jrw

Indiana OL Matthew Bedford Transfers to Oregon

Was he on anybody's radar? Certainly not mine.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks got a transfer commitment from former Indiana guard Matthew Bedford.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Flipped him from Sanders at Colorado?  Two for one!  However, he is at the position the Oklahoma OL would be, who would have three years left compared to this guy.  But geez...he looks like a Steven Jones clone.

Did I know about him?  Nope....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

That puts Oregon at #39 in TP. Ducks have been quiet compared to years past. But no worries, Lanning can strike fast.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, Log Haulin said:

That puts Oregon at #39 in TP. Ducks have been quiet compared to years past. But no worries, Lanning can strike fast.

I don't think we will take as many this year, IMHO.  Four to seven total this year is my estimate.

New OL.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

From another report about him:

“Bedford was graded as Indiana’s best offensive lineman this past season by Pro Football Focus, with a grade of 69.2. According to PFF, he allowed two sacks and 15 quarterback pressures.

PFF graded Bedford as the sixth-best guard in the Big Ten and only three guards had a better run blocking grade.”

Oppsy!

Matthew Bedford Commits To Colorado | Colorado Football Transfer Portal  Update | Coach Prime - YouTube

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2023 at 3:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think we will take as many this year, IMHO.  Four to seven total this year is my estimate.

In my limited view, it seems that OBD was missing a DT to get to the playoffs. They also found youth in the secondary by the end of the year. It seems to me that the real need is QB (got that covered) and defensive backfield. Safety is coming and the Corners will get even better. Now we need a DT in the middle. We need 4 deep. The DE's are set, no pun intended. Im just not seeing a screaming need other than DT.

He might be here to replace Ajani Cornelius...if he goes to the NFL?  Or, Bedford is the ultimate OL Swiss Army knife; he can play any tackle or guard.

4-year starter at Indiana
- started at LT in 2019 as a true freshman
- started at RT in 2020 as a sophomore
- started at RG in 2021
- started 1 game at RG in 2022 before missing rest of year due to injury
- started at RG in 2023

2835 career snaps. That's an insanely large number, as Steven Jones had 1500 before last season. Harper has 1554 right now.

With southpaw quarterback, Bedford making switch to right tackle - The  Crimson Quarry

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2023 at 3:46 PM, 1Funduck said:

In my limited view, it seems that OBD was missing a DT to get to the playoffs. They also found youth in the secondary by the end of the year. It seems to me that the real need is QB (got that covered) and defensive backfield. Safety is coming and the Corners will get even better. Now we need a DT in the middle. We need 4 deep. The DE's are set, no pun intended. Im just not seeing a screaming need other than DT.

I believe we will fill that before portal season is over.  No guarantee, but Lanning has been damn good at recruiting Defensive Linemen...

Mr. FishDuck

So, there were 28 starting OGs in the B1G last year, and Bedford was the 6th best rated in the B1G?

That doesn't suck.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Appears to be a good add for the O-line. Ducks needed a guard once the JPJ domino fell. 

JPJ to NFL

Pancho from Guard to Center

Bedford to Guard

Hopefully Cornelius will stay and the other interior linemen like Iuli, Silva and Strother as well

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Flips Offensive Line Transfer Who Committed To Colorado Last Week

Matthew Bedford announced his commitment to Colorado last Tuesday, but the transfer quickly had a chance of heart.

On Monday, the offensive tackle revealed that he's transferring to Oregon instead. Bedford thanked the Buffaloes in his announcement posted on social media.

"The Colorado organization is so amazing that I made a decision too hastily before weighing all of my options," Bedford wrote. "However, upon reflection, I believe that the University of Oregon aligns perfectly with my long-term goals."

Bedford started 38 of 41 games played for Indiana from 2019 to 2023. He returned to the Hoosiers this year after suffering a season-ending knee injury in 2022's opener.

The 6-foot-6, 314-pounder appeared to be part of Deion Sanders' vast overhaul of an offensive line that struggled mightily this season. Colorado ranked last in rushing offense, and no quarterback got sacked more times (52) than Shedeur Sanders...

To access the details in the article, click here.

Colorado needed experienced OL bad.  This was quite a....

giphy.gif

Love it!

Mr. FishDuck

Bedford mostly payed RG last season, the Oklahoma kid plays primarily LG. Could be a good duo next season if DL can get them both!

• Like 1

5 things to know about new Oregon OL Matthew Bedford

Better late than never, I guess.

Former Indiana offensive lineman Matthew Bedford changed his mind and will transfer to Oregon. He had committed to Colorado less than a week ago but will be a Duck instead.

This kind of switch usually occurs with the high school recruits as signing day approaches, but not so much with transfers in the portal.

While this is a huge plus for the Ducks, it’s a big blow for the Buffaloes, who are trying to rebuild their offensive line after a disastrous 2023 season.

Bedford and his size of 6-foot-6 and 305 pounds, should be a contender to be a starter for the 2024 season as Oregon heads to the Big Ten next year.

Here are five things to know about the Ducks’ newest lineman...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Here are five things to know about the Ducks’ newest lineman, Matthew Bedford, a transfer from Indiana.