FishDuck Article

Is the Jumbo Formation Back for the Ducks?

Did the coaches read my article last week after Oregon’s loss to Washington asking where the Ducks’ Jumbo Formation has gone? Probably not, but it’s nice to think they did, as Oregon really did lean on its run game and the power element of its offense in their win over the Washington State Cougars. Both Bucky Irving and Jordan James ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Did the coaches read my article last week after Oregon's loss to Washington asking where the Ducks' Jumbo Formation has gone? Probably...
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Did Stein read your article, not sure, but he should have. Did Stein read this weeks article not sure but he should, well done!

Not sure there is a grad assistant position available, but at least an offensive analyst position. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

David, thanks for your observations on the jumbo. The beauty of the formation and it's power run-oriented cousins is that you are not limited to the run. Witness last year's pass completion TDs to Matavao and Conerly.

The use of pre snap motion gives Bo an idea of what will be the defensive weakness to attack. The entire defense is drawn in to stop the power run. Sadiq's crossing motion block that gave Bo the inside path to run through the 5 (or 7 depending on how you look at the formation) gap and score against Wazzu was beautifully executed.

There is no reason there can't be an element of RPO built into the jumbos on goal line and short yard situations. All three TEs, the RB, QB and one other player like an eligible O-lineman can make a play. TFerg, PHerb, Kelly and Sadiq are all capable of making the block or sneaking out behind the defense and making the catch.

The O-line are Papé-Cat D9 level bulldozers that can move fast enough to exploit any uncertainty that the defense has about what Bo is going to do. Let's hope that Stein develops this concept against the really good defenses, like Utah and OSU, that are coming up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wish Stein would implement this package on manageable yardage situations as well. There are constraint plays that could be run off this formation. It forces a defense to either sell out for a strength vs. strength match-up at the LOS, which opens up a receiver, running-back, QB keeper; or attempt to play their regular 3rd-4th down coverage. Stein should love the options this play gives a smart QB like Nix

This is the play I wished Oregon would have run last year against Washington. The D was showing extra men at the line and the call could have easily been made to pop Whittington outside rather than straight up the gut (where he slipped). He could have either handed the ball to him or swung a pitch to him (Like OSU did to Utah in the 4th down that went to the house). I hope Stein/Lanning re-discover the benefits of 14-J. We may need a long, time-killing drive to close a game out. This does the trick

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree David, it was fun to see an Old "I" Formation again, and the jumbo near the goal line.  What I love about this old "I" formation, is how you line up balanced, and thus the defense has to line up balanced, because they don't know what side you are running to.

Thus whichever side the fullback is going to...we have an extra blocker on that side.  BTW, I loved how Casey Kelly, who is a tight end lined up as a fullback, really stuck the linebacker/safety and created a nice gap for Jordan James to bull through the rest.

Fun-fun.  Thanks for the article!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I’ll admit, I smiled when I saw Bo Nix line up under center in the i-formation with Oregon’s throwback jerseys, near the goal line. Brought back some good memories…