Charles Fischer

No Collective Bargaining or Labor Unions for College Football? A Solution....

What I like about this article is how it makes the proposal that could transform college football very simple to understand.  My eyes glaze over with this stuff, but this could be the beginning of really solving the problems of college athletics now, and could head others off before we get there.

1) This could prevent player labor unions, and out-of-control NIL?  Fair to the women as well?  Something Congress may actually act on?

2) This is a great example of superb leadership, as this former governor is doing more already than all the leadership of the NCAA and our conference ever did to help us.  (Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early?)

3) When many people here in the OBD forum were howling over the last two years about how college football was going to die--I asked everyone to be patient and see what would develop.  Eventually the rubber-band gets stretched so far one direction that an eventual snap-back is bound to happen. Is this the beginning of that?

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Charlie Baker's proposal would increase athlete compensation while potentially giving NCAA or conferences more ability to regulate NIL environment.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

It’s hard to think of a more dirty way to be remembered than depriving players through the law of their fair market value and a collective voice in their jobs. 

“If Baker can push this through while also getting Congress to ensure that schools will never have to deal with a players’ union or pay players their fair market value, he’ll be the most important figure in the modern history of the NCAA. “

• Thumbs Up 1

If football players are paid the amount you and they want...it will WIPE OUT nearly all minor sports and destroy Womens Athletics. The money in the athletic budgets is not there, and sports would be trimmed.  I believe Oregon would go from 19 sports down to seven or eight for example.

And we would have minority football players facing Olympic sport women in court.  Is that what we want?  Isn't a compromise for all parties reasonable?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The NCAA? Proactive? Who knew?

Huh!

Charles, your point is well taken.  Pay costs can get out of control, we can see this in the coaches salaries and payouts. However in an industry that paid $ 146M is football coaches buyouts since 2022, I find it difficult to justify not treating athletes fairly and justly in the labor market. 

The of sports would be a travesty.  However I believe those who pay the bills (media deals and boosters) are going to do that with or without payment of players. 

All this being said, legislating pay and outlawing athletes voices in their job isn’t the correct answer. We can create a pay structure for athletes that works better than our pay structure for coaches. Players having a voice in their workplace could have unforeseen benefits.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Texas A&M's record $76 million contract buyout for fired football coach Jimbo Fisher accounts for more than half of the approximately $146 million Power 5 schools owe to fired head...

Oh, I certainly get it about the coaches.  Heck Jimbo being paid over 100 million to go away?  

Sheesh!  Usually, when that has happened to me...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

It's difficult to separate fact from fiction in the NIL era. Christian Williams of...

I question the validity of this claim, but wow... pretty crazy numbers. $25m for one season. 

"On par" (something I am not familiar with) equates exactly to the rookie earning scale, right? That's a leap in interpretation, no? And the 2 would not be gaining a year toward their 1st free-agent contract and a huge payday.

I don't see this happening but some Sparty boosters paid an untested coach almost $100M.

I hope this doesn't happen. I don't want to see these 2 in Autzen next season. I especially do not want to watch Cam Ward throwing to Harrison. Harrison is a Heisman finalist with an OK, not great, QB in McCord. With a guy like Ward at the wheel? And Ohio State's run game was much better when Henderson was healthy.

NFL-Lite is coming and likely faster than we can predict.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like the trust idea, how it's administered will make all the difference. Turning sports into a job could be a step to far and could have unseen repercussions. Might as well just decuple football from the Universities and start a minor league. 

A 5 year scholarship player could have 150k sitting in a trust, That's not a bad start in life.