Charles Fischer

Never Read This About Oregon...NEVER

My apologies, as I've been busy today and have not got to the Oregon Media Press Releases until now.  The Ducks are now one of 12 Semi-finalists for the Joe Moore Award for the nations best offensive line. I could not believe what I came directly from the committee below!

From the JMA Committee:

"Man, these dudes out here on the West Coast are trying to hurt people’s feelings. Like it's personal to them. They play with a physicality and finish to them that is glorious to watch. They’ve become a JMA mainstay due to their steady play and ability to grind on teams in the run game."

"They look to punish and pile drive in pass pro, and display a level of physicality that is rare in today’s college game. Fun unit with the goods to advance, if not win it."

Wowsa. What you see above is something Brooks or Bellotti could not recruit to, and Cristobal could not develop or properly utilize. Such laurels from the people studying the offensive lines nationally? I have never read anything like that read about Oregon before...good gosh we have something special going on!

Offensive Line_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

Below is the rest of the press release:

Oregon’s offensive line has been among the nation’s very best in 2023, leading the FBS with just four sacks allowed and tying for third with only 32 tackles for loss allowed. The Ducks are the nation’s top-graded pass-blocking team by Pro Football Focus at 89.7, while ranking second with a 94.2 rushing grade.

UO has picked up where it left off in 2022 – when the Ducks led the nation with just five sacks allowed – despite having to replace four starters on the offensive line. The O-line has set the tone for an offense that leads the nation in scoring (46.3 PPG), first downs per game (26.8) and fewest turnovers (4), while ranking second in total offense (540.0 YPG), yards per rush (6.16) and total yards per play (7.84). 

Oregon has dominated the Joe Moore Award Pancake Block of the Week honor this season, with three different Ducks combining to win five times. Jackson Powers-Johnson has won three times, while Ajani Cornelius and Steven Jones each won it once. (Mr. FishDuck note--these pancakes are what is bringing the syrup!)

Powers-Johnson has been one of the nation’s elite centers in his first season as the starter, ranking second at the position with a 90.2 pass-blocking grade from PFF while leading Oregon with 31 total knockdowns. He also ranks fifth among all centers in overall grade (78.8) and sixth in run blocking (77.5). 

Jones is the highest-graded pass-blocking guard in the Pac-12 at 90.9 by PFF, ranking fourth among all FBS guards.

As a team, Oregon has allowed just 30 quarterback hurries and 36 total pressures in 10 games. The Ducks are one of just 11 teams to start the same five players on the offensive line in every game this season.

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2023 at 6:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My apologies, as I've been busy today and have not got to the Oregon Media Press Releases until now.  The Ducks are now one of 12 Semi-finalists for the Joe Moore Award for the nations best offensive line. I could not believe what I came directly from the committee below!

From the JMA Committee:

"Man, these dudes out here on the West Coast are trying to hurt people’s feelings. Like it's personal to them. They play with a physicality and finish to them that is glorious to watch. They’ve become a JMA mainstay due to their steady play and ability to grind on teams in the run game."

"They look to punish and pile drive in pass pro, and display a level of physicality that is rare in today’s college game. Fun unit with the goods to advance, if not win it."

Wowsa. What you see above is something Brooks or Bellotti could not recruit to, and Cristobal could not develop or properly utilize. Such laurels from the people studying the offensive lines nationally? I have never read anything like that read about Oregon before...good gosh we have something special going on!

Offensive Line_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

Below is the rest of the press release:

Oregon’s offensive line has been among the nation’s very best in 2023, leading the FBS with just four sacks allowed and tying for third with only 32 tackles for loss allowed. The Ducks are the nation’s top-graded pass-blocking team by Pro Football Focus at 89.7, while ranking second with a 94.2 rushing grade.

UO has picked up where it left off in 2022 – when the Ducks led the nation with just five sacks allowed – despite having to replace four starters on the offensive line. The O-line has set the tone for an offense that leads the nation in scoring (46.3 PPG), first downs per game (26.8) and fewest turnovers (4), while ranking second in total offense (540.0 YPG), yards per rush (6.16) and total yards per play (7.84). 

Oregon has dominated the Joe Moore Award Pancake Block of the Week honor this season, with three different Ducks combining to win five times. Jackson Powers-Johnson has won three times, while Ajani Cornelius and Steven Jones each won it once. (Mr. FishDuck note--these pancakes are what is bringing the syrup!)

Powers-Johnson has been one of the nation’s elite centers in his first season as the starter, ranking second at the position with a 90.2 pass-blocking grade from PFF while leading Oregon with 31 total knockdowns. He also ranks fifth among all centers in overall grade (78.8) and sixth in run blocking (77.5). 

Jones is the highest-graded pass-blocking guard in the Pac-12 at 90.9 by PFF, ranking fourth among all FBS guards.

As a team, Oregon has allowed just 30 quarterback hurries and 36 total pressures in 10 games. The Ducks are one of just 11 teams to start the same five players on the offensive line in every game this season.

What has stood out to me is how often I see Oregon linemen downfield bludgeoning the scrum forward. Not only are they moving the pile ahead for a few more yards, but they are inflicting obvious hurt on the defensive players, and they know it’s taking a toll.

Impressive and a joy to watch!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Very nice to read, Charles.  Thanks for this!

We saw this most emphatically in the Utah game.  Utah wasn't prepared for what happened to them.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kelly Dillingham recently compared Oregon's defensive line to Georgia's last year in terms of physicality and toughness.  

Our coaches, starting with Lanning, are obviously focusing on this with the entire team but it all starts up front with both the offensive and defensive lines.

• Thumbs Up 4

Now... get those penalties under control gentlemen!

Granted... I do think there may have been some shenanigans with USC's defensive front. USC was penalized once for giving off disconcerting verbal signals that could make the offensive line jump. And lets be honest here a team doesn't get that penalty if it happens only once in a game, they get that penalty if they keep showing signs of a similar behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if it was USC's defense yelling out signals that sound like Nix is calling to hike the ball.

There were just way too many unusual false starts against USC. Yeah, the Ducks have a problem with false starts at times but that was way more than normal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, David Marsh said:

Now... get those penalties under control gentlemen!

Amen to that.

Penalties are the major issue with the O-line now but, my oh my, the talent level is great. Solid across the board with maybe Jones as the weakest link. Yet any Pac-12 OC would be thrilled to have him. 

I try to watch Pancho every time he gets in. What a talent. Subs well for JPJ at center when needed and is a beast at the RG slot. If Oregon can hold on to JPJ, Harper, Conerly and maybe Cornelius next year, with all the talent behind them, it will be a superb O-line.

• Thumbs Up 1