Charles Fischer

Beavers Ask the State for 30 MILLION....Because of Oregon?

In John Canzano's article today, he refers to a state politician and the quote made me choke...

"A member of the state legislature pointed out that the Beavers showed up in the state capitol last week and asked for $30 million in assistance due to the Pac-12 implosion."

Yep, it is due to all of us, not you.  It is OUR fault that you have a poor brand, and a small fan base that not any of the Power-5 conferences wanted any part of--even at a massive Cal/Stanford discount.

The narrative is now well beyond the fans, as there is no accountability by OSU administration.

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guess they need some $$$$ to pay for their stadium expansion that made it smaller. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

This is a great example why we should never shed tear one for that program.  I hope they die a very public and painful athletic death.  I will be in the corner laughing.

I just don't get all the posts of concern for OAC athletics from people on here.  What do they add?  Do people enjoy paying taxes that go support a dying entity?

The state is just big enough for one real college athletic program.  Always has been, always will be.

I can't wait until the day comes when they dynamite their new set of high school bleachers to expand a sheep pasture.

• Yikes! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2023 at 1:05 PM, DC Featherbutt said:

I just don't get all the posts of concern for OAC athletics from people on here.  What do they add?  Do people enjoy paying taxes that go support a dying entity?

Those statements were made about Oregon when I attended the University. The beginning of the Rich Brooks era of football was very sketchy at best. We could beat Portland State and the Rodents…that was pretty much it for a few years. 

Our first bowl game game in almost thirty years was the independence bowl in 1989 and we were ecstatic to get the invite. 

OSU is a State institution, first and foremost, letting it drown does not help the state of Oregon.  At times there is a need to help the neighbor, even though you may not like them. 

I think the business decision comes down to what $30 million does for OSU, and is there some type of return that can be expected, or are we just throwing a heavy rock to a drowning man?

• Thumbs Up 3

Beavs will be happy in the MTN West.

Tempest in a state court teapot. If the state judge's ruling, which included an admonition against OSU and WSU using this ruling to benefit both at the financial injury of the 'Pac-10.'

OSU and WSU now find that they owe a fiduciary duty to the board-disenfranchised Pac-10.

This, close to legal ipso facto, will not allow the 2 'winners' to set aside the existing agreement as to how conference money is split, including playoff money. 

Want to try this 'winners?' Then the Comcast clawback and the SFO facilities clawback are on you. 

A state court ruling will be appealed in Washington. Should the WA Supreme Court OK the ruling, then it will be further appealed. And nothing prevents the CA schools, for example, from filing a measure in state court in California or the Pac-10 going to federal court based upon multi-state jurisdiction.

OR St in particular is shooting itself in the foot. Negotiate in mediation for the Pac-12 trademark, reverse merger with the MW, and OR St is in the 2024 playoff. With a 1st round bye and mucho playoff money if The Beavers negotiate properly with the MW.

UW president Shultz is the Pac-12 representative on the PO Board of Overseers. He craters the recommended move for the 2024 PO going from a 6-6 model to a 5-7 model and woe is him, OSU, and WSU, come 2026. Why does the Power 2 need these 2 in a playoff?

I never want OREGON to play these guys again and I hope both UW and OREGON punch the Beavers in their buck teeth.

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State University loaned their athletic department $31.8M to cover the Covid season deficit.  Then they decided to spend $160M+ to expand Reser Stadium, including $45M in bonds. 

Sounds like poor financial management and nothing to do with Oregon. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, Drake said:

OSU is a State institution, first and foremost, letting it drown does not help the state of Oregon.  At times there is a need to help the neighbor, even though you may not like them.

Yes, it is a state institution, and yes, the state needs farmers, pharmacists, home economists and doggy doctors.  The STATE does not need a non self sufficient and under supported athletic department.

Neighbor?  Be careful how you use that word.  I suppose you have never visited sites like Benny’s House or the old Pure Orange.  Those posters are your neighbors.  When their house catches fire I’m not going to do so much as unroll my garden hose.

As far as OBD’s history, I (like you) know it well.  My Grandfather coached football at Oregon from 1950-1977.  He would take me to practice after school.  Dixie Casanova used to babysit me.  I used to give Dan Fouts cups of water on the sidelines.  My undergraduate degree is in a forest green and lemon yellow folder.  John Robinson was at my wedding………that entire duck life was spent looking at schools and states like Nebraska and wondering what if…..

……Could Oregon become a Nebraska of the 80’s?  We may be on our way.  Yay.

Too bad beav.  Now fill my prescription.  I have a case of Duck Fever.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/16/2023 at 5:36 AM, DC Featherbutt said:

The STATE does not need a non self sufficient and under supported athletic department.

There are over 250 division 1 colleges. There are about 25 each year that are able to fully fund their athletic departments budget. College athletics generates billions of dollars, with billions of dollars of expenses.

There is an economic impact associated with that type of money movement. 

Personally, I believe giving $30million to OSU is a big rock being thrown to a drowning man.

I certainly would not give them the monies out of compassion. It is 100% a business decision.

But, I am willing to listen to what they project that those monies will do for them and make a decision on facts and projections of future revenues.