Charles Fischer

Whoa. Is A'lique Terry Outperforming Adrian Klemm as O-Line Coach?

I just wanted to put this up on our awareness radar to watch in the last half of the season. This 2023 offensive line is outperforming everyone's expectations, and is one of the best in the nation at protecting Bo Nix, just as last year's offensive line did.

But the key to offensive success is balance, IMHO, but that balance starts with a great running game.  Last year we had a superb running game averaging 215 yards rushing per game, and my criteria of a good rushing game or season is the 200 yard mark.

Now, I know we have the meat of the schedule left, and frankly--this year's schedule in the conference is tougher than last year's IMHO again.  But through the seventh game--Oregon is rushing...

225 yards per game!

This will be fun to watch for in the remainder of the season!

Bucky between the tackles_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

When I read about Alique Terry’s background I was surprised he was chosen to replace Adrian Klemm. Very young, and with little time to have established a recruiting pipeline.  Then they went out and hired veteran OL coach Mike Cavanaugh to assist.

I then thought that DL and his advisors are pretty savvy about replacing key members of the football coaching staff. 

Players want to go where they can win, and be groomed for a potential run at the NFL. Looks like A’lique, and Mike are off to a good start. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

YES! Considering the experience of the new OL, most definitely.

A great job. 4 sacks given up to date.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, Drake said:

When I read about Alique Terry’s background I was surprised he was chosen to replace Adrian Klemm. Very young, and with little time to have established a recruiting pipeline.  Then they went out and hired veteran OL coach Mike Cavanaugh to assist.

I feel like the hiring of Mike Cavanaugh is the most understated staff addition of the year.  It wouldn't be surprising that his experience and guidance has directly led to substantial growth of Alique as a position coach.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, kirklandduck said:

I feel like the hiring of Mike Cavanaugh is the most understated staff addition of the year.  It wouldn't be surprising that his experience and guidance has directly led to substantial growth of Alique as a position coach.

Completely agree, a monster hire.  I cursed Cavanaugh's name when he was at Oregon State for the great rushing numbers they had, and the superb technique the Beavers employed.

First, our coaches go out and get Cornelius, who has been lights-out for us at right tackle, and then the blend of new starters, but players who have played quite a bit in the past is impressive.

I feel good about the future, but I sure am curious about Strother and the Texas transfer.  Are they taking medical redshirts and coming back for 2024?

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Completely agree, a monster hire.  I cursed Cavanaugh's name when he was at Oregon State for the great rushing numbers they had, and the superb technique the Beavers employed.

First, the our coaches go out and get Cornelius, who has been lights-out for us at right tackle, and then the blend of new starters, but players who have played quite a bit in the past is impressive.

I feel good about the future, but I sure am curious about Strother and the Texas transfer.  Are they taking medical redshirts and coming back for 2024?

I think it would be a good idea for DL to find another mentor-type figure to bring on as an analyst to help out Will Stein.  He's very intelligent and adaptable but is still rather green as an OC and it shows at times as we're all aware.  TBH if someone like Mark Helfrich or Scott Frost wanted to consult part time for a year in that sort of role, I'd be all for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's also incredible is how good this offensive line is with so many new starters. I will say this group is very talented on paper and most have played quite a bit of college ball before starting for the Ducks. 

But... The hardest thing to get the offensive line to do is work as one. They have been doing it since game one. 

Sure there have been some annoying penalties but that's just the way it is... And oddly enough it doesn't tend to regularly be the same guys. 

Against TT it was Conerly generating the flags but not so much since. 

Last game was not a good one for Cornelius but I expect him to be fine next game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles I totally agree with your analysis.  This years OL is about as good as it gets, and the coaching has been superb, it makes one think that this is going to be an every year issue, and it sure will help us recruit outstanding RB's.

Yes Lanning has made a few errors, but boy has he put together a coaching staff.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1