FishDuck Article

Ducks WBB: ‘Is the System Blinking Red?’

Let's welcome a new FishDuck Writer, Don Marsh, with his first article for the site.  He is not related to David Marsh, but like the latter--he is a good researcher and gives us some items to ponder.

FISHDUCK.COM

There are losses and then, well, there are losses. As a fan of Oregon Women’s basketball, I have had concerns for some time now per the health of the program.
  • Applause 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The decline of the Ducks WBB program from playing at an elite level has been disappointing, to this fan.

Many factors go into the making of a champuonship team. Not all 5 stars are created equal. Nor do they have the same drive to excel.

Sometimes players and coaches cannot connect. It happens.

I think i set my fan sights a little to high. Just spoiled by Sabrina and company......

Off the chart talent on the hardwood at the same time was spectacular to watch and support.

Elite programs seem to sustain their recruiting and top level performance.The Ducks have simply slipped off that top level perch.

Hoping that Coach can bring the WBB program back to that level in future seasons......

Go Ducks.......

Perhaps my post is premature given that you'll be talking about Coach Graves in your article tomorrow.  But it's hardly seen as running the red light while driving OWBB downhill when his Oregon teams' record is 210-90 going into this season.  (His lifetime record as a coach?  637-292.)  It's obvious he can coach, and he can recruit.  It will be interesting to see your take on him tomorrow.

I think things are reaching a point where some serious questions have to be asked.  Love Kelly.   He is a very nice person but right now things are not looking very good.  Maybe Kelly is ready to move on too.  We forget about that aspect sometimes as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

His first group was more special and talented than we may realize, Sab is arguably the best player ever.  To follow that group up with a #1 class with 5 players rated 5*, with none coming close to the billing...it's like Ty Thompson and other 5*, they don't always pan out, but that was just weird.  Like Altman and MBB, the portal has been important...too important? 

In the last 3-4 years, neither MBB or WBB has been the same.  Both coaches have a huge track record of success.  Do they need a new spark, or is it time for a fresh start?  I think MBB, if Shelstad, Evans, a couple others will stay for 3 years, it could be special.  Interesting the bigs are out and we're back to Altman's small-ball tradition...seems the last few games they've looked way better.  As for WBB, I don't know how to X&O what's going on there.  6'8" Center had a career night against a weak opponent.

I've defended Graves here (a long time ago) and on the 247 site, but I now think that, for reasons I can't quite get a handle on, the program is in free-fall, with this year a total disaster and, as far as I can tell, no sign that things will get better. 

One of the things I find especially disappointing is the lack of improvement by the two sophomores who were supposed to be this year's leaders (Gray and VanSlooten).  I realize that isn't necessarily Graves's fault, but it's been the story for most everyone on the team for several years now--not to mention the fact that he suddenly can't recruit shooters--or perhaps more accurately, the shooters he does recruit seem to regress once they arrive--unlike, say, the shooters on even some of his pre-Sabrina teams. 

He obviously still looks like an improvement after the Bev Smith mediocrity and Westhead disaster, but WBB has become increasingly popular in recent years (South Carolina, for example, regularly draws nearly 14K fans, and there are now numerous games on national TV every week) and UO seems to be getting further and further behind.  Graves has been a very successful coach--at Gonzaga for a very long time and here during the Sabrina  years--but I now (reluctantly) think it's time for a change.

• Great post! 1

I'm a long-time WBB fan but not a BB expert by any means. When the highly touted class of several years ago began transferring with Tehina being the last one transferring last year, I couldn't help but wonder why. Was it the lack of connection due to Covid? Was it Mark Campbell that recruited them and he left? Was NIL involved? In any event, it appears to me that the transfer players that have come in are not as good as those that left.

My theory is that Campbell was the main recruiter and game coach - perhaps also the main practice coach. He had good success at Sacramento State and is now turning around the program at TCU. I think he was a key cog on the staff and is missed.

Whatever the reason, I hope Graves gets it figured out and gets the program back on track before the fans lose interest. Perhaps we fans are just spoiled.

• Thumbs Up 2

You nailed it, Canvas.  Campbell a dog at recruiting and is credited with bringing in the likes of Ionescu, Sabally and Hebard who helped lead UO to the cusp of a national championship.  His final contribution to the program, prior to his departure in 2021, was landing the nations no. 1 recruiting class in 2020.  Sadly (and stunningly) none of the players from that class stayed beyond two years.  

The trajectory of the program has mirrored the recent lack of recruiting success.  Barring the hire of another Campbell clone, I don’t see a turnaround anytime soon.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mark Campbell was the lead recruiter who brought in the talent years back that put Oregon State in the Top-15...until Oregon hired him away.  He has coached and recruited well everywhere he has been.

I am driving the other day, and turn on the radio to hear what the score is.  Oregon was trailing by five points with six minutes left in the third quarter to Portland State?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And may I welcome Don Marsh, and thank him for the guest articles.  Some good insight in today's article, and I learned quite a bit from it.  We learn from each other on these sites!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, Canvasback said:

My theory is that Campbell was the main recruiter and game coach - perhaps also the main practice coach. He had good success at Sacramento State and is now turning around the program at TCU. I think he was a key cog on the staff and is missed.

💯

Sabrina and Campbell covered for Graves’ ineptitude.

I have never been a Graves fan, even during the Sab years. 

His game-time demeanor is both cranky and uninspired.

Graves had the luxury of riding the coattails of Ionescue to look like a genius.

It’s long past time for Graves to go.

• Oh no! 1

I'm with those of you that think it is time for a coaching change for our WBB team. 

I agree that the loss of Coach Campbell was huge.

I expected this type of season once Pao Pao, Rodgers and Prince decided to transfer and Graves could not find players of equal talent in the portal.

When Graves announced his non league schedule, I knew my concerns where valid.

Even with this weak non conference schedule, Oregon has had two embarrassing losses.

With Campbell, Oregon recruited 5 stars from around the nation. I'm sure those players are now asked by recruits why they transferred.

Watching multiple elite players accomplish more with their talent after transferring from Oregon is a bad look for Graves.

The failure to keep top recruits seems to be leading to the decline in recruiting and now with the play on the court.

Has Graves lost some of the needed desire to coach since the covid shorten year that kept him from winning a National Championship?

It sure feels that way to this fan of our WBB program.

As fans we need to be prepared for multiple blow out losses this year in Pac12 games.

UCLA, USC, Colorado, Stanford and Utah are all in the top 11 in the polls.

The decline of the Oregon program has not occurred overnight. 

It has gotten worse each year since Sabina graduated.

With the type of losses that Oregon will have this year, I fully expect our remaining top players to transfer out of the program.

Since this has been a multiple year decline, I think a coaching change is needed to bring new life to the program.

Mark Campbell should be on the short list of coaches to replace Graves but with Oregon's resources I think we should also approach coaches with a proven ability to win in the NCAA tournament.

I hate to post negative things about any Oregon program but I just do not see Coach Graves being able to reverse the decline in the program.

Hopefully I am wrong and the WBB team surprises me during the Pac12 season.

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bring Sabrina back as HC!

She would make way more money than she does in the WNBA.

And who cares if she doesn’t have any experience—she’d rock it!