Ktmguy2018

Last Pac-12 After Dark Brought Tears

I am an emotional person but I was not prepared for the end of the Pac-12 After Dark episode. The network has always been decent, not great; but I never really thought about the folks who put so much into it.  I didn't think about how the network has been a part of a my life for so long.

Tonight, Nick Alioti, Nigel Burton, and Ashley Adamson signed off for the last time.  Burton broke down, Alioti was very emotional, and Adamson said she was going to sign off with sounds from the last 10 years.  Hard to believe that it's been 10 years but seeing Mariota on there started the emotions flowing.

It was then that I realized how much I will miss the Pac-12.  Yes, we are going to be part of the Big10 conference.  But it is going to feel like we are visitors for a little while.  The Pac-12 was home, it was where I lived for my entire life.  I grew up watching the Ducks and just barely remember when the Pac-8 became the Pac-10.  John Elway at Stanford made me a Denver Bronco fan for life.  

I guess I've kinda disassociated all those emotions of the dissolution of the Pac-12, directing them more to anger at Larry Scott and his ineptitude.  But watching the episode, I see and feel what I am losing.  I don't like it.  It hurts.

Being in Vegas for the final game of the Pac-8/10/12 conference that shaped my life as a sports fan is going to be an emotional kick to the tenders.  I want to be there though...to see it end with a Ducks victory.  And to bid adieu to the conference that I have loved.

The Ducks will continue in their greatness.  The Pac-12....thanks for everything, I will miss you.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 4

That was touching. To think, a few years back the enterprise could have been sold to ESPN with ESPN attached to the conference at the hip and it's likely the conference stays together with the network available as part of the ESPN package.

Did 'these folks' ever make the correct business decision? Rhetorical question.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

That was touching. To think, a few years back the enterprise could have been sold to ESPN with ESPN attached to the conference at the hip and it's likely the conference stays together with the network available as part of the ESPN package.

Did 'these folks' ever make the correct business decision? Rhetorical question.

These two words, TO THINK, didn't happen.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Pac 8 was why I went to Oregon. . .

I wanted to go to a Pac 8 school.  This was 1968.

Stanford wouldn't return my calls.

Cal was a too radical.

USC and UCLA were in "LA", 'nough said.

My sister was at ewe dub, the state wasn't big enough for the two of us.

That left Oregon St and Oregon.  As the Knight Templar said to Indiana Jones when he chose the wooden chalice "you chose wisely".

So, I too am very sad to see it go.  But, onward and upward.

GO DUCKS!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Always feel bad for the employees, but they will find another job at a better organization.

I'll never shed tears over PAC12 after bedtime. It's criminal to do that to 20 year old athletes in school along with their fan base.

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw that last episode too and also got a little verklempt. ❤️

I've also been wondering if the PAC-12 would some day, say 10 years or so from now, reconstruct itself. I know it's anywhere from extremely unlikely to impossible, but, still, I can't help wondering.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 7:40 PM, Annie said:

I've also been wondering if the PAC-12 would some day, say 10 years or so from now, reconstruct itself. I know it's anywhere from extremely unlikely to impossible, but, still, I can't help wondering.

That would have to be the PAC-10, maybe the PAC-11, sc would never get an invite back, ever!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/26/2023 at 10:40 PM, Annie said:

$ is driving the train. I see no way that a reconstructed Pac-12 could pull down the same money as the B1G and the SEC.

• Oh no! 1