Annie

Football Schedules for Big 10 and Big 12 Next Year?

Usually schedules are made years in advance.

So how are the schedules going to be made for the revamped Bigs next year? I assume the 2024 seasons had already been planned before the great migration, and now there will have to be considerable shuffling around. Are people working 25 hours a day and 8 days a week to accomplish this?

And when will fans find out what the schedules are?

I would honestly think the football schedules will be a lot easier to do compared to the other sports where you're talking about games throughout the week, I'm sure they are working on it all, starting of course with the fall sports.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the schedules put out until late spring for football, maybe even longer for the other sports.

• Thumbs Up 1

Annie, the only certain thing that we know about next years football schedule is as follows:

1. USC wont be happy

2. UW wont be happy

3. Oregon and PK will be

blamed.

Different season, different conference, the same 2 whiners.

Go Ducks.........

• Haha 9
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

👍

At first, when I read the title of your comment, "Football Schedules for Big 10 and Big 12 Next Year," I first thought... Who cares?

Then I suddenly remembered that the PAC essentially doesn't exist any more. 

Funny how with all of the dramatic changes that have happened so quickly, I find myself, on occasion, forgetting that. But at the same time, excited as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the nonconference contracts are established years in advance (sometimes a decade or more), save a rare kickoff classic contract that we've seen signed on a shorter runway.

The general rotation of conference opponents is know for an established conference with the schedule (dates, not necessarily times) being set during the offseason.  With all the recent conference changes, we're still waiting for a general rotation to be established including any divisions, rivalries, or pods.  We'll likely know who next year's conference opponents are before the end of the season, with a final schedule set (dates) in the offseason after coordinating with schools, venues, and broadcast networks.

• Thumbs Up 2

The real question is gonna be about divisions. Every major conference is adding at least two teams next year. The B1G made a huge deal of no longer having East/West. The Big 12 eliminated divisions a few years ago. The ACC/SEC still have them.

How are you gonna do that flex scheduling with protected rivalries, with such a large conference? Especially if you want every team to play every team ,in a two year window.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:22 PM, Annie said:

Usually schedules are made years in advance.

So how are the schedules going to be made for the revamped Bigs next year? I assume the 2024 seasons had already been planned before the great migration, and now there will have to be considerable shuffling around. Are people working 25 hours a day and 8 days a week to accomplish this?

And when will fans find out what the schedules are?

According to BTN, the conference will do its best to have the B1G 2024 schedule finalized before the 2024 Spring Practices.

How about - OR permanent opponents UCLA, USC, UW, Wisconsin (a lot of history with Oregon.)

UCLA - 'Pac 3 ' and Michigan. Before adding the NW schools, the B1G had Michigan as one of the Bruins permanent opponents. This would not be favorable for UCLA.

USC - 'Pac-3' and if Fox had its way, Ohio State. But I'm guessing it will be a former B1G W division member. Iowa?

UW - 'Pac 3' and Nebraska/Minnesota?

• Thumbs Up 1

After a lot of debate and tinkering due to USC/UCLA the B1G announced the 2024 and 2025 matchups in early June 2023.

They went with a "protected game" model for "rivalries" but it had a lot of variation:  from 0 protected games for Penn State, 1, 2, for others, and 3 in the case of Iowa.

It is doubtful now that Iowa will keep 3, and some others may drop from 2 to 1.  Regardless, the months long analysis laid a lot of groundwork for now adding two more members so it shouldn't take as long.

Here's what it was:  

BIGTEN.ORG

2024 Season to Debut Flex Protect Plus Model with no Divisional Format; Nine Intraconference Game Tradition Continues as UCLA and USC Join the Matchups

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for the link, HDuck.  I expect the B1G will fold UW and the Ducks into the Flex Protect model.  Undoubtedly as each other's "protected opponent."

I just hope all the chronic whining from SUC fans about UO joining the BIG cements UO/SUC as rivals. I'm sure if FOX wants it, it will happen.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I just hope all the chronic whining from SUC fans about UO joining the BIG cements UO/SUC as rivals. I'm sure if FOX wants it, it will happen.

I do think the B1G will limit East Coast to West Coast and vice versa as much as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

With 18 teams, giving each one annual rival, would mean the other 16 opponents could be split into 8's.

For example, Ohio State with annual rival Michigan could play 4 at home, 4 away, in a 9-game (with Michigan) B1G schedule, then flip home and away the following year; then in the third year have a new set of 8 for home and away.  Thus, every 4 year player would have a chance to visit every B1G team's home stadium.  That's something that does not happen in the SEC where teams can go years without visiting The Swamp, for example.

But, the B1G has variation in "rivals."    Iowa has Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.  Historically their main rival is Minnesota.  So, would they be willing to give up annual games with the other two?  Minnesota has Iowa and Wisconsin, and if matched solely with Iowa, what happens to those two annual games for Wisconsin?

Another example, I'm sure Michigan State considers Michigan an annual rival as much as Michigan considers it to be Ohio State.

Thus, a one-team annual rival with 8 rotating appears unlikely.   Maybe some kind of pods?

• Thumbs Up 1