FishDuck Article

The Fourth Option in Will Stein’s Split Zone RPO

Throughout the off-season, we’ve studied several plays from Coach Will Stein’s offense and made assumptions about options on a few of them. Now, we have confirmation of one of those assumptions. A few months ago, we took a look at Coach Stein’s Split Zone Triple Option and talked about the possibility of the wheel route being a fourth option on ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Throughout the off-season, we've studied several plays from Coach Will Stein's offense and made assumptions about options on a few of them...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great to see another part of Coach Stein's offense explained. Which you do a good job of showing.

Do you think Stein could designate another receiver and add another option?  For instance, have the H back release to the flat instead of blocking.

I love the RPO, especially with a QB like Bo!  

Thanks Eric for writing for OBDF!

• Like 1

Thanks Coach for the 4th option article. Appreciate you taking the time to put this together and break it down for us.

It's fun to look for the plays you have detailed for us, especially watching the replay of the game(s) later in the week.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:16 AM, Smith72 said:

Great to see another part of Coach Stein's offense explained. Which you do a good job of showing.

Do you think Stein could designate another receiver and add another option?  For instance, have the H back release to the flat instead of blocking.

I love the RPO, especially with a QB like Bo!  

Thanks Eric for writing for OBDF!

The H-Back in this play is actually a route. He slices across the formation as though he’s blocking for split zone but then continues into the flat.

• Applause 1

Great stuff, what do you see as compared to Dilly after two games? 

The three attempts up the gut on Saturday reminded me of MarØ, but Stein seems to have some magic up his sleeve too.

Excellent analysis on this RPO, thanks for all you do!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, Haywarduck said:

Great stuff, what do you see as compared to Dilly after two games? 

The three attempts up the gut on Saturday reminded me of MarØ, but Stein seems to have some magic up his sleeve too.

Excellent analysis on this RPO, thanks for all you do!

I think they’re both very good play callers. They run essentially the same offense, which is why I think Stein was hired, Stein just uses RPOs more often. 

I still need to watch the game again, but I’d say there were probably points where they tried to lean on the run game since it’s a strength. 

The offensive line didn’t have their best game, but it’s also only the second game with a brand new OL. They need those reps together, and against different  looks. I think this game really helped them in that way, and they seemed to have things buttoned up a bit towards the end.

The number of penalties also did them no favors in getting things going earlier in the the game.

I think they’re going to be just fine. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

This article above by Eric Boles from Fishduck is the reason this site is better than any other wanna-be site out there and the one everyone who wants to learn more about how things work (or don't) need to read.  Thanks Charles!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Thanks again to Coach Boles, as I love this new variation.  The stress it puts on a defense to be perfect is incredible, and with our athletes on offense--something is going to pop open.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Yes, thank you Coack Boles.  I really enjoy your concise breakdowns.  You make them simple enough for everyone like me to understand.