GatOrlando

Streaming Football Games

I don't know which is stranger to me, having Herbstreit calling an NFL game with Al Michaels. Or the game being on Amazon Prime.

Ohio State fans were trying to lobby a politician into blocking them from having to have games on Peacock. I'm not joking about that. The argument is because Ohio State is state funded, they should not be able to force Ohio taxpayers to purchase Peacock to watch their games. That's ridiculous on so many levels. You have to purchase a cable, or satellite package to get ESPN.

You gotta love fans sometimes..... Most of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, GatOrlando said:

The argument is because Ohio State is state funded, they should not be able to force Ohio taxpayers to purchase Peacock to watch their games. That's ridiculous on so many levels.

Yep... considering Peacock is cheaper than most streaming services.

Granted... I'm still not thrilled by the proliferation of streaming services. It really does feel like we are getting nickled and dimed everywhere right now. Streaming used to be cheaper... it really isn't anymore.

This year I am completely streaming... or at least going without cable for football watching. I have Hulu Live TV for the majority of the sports stuff (annoying because outside of football I'm not watching much of the live TV options) and then to get the Pac-12 network I use a VPN to connect to Canada (any non-US country would do) and then on youtube you can watch Pac-12 International which is the primary live stream of the Pac-12 network.

Next year I believe I can simplify down quite a bit. Oregon will only be on FOX, FS1, B1G Network, and Peacock... Pretty much all of that is covered in a basic live TV package... I think a cheapy program on Sling might even be an option.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, David Marsh said:

Granted... I'm still not thrilled by the proliferation of streaming services. It really does feel like we are getting nickled and dimed everywhere right now. Streaming used to be cheaper... it really isn't anymore.

This year I am completely streaming... or at least going without cable for football watching. I have Hulu Live TV for the majority of the sports stuff (annoying because outside of football I'm not watching much of the live TV options) and then to get the Pac-12 network I use a VPN to connect to Canada (any non-US country would do) and then on youtube you can watch Pac-12 International which is the primary live stream of the Pac-12 network.

Next year I believe I can simplify down quite a bit. Oregon will only be on FOX, FS1, B1G Network, and Peacock... Pretty much all of that is covered in a basic live TV package... I think a cheapy program on Sling might even be an option.

Yeah, Sling is a little weird.  ESPN is on the "orange" package while FS1 is on the "blue" package, both are $40 stand alone or $55 to get both.  B1G Network is on the supplemental "sports" package for an extra $11 (though it also includes the networks for SEC, ACC, FS2, NBA TV, etc.).

On 10/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, David Marsh said:

It's gonna seem weird to me next year when the SEC moves to ESPN, and the B1G goes to CBS. The biggest positive for me as a Gator fan is no more Gary Danielson. I'm sorry in advance for your first Danielson game. " I don't know Verne, that didn't look like pass interference to me. Look Verne, that is not pass interference. Verne, that call wasn't right. No pass interference!!!"

He'll point out out the flaws in the lower ranked team. He'll shill out for the favorite, especially if it's one he has an affinity for.

I got rid of cable and I mainly use IPTV. It just requires an internet connection and a smart TV for the app. I pay $14 a month for 3 devices. I get about 10K channels which includes movies, all sports (ESPN, FS, B1G, PAC 12, etc.)and entertainment channels and live TV which means every network channel in all major US cities. So, if I want to watch Chargers/Broncos I can tune into the CBS Los Angeles affiliate or the Denver affiliate. I also get the UFC PPV fights for free which is an added bonus.

Since cable is not an option for communities like ours 30 miles from the nearest town, and satellite service is so iffy and spotty in the winter months here in the mountains, streaming is about the only real option for customers like myself.  But streaming networks have so patch-worked the coverage between themselves that one has to subscribe to a multitude of services to get just the handful of channels wanted.  

Face it, to get collegiate and professional sports, open the wallet wide.  No one ever said the 'circus for the people' would be cheap or easy.  It used to be, years ago when the broadcast networks reigned and everything was free.  But mankind has 'progressed' beyond that.

• Applause 1

Worst part for me about paying to watch TV is the commercials you are forced to watch while the players stand around on the field staring at each other. So you basically are paying twice to watch games. Drives me batcrap crazy.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, Just Ducky said:

Worst part for me about paying to watch TV is the commercials you are forced to watch while the players stand around on the field staring at each other. So you basically are paying twice to watch games. Drives me batcrap crazy.

One could understand the need for commercials when the broadcasts were free to the viewer.  One cannot understand it when the consumer is already paying to watch the streams.  I'm entirely with you on this, Ducky

When cable first came out I can’t remember any commercials at the start. If you want things commercial free you have to pay extra on most sites that offer it. What a great deal, NOT!!!

• Go Ducks! 1

I have no tv.

What program do I need to stream Duck/Wa St game tomorrow?

Supposedly it is on ABC.  I am looking at sling, but it says abc is not available in our zip.

The sports package says PAC 12/Oregon but I do not know if that is pac 12 network or Oregon games.

I have been watching for quite awhile on free streaming programs but the buffering issue has been getting worse over time.

Any advice is appreciated.  

Thank you.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, Just Ducky said:

I saw a thread (somewhere) complaining about how stadiums are struggling to keep fans engaged. 

The problem isn't that fans don't want to engage but some of those ad breaks are so long that it just kills the excitement. Stadiums are doing their best to keep fans engaged but when you are just sitting there for an ad time out it kinda sucks. 

Media companies demanded rule changes to shorten games but games don't need to be shorter ... The ad breaks need to shrink so we get more game time. 

When November rolls around and it's a cold and rainy day ... Do fans want to sit or stand in the rain during an ad timeout or be at home? 

As always depends on the game... But the killer if college football isn't the lack of fan interest... It's the media companies killing conferences and rivalries and the games themselves with ad breaks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

But of course, it never rains at Autzen!

The 2.5 to 3.5 minute ad breaks give me time to hit the concession stand, restroom, stretch my legs. The problem, of course, is that there are far too  many ad breaks! I always think of that scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie has just cracked the secret code and he discovers that it is just another "crummy commercial."