Jon Joseph

College Football - A Few Musings on Week 6

So many great posts on OBD regarding the Ducks and games played this weekend while Puddles took a nap during Danno's Work Week.

No original thoughts here. I try to coalesce the thoughts of many on the board in one place, hoping for additional thoughts from the great OBD posters.

1. No Country For Old Men. - On the Right Coast (which is the Wrong Coast for viewing sports) the USC triple OT win against a game and gutty Arizona team, ended at 2:25 AM. 

Before OT, Caleb Williams had 11 pass completions. But Caleb found a way through sheer guts and determination to deliver a flawed USC team another win. Amazing!

2. Don't look now, but the UCLA DEFENSE is the top-ranked in the nation giving up but 3.7 yards per play. The Bruins shut down the high-flying Wazzu offense and QB, Cam Ward, with the Bruins outgaining WSU 482 to 216 yards. 

I noted preseason that with the gift schedule handed to UCLA in 2023, no OREGON, and no UW, UCLA was a legitimate dark horse to make it to the Pac-12 champ game. Next Saturday's game at Oregon State, at 8 PM following OREGON at UW, will be a rock fight.

3. As Stewart Mandel of The Athletic so aptly noted in his (far better than my) wrap-up of Week 6 - "Week 6, where the average viewer sitting at home drinking a six-pack could probably manage the clock better than many of the coaches making seven figures." It up this to at least 2 six-packs. 

Regarding our buddy Mario - "Mario Cristobal's astounding clock-management gaffe Saturday night should go in a dictionary next to the word "inexcusable." Personally, I would have chosen "moron." Perhaps this is too harsh? Einstein's definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So, in Fairness to MC, the man is perhaps Game Management Handicapped?

4. What is it about Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman and the number "11?" Down 11 with 9:49 left in the game you go for it on 4th and 11 from your 35-yard line? Brilliant!

In his last two trips to Louisville, Sam Hartman has thrown 9 picks. And the vaunted Irish OL allowed Hartman to be sacked 5 times. The Irish should have lost at Duke and last night ND was physically manhandled and embarrassed. 

So, how good is Ohio State? And how does anyone possibly handicap USC at Notre Dame?

5. Are Oklahoma and Texas ready for the SEC? The better question is, is the SEC ready for Oklahoma and Texas?

Alabama - Surrendered 6 sacks. Put up 23 net rush yards. Committed NINE (9!) false starts. But Jalen Milroe made up for this with 323 pass yards and 3 TDs. 

Texas A+M - Jimbo? A zillion dollars for this?

Punt on 4th and 1 from plus territory?

Down 9 points, with 2 minutes left, kick an FG from the Bama 2-yard line? 

The A+M mascot, Reveille, has more sense and guts, than this and Reveille is working for dog food.

In other SEC news, the LSU defense is still a rumor and Georgia is back to being Georgia.

6. "The B1G Schedules Will Be Far Too Difficult for Oregon!"

Michigan won the Little Brown Jug game at Minnesota last night, 52 - 10.

Michigan's next 3 games? 2-3 Indiana. 2-3 Michigan State. 2-4 Purdue.

Stewart Mandel asks, "What do all these B1G schools do with all that money? Not win football games."

7. About an hour away but I believe it is safe to project that the AP Poll will be 1 Georgia, 2 Michigan, 3 Ohio State, 4 Florida State. 

I have been off Gameday since McAfee happened but I suppose I will have to watch next week.

GO DUCKS!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Some more on the Big 3, err, Big 10.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Saturday Tradition's Alex Hickey shares 1 thing he learned about every Big Ten team in a Week 6 rife with shoddy quarterback play.

Some more on the Pac-12.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC staved off a tremendous upset bid by a feisty and prolific Arizona squad on Saturday night, helping the Pac-12 avoid a second top-15 upset on the day.

Didnt the U-plus Mario beat T A& M?, Mario take a knee Cristobal--LOL-- And what about that great USC defense? How bout Beavis allowing Cal 40?

I think The Ducks are going to go through the PAC like a hot knife through butter.  Fuskies we are coming for you!! Once we finish off the Utes I expect we will be in the top 4 or 5.

I think the 3 best teams are Ga, Mi and Oregon.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

I hate to kick a man when he is down. Well, I kind of hate it.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Mario Cristobal may have just made one of the worst in-game mistakes we've seen by a college football coach.

"The man should be in prison!" That's a bit over the top even for moi.

• Haha 2

Follow the yellow brick road?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Lincoln Riley insists the defense took great steps in Week 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

About an hour away but I believe it is safe to project that the AP Poll will be 1 Georgia, 2 Michigan, 3 Ohio State, 4 Florida State. 

Right now my gut feeling for the final four are in no particular order... 

Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma and Michigan or Ohio State 

I see Florida State tripping somewhere and if they do they'll probably be gone. 

And if my current guy feeling holds, based on next year's conference realignment stuff... it's B1G v SEC.

• Applause 1

Regarding Jon's point number 2 above:

Fortunately for either UCLA (or Oregon?) the two teams don't play this season.  Nor do they play UW.  I guess we won't know for sure how good (or not) UCLA's defense really is until they play Oregon State - the only team left on their schedule with a solid defense.  Perhaps Cal will test them but no one else on the schedule seems likely to.  Chip's team received a very favorable last Pac-12 season schedule.

• Applause 1

I actually would like to play UCLA in the Pac-12 Championship game because if we get that game...we will have beaten nearly all the tough teams on our schedule.  It is very hard to beat the same team twice in one season, and since we do not play the Bruins...it would also add spectator interest to the game.

But first--we have a big step on Saturday...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

AP Poll - #2 Michigan. #3 Ohio State - These 2 will be big B1G opponents.

This Saturday, Michigan has Indiana at home and the Buckeyes trip to Purdue. I don't think that towels will be needed on the Michigan and Ohio State sidelines to mop up the sweat.

Meanwhile - 7. UW vs. 8 Oregon (so glad that these 2 did not get dropped in the bye week.

10. USC at 21. Notre Dame

18. UCLA at 15. Oregon State

Oregon is supposed to be concerned about playing the not-so-B1G 3 teams ranked B1G schedule, right?

The Pac-4 based on today's AP rankings will be bringing 4 ranked teams to the B1G. 6 Pac-12 teams are ranked. 6 SEC teams are ranked.

7 ranked Pac-12 teams.

My bad!

• Thumbs Up 1

2024 Putative Playoff Field using Week 6 AP rankings, taking into account realignment, and using a 5 champ, and 7 at large format.

1. Georgia - SEC vs. 9. Oregon at 8. Washington (This will be shaken up come Saturday.)

2. Michigan - B1G vs. 10. Texas at 7. Penn State

3. FSU - ACC vs. 11. USC at 6. Oklahoma (Think OK fans would like to see this?)

4. Oregon State - MW vs. Utah B12 at 5. Ohio State

6 - B1G

3 - SEC

1 ACC, B12, and MW.

Alabama knocked out by Oregon State and UNC knocked out by Utah. This is why we will see a different format come 2026.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I actually would like to play UCLA in the Pac-12 Championship game because if we get that game...we will have beaten nearly all the tough teams on our schedule.  It is very hard to beat the same team twice in one season, and since we do not play the Bruins...it would also add spectator interest to the game.

But first--we have a big step on Saturday...

Also likely to play against a ranked UCLA at that point as well.

• Thumbs Up 1