CountryProf

Sanders and Lanning Have a Lot of Respect for Each Other

I love this article that Pennsylvania Duck put up on the  Colorado pregame article thread. Lots of mutual respect between two coaches who have quickly made their teams better.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Colorado Buffaloes coach Deion Sanders had nothing but praise for Oregon in his weekly...

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1

I have been very vocal about my dislike for Deion Sanders. I have my reasons and those reasons are valid. A couple people on this forum are aware of why and how I got to this place and my reasoning behind it.

That said... I also believe that Sanders is genuine. That he truly loves (as a verb) his players and the game of football. I believe, if he could have, he would have taken that hit so Travis Hunter would not have had to.

That brings me to this article. This is actually the first time I have been able to recognize any sense of humility from Deion Sanders. Not saying it was not already there, just saying I couldn't see it.

I am not going to say that the things I find detestable about the man and my reactions to it will wane. But I might be able to recognize the assets he brings to the table as a man. As with most men, we are a mixed bag. Especially those with enormous personalities.

Many here know the dialog I had with another gentleman over the weekend. Many feel the same way I do/did about Sanders. But it brought me to atleast  ponder about my thoughts of Sanders. It forced me to open my eyes a bit where Deion is concerned.

That back and forth is proving to be extreamly valuable. I do not regret it happened. Quite the opposite,  I am glad it happend. I probably have a lot of "Rod Tidwell" attributes. 

I don't like the mans style, I detest it. But at this moment I have a huge admiration of his love for others. It became clear through the events of this weekend and the way Deion Sanders has carried himself in regards to Travis Hunter.

Who knows, maybe I will root for the guy someday.

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

They both have a few things in common. They’re both fairly new to D1 head coaching and both accomplished fishermen. DL likes to fly fish and if you skip to the 7:10 mark on his 60 Minutes interview you hear Deion say “I fish…and I’m fly while I fish”. Deion has actually won a celebrity bass tournament, so he can back up what he says. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is more like it... enough of the trash talking and more of the mutual respect for one another.  Perhaps things have cooled down some.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great comments by Deion---He's bringing us a top 20 team to beat😁

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I also liked that article. Thanks for sharing.

A few thoughts:

● I very much appreciated the Tidwell comparison in the earlier article. I hadn't given that much thought but the idea is eye-opening to me.

● I liked Coach Sanders' comments in defense of the CSU player getting death threats. Appropriate and shows that Coach Sanders is more than just the show.

● I recently had the privilege of attending a presentation by Kevin Elko. Love him or hate him, he was very entertaining. He shared a story about Deion that was interesting to me because I also have been rubbed the wrong way by some of Deion's showmanship:

While playing for the 49ers, Deion  was warming up and getting heckled relentlessly by a guy in the stands. Deion went to the sideline and called out to the heckler to come down. He then told the heckler "Good Gosh bless you. I wish you well" or something very similar. The heckler didn't know how to respond. The point being that Deion, for all his glitz and glamor, is actually above the show. The show is just the show, and reality and people or more important.

If we're being honest, Oregon likes the show too. Maybe in a different way, but is it really that different...?

PS- I hope the Ducks crush the Buffaloes this week.

Edited by bbmichaels

I believe that Lannings comments didn't bother Dion. That's purely my opinion, and speculation at best, but to me, DL's comment only solidifies the effort and success Dion has had thus far.

I mean, Colorado was a train wreck. There's no denying it. Lanning pointing that out only enhances the focus on the fantastic job Dion has done.

It's like seeing a rust bucket in a junk yard, and calling it junk, like it is. But that same junk can be fixed up and made all shiny new. ... Still, it once was a pile of junk. But all credit would go to the man/woman who restored it to its former glory. 

I don't think anyone would get mad for calling it what it once was. Much like Lannings comment - calling Colorado what it once was.

Dion may realize that, but more likely, he just accepts the truth. CU flat out sucked 11/12ths of the time it was in the PAC, before this year. 

More on point, I'm also happy that those two great coaches have mutual respect for each other. And one can only hope that that respect, and regard trickles down to each respective team. We don't need a chippy game, littered with laundry.  

May the best Anas platyrhynchos win! 🦆

(Go Ducks!)

• Applause 1

Say what you want but I bet Colorado and Deion will bring the Ducks 10 mill viewers this weekend. Ducks going to win!~! Woot!!!! Better than anything Larry Scott did for us.

• Thumbs Up 1