Charles Fischer

Wowsa! First Time Entrant Wins OBD Civil War Prediction Contest!

As you know, the final score was 31-7, which was a jaw-dropper.  Who would have thought that Oregon would hold the Beavers to only SEVEN points and 53 yards rushing?  

But Grandpa Duck was only thirteen points off with a 38-13 prediction, and this is the first time he has entered the contest this year!

Congrats to him, and thanks to all that entered.  Fun!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Nice job Grandpa!

• Applause 1

The wiser man picked the under for both teams. Congratulations!

Congrats, Abūelo Pato! Welcome to the flock. You nailed the defense's ability to hold the Beav's to under two TDs.

In the spirit of the season, I am thankful today that I proved to be the most accurate score prognosticator for the final Pac-12 conference Civil War.  While basking in the glory of my week-long reign, enjoying all the plaudits and honors of my victory, I am seriously considering whether to reveal my technique.  

I sometimes wonder whether the outstanding posts of Duck football knowledge on this wonderful OBD “Forum with Decorum” gives away secrets to the opponents.  Far be it from me to engage in that kind of traitorous behavior.  But in return for all the pleasure I receive from the many folks inhabiting this space who know far more than I know about football, it’s only fair that I provide a taste of my vast experience in predicting scores.

Here are few clues.  As an animal carrying a huge, unwieldy tail behind them, beavers are slow movers and that takes up a lot of time.  So, when competing with them, the scores are likely to be lower than they would be against faster moving competitors with smaller tails, like mutts.  During the contest, Duck possessions, and resulting scores against the slow movers will be fewer, but success ratio should be about the same as against other creatures, such as bears, cougars, buffaloes and trojans weighted down by armor.  For the Ducks, I was thinking seven possessions with five successes (TDs), one draw (field goal) and one failure, totaling 38 points.

I thought the beavers would also have seven possessions, one success and two draws with the rest failures, totaling 13 points.  So, even though Solar, above, congratulates me on going with the “under”, I still was overly optimistic for both teams.

All of this analysis is wrapped into a marvelous acronym, sometimes known as a WAG.   

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Like 1

Grandpa Duck...I don't which is better; your wit, your humor or your prose.  You just also won the "post of the week" as well!  What a fun read...

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/26/2023 at 11:57 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Here are few clues.  As an animal carrying a huge, unwieldy tail behind them, beavers are slow movers and that takes up a lot of time.  So, when competing with them, the scores are likely to be lower than they would be against faster moving competitors with smaller tails, like mutts.  During the contest, Duck possessions, and resulting scores against the slow movers will be fewer, but success ratio should be about the same as against other creatures, such as bears, cougars, buffaloes and trojans weighted down by armor.  For the Ducks, I was thinking seven possessions with five successes (TDs), one draw (field goal) and one failure, totaling 38 points.

Can you do this same style of prediction for Friday's game? @Grandpa Duck