. 

GatOrlando and JJ, I share your feelings about the lack of inspiring Week Zero and even Week 1 games.

I strongly agree that any independent should play 13 games in order to receive a CFP invite. ND should not get to have their cake and eat it too! Whens the last time the self proclaimed Domers won a Natty?

Maybe, down the road, the first 2 weeks of the season will have some compelling matchups. However, the teams need their tune-up games to get ready for league play. 

One G5 or FCS game and one P5 no exceptions. Then a 10 game league schedule for all leagues with an automatic invite.

The only reason for an Oregon vs Clemson OOC game would be for TV ratings. The schools should get a minimum of $7 to 10 million each to serve the network overlords.

The risk involved for players is greater playing against future NFL talent.

But i would ask this Forum what is the benefit of playing against top 25 teams in your OOC games?

You will face enough of them in your conference games unless you are in the Big 12.

Speaking of Big 12, if Stanford and Cal dont get an AAC invite, look for the BIG 12 to invite them, OSU and WSU into the conference and reduced rates.

If Stanford goes independent then invite SDSU as CALs travel companion.

GO Ducks. Anything less than playing for the PAC title is simply unacceptable.

• Thumbs Up 1

It will pick up, how can it not?

Week 1 - USC(e) vs. UNC - Rattler vs. Maye - Beamer, Jr. vs. Brownie. Florida at Utah. 

Week 2 - Feature match - Texas at Alabama. Undercard - OREGON at Texas Tech. Utah at Baylor. Auburn at Cal. 

Week 3 - Penn State at Illinois, TN at Florida, So. Car. at UGA, BYU at Arkansas, Pitt at W Virginia

Week 4 - Ohio State at Notre Dame. And Prime Time comes to Autzen.

On 8/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Maybe, down the road, the first 2 weeks of the season will have some compelling matchups. However, the teams need their tune-up games to get ready for league play. 

Do they? 

I don't think the good teams really do to be honest. Teams undergoing coaching changes I would say benefit greatly from these games a lot more than the true playoff contenders. 

FISHDUCK.COM

In any normal year, College Football is filled with early games against FCS schools that typically culminate with...

The best teams don't need them. FCS teams and G5 teams do need them but that's for the finances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A game in week 0 is really just another practice. And when it's against gutsy sub par talent like SJSt. you get expected results, just like we saw.

Poor tackling, mixed bag results. We can't really take too much from this game, but I will say that neither their front 7 or O-line scare me much.

I hope we look sharper Sat.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as why an Oregon should play a Clemson, or any other big OOC game happening. I think that comes down to the wild card entrants into the eventual 16 team playoff. Say Oregon, or Clemson aren't conference champions. Say they finish third or fourth, and the committee has to decide between a highly rated G5 school like Boise, Memphis, or P4 members like Oregon or Clemson.

A two or three loss Clemson may get the nod with a good win over Oregon in September. I don't want the G5 to be locked out, but it's highly unlikely three G5 members make it. I realize in my projection that would exclude a Boise from proving themself in an early season OOC. But they could still boost their profile by winning playoff games. 

Kind of be like a Gonzaga, Xavier, or Butler, have become in basketball.

Plus it's a better product. Television dollars right🤣. That's driving everything anyhow. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/27/2023 at 9:55 PM, GatOrlando said:

As far as why an Oregon should play a Clemson, or any other big OOC game happening. I think that comes down to the wild card entrants into the eventual 16 team playoff. Say Oregon, or Clemson aren't conference champions. Say they finish third or fourth, and the committee has to decide between a highly rated G5 school like Boise, Memphis, or P4 members like Oregon or Clemson.

A two or three loss Clemson may get the nod with a good win over Oregon in September. I don't want the G5 to be locked out, but it's highly unlikely three G5 members make it. I realize in my projection that would exclude a Boise from proving themself in an early season OOC. But they could still boost their profile by winning playoff games. 

Kind of be like a Gonzaga, Xavier, or Butler, have become in basketball.

Plus it's a better product. Television dollars right🤣. That's driving everything anyhow. 

Great take. I think the SEC and B1G will control the format for the coming 16-team playoff. A bone will have to be thrown to a G5/6 team if not ranked in the top 16. I do not see automatic bids for conference champions and I see seeding according to the rankings and not the top 4 ranked conference champions seeded 1 to 4.

And more money will go to the conferences that place the most teams in the field and the teams that advance through the field as is the case with the CBB tourney today. And the specific teams that make the playoff from a given conference will get a bigger share than their conference mates. 

Of course, as consolidation continues and the Power 2 adds more teams, we may simply have an AFL - B1G vs. NFL - SEC playoff. With 'hush money' paid other conferences to keep the lawyers and politicians at bay. Bring Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, UNC, and others into the Power 2, and what teams out there will have a realistic shot at the title? Unlike CBB, a mid-major will not win football championships. If CFB does go to a 16-team playoff I see the participating players, under some kind of NIL arrangement or as bargained with a players' union, receiving a percentage of the proceeds. 

The progression to NFL Lite appears to be inexorable. 

• Great post! 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. I think the SEC and B1G will control the format for the coming 16-team playoff. A bone will have to be thrown to a G5/6 team if not ranked in the top 16. I do not see automatic bids for conference champions and I see seeding according to the rankings and not the top 4 ranked conference champions seeded 1 to 4.

And more money will go to the conferences that place the most teams in the field and the teams that advance through the field as is the case with the CBB tourney today. And the specific teams that make the playoff from a given conference will get a bigger share than their conference mates. 

Of course, as consolidation continues and the Power 2 adds more teams, we may simply have an AFL - B1G vs. NFL - SEC playoff. With 'hush money' paid other conferences to keep the lawyers and politicians at bay. Bring Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, UNC, and others into the Power 2, and what teams out there will have a realistic shot at the title? Unlike CBB, a mid-major will not win football championships. If CFB does go to a 16-team playoff I see the participating players, under some kind of NIL arrangement or as bargained with a players' union, receiving a percentage of the proceeds. 

The progression to NFL Lite appears to be inexorable. 

The only reason I want the ACC to add Stanford and Cal, is to hold off the eventuality of a P2. Notre Dame can continue it's independence. The Big 12 may decide to pick up Oregon State, and Washington State to get into the Pacific time zone, like Yormark said. I think there are only a handful of teams the SEC, or B1G would look at now. They're all in the ACC. Once Notre Dame joins the B1G, college football has officially become nothing more than NFL lite, like you said. Two twenty team leagues.

The B1G is the National Conference.

The SEC is the American Conference.

Let's hope that day is a ways off. But as far as what we have now, we need to eliminate preseason games. Florida has Utah this week, but we have cupcakes on the backend. Our A.D Stricklin says it's due to having to navigate through a tough SEC stretch, and we need a breather before playing FSU. Every SEC team does this. The B1G has outlawed games against FCS opponents, something the SEC needs to do as well.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Applause 1