Charles Fischer

Yikes! Huskies Lose Another Starter to Injury...

You know, I want to beat  teams at their best.  (That is the angel on one shoulder)  But on the other shoulder is a distasteful character who just wants-to-beat-the-damn-Huskies any way he can...

Regardless--an offensive line that had injury issues, and is light on depth now has these issues to contend with.

Washington cornerback Davon Banks played well against Boise State.

The Boise State University Broncos played the Washington Huskies in the season opener for both teams Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Husky Stadium, in Seattle, WA.  (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

"I never said I was noble."

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Unfortunately, as long as they have Penix and their 3 stud WR’s they can beat anybody. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/20/2023 at 7:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Unfortunately, as long as they have Penix and their 3 stud WR’s they can beat anybody. 

Ehhh...start putting pressure on Penix and I say they are very beatable

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Pac-12 teams a-hurtin'?

No school has been dinged this season worse than Utah. Losing your starting center hurts but as noted above, so long as Penix has the 3 amigos to throw to it will be tough to hold the Husky's down. 

Utah is down a lot of starters including, both starting OTs injured last week to add to Rising, 2022's 2 best receivers, 2 best DL guys, 2 starting DBs, and 2 RBs.

BUT, they'll probably all be good to go when Puddles trips to SLC.

It's going to take all of the Mighty Muss and Whit's coaching to upset UCLA on Saturday. UCLA did defeat Utah last season as did Oregon. But Utah is 25 and 26 in its last 26 home games and has won 14 in a row at Rice-Eccolls.  

The Utes win over Florida is looking better with UF's decisive win against Tennessee last Saturday. 

Man, this conference in its closing act is a Witch! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

In football and just about any other sport, Injuries are the great equalizer.  On great teams deep in talent, less so.  On teams with less depth, of course, more so.  Colorado as an example may really suffer from the loss of one player, Travis Hunter.  I don't know enough about these guys for UW to know how hard it hits them but losing a center can be serious.  Other than feeling bad about the two individuals, it's UW. I'm playing my violin.... 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's crazy that the Ducks have both depth and virtually no injuries.

At the level Oregon Washington and USC are at, it only takes one injury to derail championship/playoff aspirations -the QB. No Nix, No Penix, No Williams, no show.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, Solar said:

It's crazy that the Ducks have both depth and virtually no injuries.

We've been without Jacobs since the start of the year and Strother has been sidelined as well... both were slated as starters. 

Crazy how we've weathered that. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, Solar said:

At the level Oregon Washington and USC are at, it only takes one injury to derail championship/playoff aspirations -the QB. No Nix, No Penix, No Williams, no show.

That's true with just about any school but esp. in this conference right now.  The one exception "might" be Utah who has managed to stay upright so far without Cam Rising.  Look at Alabama's struggles without a good QB running the offense, tho it might be more than just the QB with them.  Saban may have more problems than just that.  But your point is well made. 

• Applause 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, David Marsh said:

We've been without Jacobs since the start of the year and Strother has been sidelined as well... both were slated as starters. 

Crazy how we've weathered that. 

With both being transfers, I said "virtually" because it's hard to feel like you are missing something you never had.

It is interesting to wonder if guys like boettcher would be seeing any LB time if Jacobs was our best LB on the field as has been projected.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, Solar said:

It is interesting to wonder if guys like boettcher would be seeing any LB time if Jacobs was our best LB on the field as has been projected.

It is an interesting speculation.  But, I'm glad Bryce did get his chance to play - he's proved to be pretty good player at middle LBer.  When Jacobs comes back (if that's his position) he'll have to earn it from a local kid who got his chance.  And competition breeds excellence.