Grandpa Duck

Oregon Volleyball Wins! Elite Eight in Consecutive Seasons

The Duck women defeated Purdue 3-0 in a best of five match at Madison, WI.  The Ducks easily won the first two sets, but the third went to five match points, 29-27.   Ducks move on to the Elite Eight in this NCAA tournament championship.  Ducks next face the host Wisconsin Badgers.

Ducks Elite in Consecutive Seasons   (From Oregon Athletic Department)

MADISON, Wis. — For the first time in program history, the Oregon volleyball team has advanced to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament in consecutive seasons.

A year after coming within a point of the Final Four, the Ducks will have another chance at reaching collegiate volleyball's final weekend after sweeping Purdue on Thursday in a Sweet Sixteen match hosted by Wisconsin. The UO women (29-5) will take on their region's top seed, the host Badgers, in an Elite Eight matchup on Saturday (5 p.m. PT, ESPNU).

Oregon enters Saturday having swept all three of its NCAA Tournament matches, and four straight overall. The Ducks hit .364 against the strong defense of the Boilermakers on Thursday, winning 25-14, 25-19, 29-27.

After dominating the first set, the Ducks trailed 18-15 in the second and 18-16 in the third. But they finished off each of the final two and advanced to play Saturday night.

"I just thought we never really let anything fluster us," UO coach Matt Ulmer said. "We made a handful more errors in the third set; credit to them, they upped their service game and put more pressure on us. … They pushed us there, but we just kept going."

Morgan Lewis continued her hot streak for the Ducks, notching 14 kills. Mimi Colyer was lethal attacking out of the back row and also finished with 14 kills, Gabby Gonzales added 10 kills with six digs and three aces, while middles Karson Bacon and Kara McGhee combined for 13 kills with 10 blocks.

Georgia Murphy was incredibly dynamic at libero, finishing with 13 digs, and Hannah Pukis had 42 assists with 10 digs, her 23rd double-double this season. Colyer had 11 digs, finished with her 12th double-double.

Ducks Elite In Consecutive Seasons

Gonzales played through a lower leg injury that required enough treatment in the days leading up to the match that Ulmer referred to the team's athletic trainer, Mary-Grace Testa, as "the MVP of the week."

"It's always tough," Gonzales said of battling through, "but my teammates around me, they make it so much easier. I know I can always lean on them. If I'm struggling, I've got so many people — on the court, off the court, staff — that I can look to and they can help me in any sort of way. I'm surrounded by such a great group of people here."

How It Happened: The Ducks grabbed momentum from the outset of the match, and seemed determined not to let it go most of the first set. They jumped out to a 4-0 lead with three early kills from Lewis, and their sideout percentage remained a perfect 100 until Purdue scored consecutive points for the first time in the match to close within 21-11.

Bacon had a kill and McGhee had a solo block to make it 23-11, and though Purdue answered with three straight, an error and then a kill from McGhee gave Oregon the opening set.

Lewis had four kills in the set, Bacon had three kills with three blocks and Colyer also had three kills.

"I thought they came out a little tentative in the first set," Ulmer said of the Boilermakers. "But then they settled down and, everything we thought we were gonna get from them, we got after that."

The Boilermakers put together their longest run of the first two sets early in the second, scoring five straight to lead 13-9. The Ducks answered with three in a row, getting an incredible pancake dig from Murphy during that run to keep the match close.

"She's a little fireball," Gonzales said. "I love when she gets those crazy digs. I mean, she's always solid, she's always great. And when she does that it fires us all up. It's just so great to see."

12.07.2023.MAM.VBvsPurdue-87.jpg

Purdue maintained a slight edge, and opened up some cushion at 18-15. But the Ducks then scored five in a row, a run that included another highlight-reel dig from Murphy and two points out of the back row by Colyer. After Purdue scored to end that run, Oregon scored another five in a row to finish off the set on a 10-1 run. The last 5-0 run included two more blocks by McGhee, and yet another point from Colyer out of the back row.

"We were doing really well and firing on all cylinders in the front row; having me in the back row was just something that gets everyone else open," Colyer said. "And I think Hannah was doing a really good job finding me … And it just made our offense a lot harder to stop."

The third set was back and forth early, until a 6-1 run by the Ducks that included three kills from Lewis and gave them a 13-10 run. Purdue scored five straight to go up 16-14, and later a three-point run by Oregon capped by a kill from Colyer put the Ducks up 23-21. A kill by Bacon broke a 23-23 tie and set up match point, but Purdue stayed alive and the Ducks finally clinched the set on their fifth attempt at match point.

Up Next: The regional No. 2 seed Ducks face top-seeded and host Wisconsin on Saturday (5 p.m. PT, ESPNU).

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, making the Elite-Eight? Whew!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bump.  I did not know about making the Elite Eight in consecutive seasons, thus this program is on nice trendline.  A quiet top-ten team that we have not covered much...

12.07.2023.MAM.VBvsPurdue-38.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Matt Ulmer's team is coming together at the right time. Purdue was no slouch and the Ducks beat them 3-0. They are playing their best VB of the year.

If you are not a big fan of VB or just haven't seen it much, take the opportunity to watch this match. Women's BB is a finesse game of speed, great shooting and defense but not much pure vertical play, WVB is similar but played above the net. The athleticism is apparent on the digs, screaming serves, big hits for kills and the dives into the benches for balls. 

Wisconsin as the #1 seed is formidable but the Ducks can beat them in their own house and move on the the Final Four. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My biggest regret when it comes Oregon sports each fall is not going to watch this team (I do a bunch of stuff with high school sports so my evenings are pretty packed in the fall), you can easily make the case that the best program at Oregon right now is Volleyball, super stoked to see them play on Saturday!

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 1

Woo! 💛💚