Mic

Damien Martinez Arrested

KPNW radio reported this morning that Beaver running back Damien Martinez, 19, was arrested in Corvallis for DUI and other related charges yesterday.  A spokesman for the University has announced that Martinez will not be playing in any upcoming bowl game. Martinez was arrested, booked then released on his own recognizance.

WWW.MSN.COM

I wonder if this means he might be entering the transfer portal as well.

Edited by Mic

If this means Martinez is entering the the TP, it's not necessarily the most auspicious way to enhance his value.

Hasn't stopped other talented players from finding a home, though.

Driving under the influence is serious business. Why it's not a felony is beyond me. DUI is deadly but the consequences are light when you account for the risk to others. Glad nobody was hurt or killed.

I hope this kid learns something from this and can turn it around. A lot of good people make bad choices at times. Sometimes those choices snowball and take one down dark roads. Colt Lyerla comes to mind.

Good luck to the young man, he has some serious work to do to set this right.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:04 AM, Log Haulin said:

Colt Lyerla comes to mind.

Such a waste, he had so much talent and could have been in the NFL. He was good as a TE but I really think he would have crushed it at LB and gotten out some aggression in the process.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:04 AM, Log Haulin said:

Driving under the influence is serious business. Why it's not a felony is beyond me. DUI is deadly but the consequences are light when you account for the risk to others. Glad nobody was hurt or killed.

Yes, DUII is very serious  My sister was nearly killed in Minneapolis, MN by a drunk driver who had 17 (!) prior convictions.  Needless to say, he had no driver's license but it didn't stop him from driving.  Our country has its priorities all backward nowadays.

I concur: I hope he can move on from this and turn his life around.  He's only 19, after all.

Edited by Mic

On 12/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, Dave23 said:

Such a waste, he had so much talent and could have been in the NFL. He was good as a TE but I really think he would have crushed it at LB and gotten out some aggression in the process.

Colt's problems were much more severe, addiction-wise.  Martinez did what a lot of young people do, get drunk and think they can drive.  He had a little pot in the car too, but in Oregon, that's legal -as long as it doesn't affect your driving.  In this case, it might have.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:18 AM, Mic said:

Colt's problems were much more severe, addiction-wise.  Martinez did what a lot of young people do, get drunk and think they can drive.  He had a little pot in the car too, but in Oregon, that's legal -as long as it doesn't affect your driving.  In this case, it might have.

I hope that's the case, he has a bright future. We all mess up I just hope for him he doesn't let this affect him and put him in a downward spiral like Colt.

• Thumbs Up 1

He said he made a mistake, took responsibility, but he also was arrested on suspicion, not convicted yet. 

Running a red light can be extremely dangerous, or something almost expected, it sadly seems, around here as the light goes from yellow to red.

I hope he continues to take this seriously, and works on taking his talent and education to the next level.

I completely agree a DUI isn't anything to laugh about, and Colt's issue went way deeper than a drinking problem. I don't wish a deeper issue with substances on anyone, and the impacts are on everyone.

I mis-spoke above.  Since Martinez is only 19 he was charged with minor-in-possession (MIP) of the marijuana as well.  It is not legal for minors to have pot, even in this state.  He was charged with a misdemeanor and released.  It was the AD Scott Barnes who announced he would not be participating in the Beaver's bowl game - wherever that may be.

The Hits Just Keep On Coming! Welcome to the job Coach Brey and have a really nice day.

• Haha 1

Drinking and driving is really bad.

That being said, I don't blame any Beavers for drowning their sorrows at this point though.

They lost the civil war bad, fantastic HC left them along with ten of the conference teams. That's a lot of loss to deal with.