Charles Fischer

Sunday Update! A BIG Recruit Visited With Now THREE New Crystal Ball Predictions to Oregon...

247Sports' Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong and analyst Brandon Huffman have both put in a Crystal Ball  to Oregon for Fairfield (Calif.) Armijo defensive lineman Jericho Johnson.  He is a big Nose Tackle we need bad, and he is deciding between the Huskies, USC and Our Beloved Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well Oregon has a good pitch here. 

Come to Oregon and learn under some elite coaches and an elite minds. Play for a head coach who cares about defense and is going to push you to get the most out of you. 

Or... 

Come to USC where we will have a DC. 

What else do you want? 

Or... 

Come to Washington where we might have a head coach ... But how do you feel about TAMU? Maybe? 

• Thumbs Up 1

This will be an exciting game for the recruits to watch.

They're going to get a real good taste for what a terrific rivalry at the collegiate level looks like.  OSU will put up a real dogfight in this one - they always do.  But if Oregon can get out on top of them and stay there they're gonna see what real brute strength means for a football team - unlike anything they've ever seen at the HS level.  

Lanning has built this team to do to OSU what OSU did to O last year in Corvallis. And he has the talent and depth to overwhelm them.  The 'kids' are gonna be impressed with what they see tomorrow night.  And if they watch the Championship game they're gonna see it again when Oregon crushes UW in the rematch.

Then they'll know where they want to play.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Man I’m very excited about the Duck’s 2024 recruiting class!  Especially on the defensive side.  Adding Johnson could be huge!  

I feel confident that CDL and Co will help these players develop to their full potential.  One I’m pumped about is of course Breland, this kid could turn out to be an absolute game wrecker on the line for Oregon.  We’ve seen the last two seasons in GA how these type of players can be huge on Defense.  Lanning has proven he can find them, develop them, and he certainly knows how to use them!

I’m also excited about the DBs and LBs, but I can’t express enough the importance of talent and depth on the DL.  Building a DL that can stay fresh into the 4th quarter and dominate the LOS is demoralizing to an offense.  

Another thing GA has done well is the evaluation process of recruits.  Finding the right guys that totally buy in and work their butts off.  I’m sure Lanning is doing this very well at Oregon just as he did at GA.  

So for DBs and LBs, finding guys with great quickness and speed with high football IQ and awareness.  Oregon is going to see more and more of this type of player in the future on Defense.  IMO we can already see this season a change in Oregon’s defensive identity, give Lanning another year or two and it’s going to be even better.  I honestly think we are gonna see games where the opposing OC just has that unnatural look of defeat in his eyes, a look that tells you he honestly has no idea what to do next! 

I can’t wait, it’s gonna be good!  

All of this is not said to downplay how good Oregon is this season.  I’m not sure how GA and Oregon will match up if we are fortunate enough to see it this season.  But I can honestly say that Oregon and Bama are the teams that have me concerned the most right now.  Ducks are playing some outstanding ball!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Make that THREE major predictions for Oregon to sign this recruit.  He has not announced, and won't for nearly a month, (December 21st) and I cannot convey how important he is to the future Oregon defense.  Not to mention that there none like him on the west coast next year, thus even more crucial!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/23/2023 at 7:45 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Man I’m very excited about the Duck’s 2024 recruiting class!  Especially on the defensive side.  Adding Johnson could be huge!  

I feel confident that CDL and Co will help these players develop to their full potential.  One I’m pumped about is of course Breland, this kid could turn out to be an absolute game wrecker on the line for Oregon.  We’ve seen the last two seasons in GA how these type of players can be huge on Defense.  Lanning has proven he can find them, develop them, and he certainly knows how to use them!

I’m also excited about the DBs and LBs, but I can’t express enough the importance of talent and depth on the DL.  Building a DL that can stay fresh into the 4th quarter and dominate the LOS is demoralizing to an offense.  

Another thing GA has done well is the evaluation process of recruits.  Finding the right guys that totally buy in and work their butts off.  I’m sure Lanning is doing this very well at Oregon just as he did at GA.  

So for DBs and LBs, finding guys with great quickness and speed with high football IQ and awareness.  Oregon is going to see more and more of this type of player in the future on Defense.  IMO we can already see this season a change in Oregon’s defensive identity, give Lanning another year or two and it’s going to be even better.  I honestly think we are gonna see games where the opposing OC just has that unnatural look of defeat in his eyes, a look that tells you he honestly has no idea what to do next! 

I can’t wait, it’s gonna be good!  

All of this is not said to downplay how good Oregon is this season.  I’m not sure how GA and Oregon will match up if we are fortunate enough to see it this season.  But I can honestly say that Oregon and Bama are the teams that have me concerned the most right now.  Ducks are playing some outstanding ball!!!

I’m sure that Dan Lanning learned a few things from Kirby Smart (and Nick Saban) about evaluating players. Oregon is certainly prioritizing the defensive line and the number of elite players that he is bringing in at the position is amazing (as good as anyone). 

I was thinking the same thing. In 2-3 years when Dan has a roster of players he’s recruited and developed, how good is Oregon’s defense going to be, if he’s gotten this much improvement in season #2?

Oregon’s offense might take a slight step back without Bo Nix at QB but an elite defense can win you 10+ games with a solid offense. Win now but the future is 😎

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, a huge recruit, if Oregon can land him.  

After what he saw against the Beavers and after what he's about to see when they play UW I think Oregon has a very good chance of convincing this young man Oregon is the place he should be.  Oregon could find itself in the Top 5 with this commitment and maybe one or two others.   

I think the main advantage that OBD has over the other schools is Coach Lannings commitment to play the best players regardless of age. “If you’re good enough you’re old enough”. 

The other advantage is OBD has a defensive mastermind as HC who has a proven track record of recruiting developing players. 

All of that said it comes down to the  focus and commitment of building a championship defense has to be too hard to pass up. 🦆