Charles Fischer

Canzano Drops Revenue Value Bomb About LA Schools

OK...I had no idea that the LA schools drove that much value.  Crap, they should have got more.  And so should the Ducks!

From Canzano:

• That got me thinking about USC and UCLA’s media value to the Pac-12. Retired Fox Sports Networks president Bob Thompson told me last year that he projected the Pac-12’s media rights package was worth $500 million with the two Los Angeles schools included and $300 million without them.

• That’s $41.7 million per school with them and $30 million without. The two LA schools were driving a 28 percent increase in media value while each received only 8.3 percent of the pie.

• Thompson’s estimate ended up dead solid perfect. We now know that ESPN offered the Pac-12 exactly $30 million per school in October of 2022. The conference presidents foolishly turned that down and countered at $50 million per school.

• They should have hired Thompson to consult.

Forum Only Brandon Dorlus2.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Some people cant handle the truth, Sad.

No wonder after ESPN/SEC purloined OK and TX Fox wanted to elbow ESPN out of LA. 

The 2 LA schools have more of an impact on the B1G deal than I expected, but I knew that it was a B1G impact.

Metro of 21 million people apparently matters. Love or hate Southern California it was of utmost importance to the PAC.

As an Angeleno, I can say that I NEVER see UCLA or USC sports on in public. It’s all NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. 

I would really like to know how they calculate the % of a market’s eyeballs they can expect to actually tune in. 

I guess in a sense, these revelations do kind of absolve GK. Now the onus falls of course still on LS and whoever was driving the $50 million price tag that caused the whole deal to fall apart.

It is perceived value in my eyes.  The TV executives never give a clear picture as to how they value teams.  Is it metro area, is it eyes on actually watching games, how much is it a combination of both?  Rutgers has terrible TV numbers, but they are considered valuable because they are NYC.