Log Haulin

Chicago Great LB Butkus Dies at 80

Pardon the "Bad-Word" replacement software with Mr. Butkus.  Like the "Richard" Fosbury death reported--people have been known to use the word that is Mr. Butkus's and Mr. Fosbury's first name in a detrimental way.

Having this software saves me a ton of time from sending emails, and frankly--I do not want to be the 'clean-police.'  So we have to tolerate it....

Thanks for your understanding.

Charles

(Although there are probably some former opponents who thought that name of him and worse!)

Mr. FishDuck

As a kid I watched Butkus every game. My best recollection was him wandering around while the opposing QB could not figure what to do with the ball. He finally heaved it into the end zone and Butkus flat on his back caught the ball for a TD. He played on a Bears team that had Gale Sayers in his prime (best RB I ever saw) but they never went anywhere because the old man Halas had won it in 63 and didn't want to spend. 

Those were the days!

Edited by fred flintstone

Interesting guy. Among other great stories is Butkus winning the Player of the Year Award his senior season at Illinois and not showing up for the banquet.

As a teammate commented: Not surprising, jerk never showed up for a class.

He was a scary dude on the field.

RIP.