FishDuck Article

Stein Surprises: Oregon Unveils a NEW/OLD Zone-Read?

Is Oregon going to continue using the Zone-Read as part of the Oregon Offense? That was a question I wrestled with this last summer as I studied up on what new Offensive Coordinator, Will Stein, liked to run. The fans were told that most of the Kenny Dillingham offense would remain, and we would see Stein’s own wrinkles into game-plans ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Is Oregon going to continue using the Zone-Read as part of the Oregon Offense? That was a question I wrestled with this last summer as I...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

That is well designed. I am not sure it was blocked correctly  but i will take 8 yrds all day long.

Looks like JPJ kinda wiffed in this play. He never really got a block on this example. 

If the left side of the line holds up for a split second and JPJ recognized the LB in the cut back, thats a touchdown.

Just a well designed play but also shows that the interior line needs just a little more work.

Great example Charles, for more than one reason. Like I said, 8 yards. The rest is just me being greedy

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IIRC, it took Chip Kelly's offenses a while to get the blocking down pat... and those teams were far heavier on using that type of play.

On 9/21/2023 at 3:03 AM, Log Haulin said:

Looks like JPJ kinda wiffed in this play. He never really got a block on this example

This happened often for Chip's O-Line as well.  The important thing is that when a defensive lineman has penetration into the backfield--that the offensive lineman simply shields him from the running back.  That was done in this example, thus it did not blow up the play.

But your overall point is well taken; they do not block this as well as the teams of 2010-2015, because the precise expertise in coaching is unavailable.  I lamented how they treated Steve Greatwood when Helfrich was fired, because when Greatwood left....all the institutional knowledge on "how to block this" was lost.

I went to a coaching clinic a decade ago when Greatwood spoke.  He detailed everything with every step an offensive lineman would take with the Outside Zone...movement of the feet correctly, the placement of the hips, the hand placement, etc.  They truly had it down to science, and thus why they could run it so often, and so successfully.

There was the story of the Oregon State DC in 2009 who shouted in frustration at his defense...."it is the same fricken play!"

Steve Greatwood: Building Depth and Continuity on Offensive Line | FishDuck

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Attending a clinic featuring Steve Greatwood would have been a real honor and learning experience.  No wonder you understand so much about this topic, Charles.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This happened often for Chip's O-Line as well.  The important thing is that when a defensive lineman has penetration into the backfield--that the offensive lineman simply shields him from the running back.  That was done in this example, thus it did not blow up the play.

But your overall point is well taken; they do not block this as well as the teams of 2010-2015, because the precise expertise in coaching is unavailable.  I lamented how they treated Steve Greatwood when Helfrich was fired, because when Greatwood left....all the institutional knowledge on "how to block this" was lost.

I went to a coaching clinic a decade ago when Greatwood spoke.  He detailed everything with every step an offensive lineman would take with the Outside Zone...movement of the feet correctly, the placement of the hips, the hand placement, etc.  They truly had it down to science, and thus why they could run it so often, and so successfully.

There was the story of the Oregon State DC in 2009 who shouted in frustration at his defense...."it is the same fricken play!"

Steve Greatwood: Building Depth and Continuity on Offensive Line | FishDuck

There will be times that this specific play will be executed to perfection. Hat on hat. When, not if, that happens it will be 6.

I am sure when JPJ got back to the sideline he was coached up. The less plays you run, the less the ball is in jeopardy.

I hope this play or similar looks will be run often. Pretty good chunk even though there were slight mistakes made. 

Playing the interior is a tuff place to play, especially stunts. There is a ton of moving pieces and it gets pretty hectic. Guys get lost in the crowd easy.

All in all, it was successful. With a newly formed O line and it being fairlycomplex, 8 yards is a good gain. 

Surprised we haven't heard about Greatwood coming back and helping out a little. Greatwood was one of the great Oregon assistant coaches all-time.

We heard about another great assistant Garry Campbell coming back and getting some love. That kind of knowledge and wisdom is priceless. 

Maybe I missed it, but it would seem having Greatwood come back and give a little insight would be a shrewd move. Has anyone heard about the legendary Steve Greatwood coming back to help Alique Terry?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:30 AM, Log Haulin said:

I hope this play or similar looks will be run often. Pretty good chunk even though there were slight mistakes made. 

Playing the interior is a tuff place to play, especially stunts. There is a ton of moving pieces and it gets pretty hectic. Guys get lost in the crowd easy.

All in all, it was successful. With a newly formed O line and it being fairly complex, 8 yards is a good gain. 

This is a classic Outside Zone in one direction, and it can go for BIG chunk yardage when blocked well.  Because of all the eye-candy on the other side of the play--the Ducks have an excellent chance at hat-on-hat blocking, or close enough to where Bucky can make one guy miss, and take it to the house.  As LaMichael did so often...

If the defender being read does chase the running back--the QB has a lane to pick up chunk yardage on the backside of the defense.

And don't sleep on the Bubble Screen, because with TEs blocking smaller DBs--this could also do well.  Especially with the new freshman No. 18, Kenyon Sadiq, who really has wheels.

Terrance Ferguson and Kenyon Sadiq_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I am still chewing on the thought of what Stein is doing. He is stretching the field horizontally with this play, but it’s also stretching it vertically with Bird-Bombs.

He could end up totally stretching the field, unlike any coach we have had here before!

Mr. FishDuck

Another article from CF that makes this site the best.  A guy can actually learn something about college football besides just chatting with friends.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 3:03 AM, Log Haulin said:

That is well designed. I am not sure it was blocked correctly  but i will take 8 yrds all day long.

Looks like JPJ kinda wiffed in this play. He never really got a block on this example. 

If the left side of the line holds up for a split second and JPJ recognized the LB in the cut back, thats a touchdown.

Just a well designed play but also shows that the interior line needs just a little more work.

Great example Charles, for more than one reason. Like I said, 8 yards. The rest is just me being greedy

LOL, I thought Franklin prematurely stopped too early and missed the continuation block down field on the safety, if he forced him to the sideline.  BUT CHARLES, I loved the Lesson but I am partial to your commentary as we used to watch the film.  Ah, the Good Ole Days.  I know you mentioned you moved, My Hopes is you Brought or are thinking of a way to Bringing back the Helmet Back Ground.  It is Your Trade Mark and one I thoroughly enjoyed.  The Sign of the FISHDUCK!

• Thanks 1