FishDuck Article

Beavers are Over-Valued, Over-Paid, Ungrateful and Unaccountable

I'm taking back my comments here on the forum where I stated that I thought it unlikely that Beaver coach Johnathan Smith was going anywhere after the season.  I thought he was pretty much entrenched in Corvallis. 

This morning I heard a sound bite on KPNW radio where Smith, when asked about being approached by other schools, gave a rather disturbing answer (if you're a Beaver fan) about his "not wanting to be sarcastic" etc. "but isn't that what coaches have agents for?"  If his agent is earning his money (which is a lot) than he had better be out there exploring the landscape for opportunities. Or words to that effect.

Sounds like he might be looking to jump ship for greener pastures.  Either that or this is one huge sandbag job.  If I were a Beaver fan, (a serious Beaver fan, that is) then I'd be more than a little nervous right now. 

I wonder how this will affect the team's morale - if any at all?

Since the 2000 the school with the most post season appearances is not USC, UCLA, or UW. Oregon has been in bowls, big and small, more than any member. They are followed by USC, UCLA, and UW.

Oregon has continued to invest in the sports that makes the rest of the members money. Hayward is amazing and will continue to add value!

Since the Beavis finally invested in football last year, the 10 departing schools should just allow them to take money that it hasn't earned...that only seems right.

On 11/22/2023 at 7:37 AM, criticalduck said:

...the 10 departing schools should just allow them to take money that it hasn't earned...that only seems right.

That ain't right.  You know...if they took most of the future revenue streams--because they are still in the conference--I could understand that.  But to steal 35 million away from Oregon from this year's revenue?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, criticalduck said:

Since the Beavis finally invested in football last year, the 10 departing schools should just allow them to take money that it hasn't earned...that only seems right.

I used to feel that way, but no more. 

But I'm glad to provide the RiverRats with the door prize now known as the PAC-Deuce.

As in, I just dropped a Deuce.

(sorry Charles, if I just went a bridge too far with that last line 😉 )

Edited by Desert Duck

Smith's comments were very interesting to say the least.  Is he playing a leverage game with his AD, maybe.  Putting it on his agent was an interesting take as well.  

I might have taken the high road here and said something like, 'John, I understand you asking but we have a big game this week and I am solely focused on that'.   It's coachspeak for sure but Smith really fanned the flames IMO. 

Of course most anything he said or didn't say was going to be scrutinized but there are times when it's best to let the sleeping dogs lie for the moment.