DrJacksPlaidPants

Do You Have Favorite Teams in Other Conferences?

I’m just seeing if anybody else has teams in other conferences that they pull for when the Ducks aren’t playing. I have one or two in each conference except the B1G. For some reason none of their teams ever really appealed to me. This works out nicely for obvious reasons. My favorite team(s) from each conference are listed below.

BIG 12: Texas Tech

My best friend went there and I’ve been to a few games with him. Great atmosphere. However, Utah will be on my list next year.

SEC: South Carolina

It’s within driving distance of my home, so we go down there for a game each season. The atmosphere is unreal. They fill that stadium no matter their record and they get bonus points for the “rooster crow” and Sandstorm.

I went to college in the state of Arkansas, so I’m a sympathetic Hogs fan. Many of my friends were fans that I found myself pulling for them.

ACC: Miami

They were the coolest thing going when I was a teenager in the 80’s. I was and still am a huge Jimmy Johnson fan. I know I’m supposed to hate Mario, but he never lost to the Fuskies and he got the ship righted after Helfrich/Taggart. Also, a Rose Bowl trophy and two PAC championships helps.

Bonus: Appalachian State

Beautiful campus and great place to go watch a game. Especially when the leaves are turning. I’m also pretty sure this is where my daughter and money will be going.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been following Georgia in the SEC. And, I'm a year early, but Utah will be my favorite team in the Big 12 starting next year.

I love the question, my answer is, “No.”

Everyone else sucks and is overrated.

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

Since moving to Arizona I've seen what "West Coast" Football is. California, Stanford, UCLA, and even USC football fans can be very hot/cold as far as investment.

Oregon, Washington, and Utah fans seem more lively imo. Arizona is more of a basketball school, I don't know what I'd label ASU as. It used to have a party school reputation, much like FSU. But Crow is into academics now, so I don't know what sporting event they like.

I've grown to appreciate Oregon as my secondary team. Until Napier, or whomever else can ever get Florida going again, I'll root for the Ducks come playoff time. Hope you make it this year. Tough elimination game on Saturday though.

• Thanks 1

Reluctant to put this out there, but I regularly root for Michigan…….my daughter went to law school there and my grandson is a freshman, so I am somewhat obligated.

That said, I rooted heartily for the Ducks when they beat Michigan twice a few years ago……and I’ll never forget the sight of Dennis Dixon prancing into the end zone as the Michigan defense looked bewildered.

And as a Cal alum, I occasionally cheer for the Golden Bears, but not with the same exuberance I exhibit when cheering on the Ducks……unless they’re playing Stanford.