Santa Rosa Duck

The NCAA Faces Reality from the Wall Street Journal

Jason Gay from the WSJ is one of my favorite sports writers.

WWW.WSJ.COM

A new proposal outlines a radical future for college sports—but the courts are likely to get there first

On 12/8/2023 at 3:34 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Jason Gay from the WSJ is one of my favorite sports writers.

WWW.WSJ.COM

A new proposal outlines a radical future for college sports—but the courts are likely to get there first

Thanks very much for the post, but the article is behind a paywall. I'd really like to learn more about this. Does anyone have a link that's not behind a paywall?

I apologize, I clicked a link that allows me to "gift" an article and has worked on this forum in the past. Perhaps no longer.

I got it.

Very interesting read.

He is right about boosters. Whichever way a school goes, full arms race for sports or not, some will not be happy.

Think of our 'friends' up the valley, those boosters hoping to get in the arms race are now a day late and millions short.

A refitted stadium to join the MWC?!

I'll just follow my beloved Ducks as long as I can, as long as they still are University of Oregon. 

I was able to read the article for free. Thanks for the link.

I must be a real outlier and ancient fossil.  

I loathe the death of amateurism.  But, let's face it; it's been coming for a very long time.  Anyone remember the Soviet Red Army competing in the Olympics?  Or the Russian "females" who weren't really?  (Who knew the Russians would be on the cutting edge of societal revolution instead of just political revolution?).  

Who cares anymore, anyway?  It's about Championships.  

At this point, why not just drop the whole student part of "student athlete"?  Really!  Why even make the athletes attend classes?

College football is now a marketing arm for the university to raise millions to offer other sports.  Maybe that's the way we should be looking at this.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, mikethehiker said:

College football is now a marketing arm for the university to raise millions to offer other sports.  Maybe that's the way we should be looking at this.

Not the marketing arm, but the major revenue source.  Oregon Athletics does not make a profit; all football and the small Basketball revenues go to fund the other 17 sports.  And according to a recent lawsuit--that isn't enough!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, mikethehiker said:

At this point, why not just drop the whole student part of "student athlete"?  Really!  Why even make the athletes attend classes?

Because a degree has value, and making it part of the deal helps take care of the kids future whether they want to or not.