Log Haulin

Defensively, Ducks Becoming a Threat!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Where Oregons’ defense ranks nationally in key statistics after non-conference play

These numbers are looking much better from last years numbers. Rushing is a major concern as is special teams, but all in all Ducks sit ranked 30th in the country.

I believe most of the sting on the ground comes from lack of containment of mobile QBs. Get that under control and the rushing numbers should inprove drastically. This weekend is going to challenge these numbers.

A fat WOW on the passing D. The DBs have really performed well so far. One thing that sticks out in my mind is the intermediate passes between the hash. Doesn't feel like the Ducks have been hurt as they were last year in that area of the D.

The competition will get much better from here on out. So the numbers are going to change. My hope is that they can keep total D somewhere in the mid 30's. Going to be a huge task.

Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

A fat WOW on the passing D. The DBs have really performed well so far. One thing that sticks out in my mind is the intermediate passes between the hash. Doesn't feel like the Ducks have been hurt as they were last year in that area of the D.

Lanning went out to solve it and got four experienced savvy DBs from the portal.  So needed when you are going up against Penix, Williams, Rising....

The big surprise?  Jahlil Florence was starting in the Hawaii game!  Starting over Bridges, Manning, Reed, etc.  That means he has really come on strong--the depth at that position is now astounding and NEEDED.

Jahlil Florence Talks Growth at Oregon - YouTube

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The big surprise?  Jahlil Florence was starting in the Hawaii game!

Lanning had big things to say about Florence this week. When asked about Jahlil, his whole face lit up. You could see him struggle to contain his excitement.

Lanning talked about JF stepping up to a high level and that Lanning believes Florence has the ability to reach another level. Thats how I remember it anyhow.

I expect Jahlil Florence to be lockdown by end of season. 

On 9/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

The competition will get much better from here on out. So the numbers are going to change. My hope is that they can keep total D somewhere in the mid 30's. Going to be a huge task.

Go Ducks.

It will be really interesting to see how things shakeout after this next game.  Two over-matched teams and two high-scoring Power-5 teams, one on the road, one at home.  I should think that will give a good sampling and a real good idea where the strengths and weaknesses are going forward with conference play.  GO DUCKS

On 9/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The big surprise?

Not to Dan.  Wasn't this the player he was texting after the Natty when he had THE job?

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is the game for the Oregon defensive backs to step up....

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Jahlil Florence was starting

I think Manning is on a short leash these days.  Seems to be a little reckless at times, which leads to some bad penalties.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 4:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The big surprise?  Jahlil Florence was starting in the Hawaii game!  Starting over Bridges, Manning, Reed, etc.

Even better than him getting the start is that his only stat was 1 tackle, which I believe he made in run support. I can't even remember them throwing the ball in his general direction. 

It's been a little while since the Ducks have had a lockdown corner. I really hope he's the next one in long line of great Oregon corners.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:12 PM, Dave23 said:

Even better than him getting the start is that his only stat was 1 tackle, which I believe he made in run support. I can't even remember them throwing the ball in his general direction. 

It's been a little while since the Ducks have had a lockdown corner. I really hope he's the next one in long line of great Oregon corners.

Agree, when your corner doesn't get mentioned, thats a good thing.

• Like 1