Charles Fischer

Lanning 'GETS' it Unlike Any Other Coach at Oregon...

We all know how you have to game the system as best you can to make the Playoffs, especially if you are from the Pac-12 with one loss later. You need tons of beauty-points, and 'ah-ha' moments for the public when they think of Oregon.

The Bodacious campaign was great for that, and I did not even think of how it would help Oregon reach the Playoffs....until now.

Rich Brooks and Mike Bellotti were too nice to run the score up, and Chip would go into what I called "Turtle-Time" in the second half where they would be calling a play at the LOS, then stop, look at the sideline, and when the play clock wound down--they'd run another Inside Zone for four yards. (Of course Mari's 'Prevent-Offense' never got the score very high)

EVERYONE knew this would be a blowout and expected a 51-10 type of score.  But when they see 81 points?  They say, "whoa," and then remember--"oh yeah....they have Bo Nix back and he must be killing it."

Everyone noticed 81 points, and I appreciate Dan Lanning doing what needs to be done to play-the-game and put Oregon in the best position of public consciousness.  I imagine he knew about these things at Georgia, and it is great to have an SEC mentality running the show.

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Come join Oregon...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

The difference this year, that was mentioned by several of the players after the game, was that there was zero drop-off between squads. 

We didn’t run up the score—we emptied the bench. We didn’t make mistakes or get penalties.We played like a CFP contender.

And frankly, PSU played well. They were totally outmatched but didn’t make a ton of mistakes and played hard. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

The difference this year, that was mentioned by several of the players after the game, was that there was zero dropp-off between squads. 

I would agree with you; our second unit had no drop-off and really destroyed their second unit.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Only way we could've kept the score lower was to take a knee after the half.

• Haha 2

On 9/3/2023 at 9:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

our second unit had no drop-off and really destroyed their second unit

Yay Ty Thompson!! Finally looked like he knew what he was doing. 

And Novasted was ready!

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

Yay Ty Thompson!! Finally looked like he knew what he was doing. 

At the game--he appeared to have confidence and some Mo-Jo, unlike prior years.  I look forward to watching the telecast today to look for on-field "presence," as this goes a long way.

Oregon QBs throw for 86% completions?

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

One area of concern I have and I have zero concern with running up the score, is ZERO sacks and only 3 TFL. 

This is far from Havoc.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

One area of concern I have and I have zero concern with running up the score, is ZERO sacks and only 3 TFL. 

This is far from Havoc.

FishDuck has the answers as to "why?"

Article later this week...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I think what some of the play by play people said was so true. The fact that the offense was on the field so much, took the first team guys out of play. The lack of depth of a PSU squad and the DEPTH of Oregon showed how important good and ready back ups are. BUT I have concerns with the Defense. They play a two deep safety trying to take away the explosion plays, exactly what gassed PSU.  Had this been a deeper, talented team, Oregon would be battling.

EVERY PAC-12 Team WON this weekend.  That is quite amazing.  Colorado, Stanford, ASU, Arizona and Cal all showed up for the last year of the PAC-12.  I believe the transfer portal is the Great Equalizer for some teams, Colorado one of them.  Coach Sanders, seems to inspire the reach deeper, perform at a higher level, what do they have to lose?  All I will say is Tosh get your Defense right, Oregon do not overlook any team.  Stanford do not be a Giant Killer.  Beavers, we owe you and the Dawgs One.  Oregon, last year you were on a roll until the tires went flat and you ran out of spares.  But you showed up for the Bowl game and that is a Fresh Start I look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I too, do not believe Oregon was running up the score.  Too many Freshman in the game and 3rd stringers.  Oregon for the first time, truly has depth and talented recruits.  The Alabama's, Georgias and other elite schools have at least Two Deep and their 3's and 4's would be starting at most other colleges.  Again, a Great thing to have.

But if Bo goes down, do we have Bo 2.0?  While Ty did much better, He still looks tight, not loose enough to stay in the pocket and go through his reads.  His passing was more accurate but again, the PSU defense played a whole game in the first half.

Oregon's season is not about offense, we KNOW we have that.  It is about Defense, making stops against Good teams.  Then Stopping Great teams to win a Championship.  I am not confident we have got there.  No Picks, no fumbles but a great recovery on a muffed punt reception.

We have already learned that Oregon can have talent.  Talent of Coaches and Players but if they are not utilized properly you have mixed results.  Who Knew Herbert would be as great of a QB in the NFL as he is?  Not the talking Pro Heads of NFL Media.  While Bo is a Great Focus for Oregon after a season and Uniforms attract young peoples attention.  Winning Titles dots the i's and crosses the t's.  It is proven.

Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich are two Oregon Head Coaches whose records are pretty impressive, well the first two years under Helf.  Two appearances between them in a National Championship Game.  USC(19 years and counting), UCLA(nearly 70 years) or Washington(28 years) no appearance since 2004?  Washington had an appearance in a Top 4 Playoff but not a National Championship game. Oregon's last time was 2015, nearly nine years ago.  It is Time.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ez, if Mari(o) knew, he didn't show it or do much to show off JH's skills. But today, JH is laughing all the way to the bank and DL is being handsomely paid.

• Applause 1