Charles Fischer

Concerns About Flexibility with Oregon OC Will Stein...

While I liked what I saw of Will Stein at UTSA, and of his background and track record...and just the fact that Dan Lanning has killed it in hiring coaches--I still had a couple of major concerns coming into the season.  Some I wrote about here and in articles on FishDuck.com, and a few--not until now. 

I was concerned about:

--Would Stein mix things up, and pull out new plays at key moments?

--We would have four new starters on the offensive line; while I had confidence in most of the players returning and joining us, but would he use them to their fullest, or would he be hampered by them being partly Cristobal players, and by not being in his offensive system in the past?

Concern No. 1:

He is slowly unveiling more plays and formations as the season progresses, and that makes it very difficult for opposing defensive coordinators to prepare for.  And I think he has more in his back pocket to be revealed soon...

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Concern No. 2:

Stein is using the offensive line like I never thought would occur; as it is--he is pulling OL into open space to make big blocks, and in my film session in the OBD Get-Together I showed how our center was out on the perimeter on an old Outside Zone Read...just like Hroniss Grasu in the glory days!

Then we saw this last week?  That is 340 pound Steven Jones (No. 74) who is WAY downfield with his teammates to pave a touchdown?  Whew!

Steven Jones leading Patrick Herbert_Eric Evans of Oregon Football.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

More stats I was not aware of....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

• Great post! 1
  • Like 4

Mr. FishDuck

My only remaining concern with Will Stein is his creativity/play selection on 4th and short. There are plenty of plays to scheme guys wide open and/or to provide RPOs with a mobile QB.  I hope that he has added some of them to his playbook in case we need them in our remaining games.

Two things that I have been most pleased with (1) letting Bo retain complete control of the offense, including the ability to check at the line of scrimmage and (2) his development of QBs, as Ty Thompson looks 💯 better out there this year.

Stein appears to be another great hire by Dan Lanning (we'll have to see how he does over the next few years without Bo Nix at QB).

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Go Ducks! 1

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Charles!  Good stuff to absorb on game day morning!

If both teams play to their potential, OBD should take an early lead and steadily pull away from the Beavs.

I will be seeing 2 Beaver loving brother this weekend, and am looking forward to a complete Duck victory.  It was tough to hear them crowing last year, and revenge will be sweet!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good stuff Charles!  

The only thing that concerns me about Stein being the Ducks OC is if and when the Ducks play my Dawgs in the Playoff!!!🤣😂🤣.  

I haven’t been able to watch every game, and sure, having Bo Nix at QB is a huge plus.  But the man certainly seems to know what he is doing.  One of the top offenses in FBS isn’t achieved by accident 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2