Pennsylvania Duck

Federal Lawsuit to be Filed: Discrimination, Disparate Treatment of Beach Volleyball, Club Rowing Teams

Lawyers retained by current and former members of the University of Oregon’s beach volleyball team and women’s club rowing team are going to file a federal lawsuit against the school for what they say is discrimination against women athletes and potential athletes in violation of Title IX.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Attorney Arthur H. Bryant of Bailey & Glasser, LLP said talks with UO's lawyers earlier this month were “incredibly disappointing,”...

We all saw this coming. Sad. Had hoped they would have resolved this away from courts. Sigh.

Ok. This one is close to my heart. So I am going to intentionally stay a bit vague as to not cause waves.  

First, I have zero knowledge of facts or connection to the women”s beach volleyball team.  So this is zero comment on that situation.

However, this offers ONE opinion on the general situation, so here goes.  I can offer this.  My daughter plays for a UO woman’s sport, albeit not a “premier” one.

The university had been beyond supportive.  To the point of “wow”.  Both from my kid’s perspective and mine as a parent of a student athlete.  Resources are not ever present,  iBut communication on approach is.  She was recruited coast to coast and chose UO because of the environment.  It has exceeded all of our expectations.

Go Ducks.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 1

According to Title 9, the scholarships have to be proportional to the percentage of students at the University.  The most recent statistics I could find were, 45% male and 55% female at the University of Oregon.  If the men have 131.3, then there should be a total of 292 scholarships available at the University of Oregon.  292-131.3 = 160.7.  The women are short 47.7 scholarships. 

I'm not sure how the articles finds 94, unless Oregon isn't offering the max allowed per women's sports.

Also, the Universities don't need to have any support for club sports, so I'm not sure why/how rowing is trying to sue the University of Oregon.

Male 45%     Female 55%  
Baseball 11.7   Acrobatics & Tumbling 14
Basketball 13   Basketball 15
Cross Country/Track & Field 12.6   Cross Country/Track & Field 20
Football 85   Golf 6
Golf 4.5   Lacrosse 12
Tennis 4.5   Soccer 14
  131.3   Softball 12
      Tennis 8
      Volleyball 12

Beach Volleyball 8

Being short 47.7 isn't a minor amount.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, Tandaian said:

so I'm not sure why/how rowing is trying to sue the University of Oregon.

Unless the Univ gives some support to men's crew.  I guess we will have to wait to read the suit.

University of Oregon campus planning committee approves site recommendation for on-campus beach volleyball facility

Ten years after its beach volleyball program was launched, the University of Oregon is making formal progress towards an on-campus facility for its varsity team.

UO’s campus planning committee, in an 8-2 vote with three abstentions, approved a preferred site recommendation for the facility, which calls for three courts to be built at 13th Avenue and Agate Street, during a meeting Tuesday afternoon.

That recommendation goes before university president John Karl Scholz for approval before the design process can begin, then the completed design goes before the committee a second time before another presidential approval and construction begins...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Hamilton Hall is presently located at the site, which was one of five reviewed by the committee. UO plans to demolish Hamilton Hall...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:43 AM, Tandaian said:

Also, the Universities don't need to have any support for club sports, so I'm not sure why/how rowing is trying to sue the University of Oregon.

My understanding of a previous story I read was that they are trying to force the University to make Rowing a full program, thereby closing the gap on the Women's scholarship deficit.