FishDuck Article

How Does Oregon Stack Up to Their 2020 Selves?

My last full season writing about the Oregon Ducks culminated with them winning the Pac 12, and due to the pandemic, playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Iowa State. Unfortunately the Ducks were, shall we say, uncompetitive in that game, against a team that it was perceived they had more talent than. This year the Ducks started off their attempt...

FISHDUCK.COM

My last full season writing about the Oregon Ducks culminated with them winning the Pac 12, and due to the pandemic, playing in the Fiesta...

• Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

There isn't a good reason Oregon should lose, but it won't be an amazing win. This is, potentially, a trap game, but what elements would we see if it does become a trap game.

We may want to turn a blind eye to the possibility to losing this game, but that is exactly when it happens. The first obvious thing the Ducks could do is come out slow, once again. This isn't out of the question as Oregon has lost before because of this tendency.

The second obvious thing which could happen is to lose the turnover differential. Unfortunately Liberty is number 11 in the nation in turnover ratio. The Ducks better take care of the ball.

Liberty doesn't just rank high in turnover differential they also outrank us in yards per carry. If Liberty gets their rushing game going then their yds. per catch, which outranks us, will begin to hurt. Both teams score 40+ per game, but whose offense is going to get going early?

While I agree Liberty doesn't have the Brock Purdy, Shough, Brown differential they need to be respected. The thing about Brock was he wasn't ever respected for winning, exactly what Liberty does. I think Oregon wins easily, but I am not as confident as I would like to be, and I hope the players and coaches aren't either!

The experienced players on defense who are playing are key to me versus the Flames. While we lose both starting corners--I believe Nico Reed and Donte Manning can do well enough, as the front seven will determine this matchup for us on slowing down the high scoring Liberty offense.

Having Dorlus play is HUGE, and most likely Burch as well will make a big difference.  Mase Funa has been through all the wars, and he is excellent at setting the edge, of which will be needed in this game.  I cannot overstate the importance of having experienced linebackers in Bassa, Hill and Jacobs instead of some rookie linebackers trying to figure things out at game-speed, let alone fight off blocks and stay on assignment.

This is a difficult game for the defense, and I am very curious to see what the brain-trust of Lanning, Lupoi and Hampton have come up with.

Lanning and Lupoi discuss_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ryan, thanks for the article and scenario similarities comparison of the 2 Fiesta Bowl appearances.

Just a few thoughts:

As you pointed out the ISU squad played 5 more games than the "Baby Ducks". That meant about a month more of practices for a team packed full of 4th and 5th year players.

The 2020 Ducks did not have the 2019 talent or experience. I could be wrong but that squad had about 60 underclassmen.

60 youngsters with very little player development. As proven by time, games and seasons, MC and his staff lack in ways that cost their squads games.

IMHO, the Ducks brought a group of talented boys to play a ISU squad of men, with future NFL players.

In the 2024 Fiesta Bowl the Ducks bring talented, experienced players who have been developed. Or talented, experienced, developed mercenaries that fit DL's culture.

The 2023 squad has depth and leadership that the 2020 squad did not have.

Both the 2020 and 2023 squads had/have HC's who are top recruiters. Both have Top 10 classes. The similairities end there!

MC talks a big game when in fact he holds his players back.  DL motivates and developes his players.

The Ducks should put 56-70 points on the board against the Flames. MC would find away to keep the Flames in the game.

Very excited to get to see this Duck team one more time.  GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, Ryan. Easy-Peasy for me. Iowa State had the better coach. Not the better roster but the better coach. And who knew about Purdy back then? 

Thanks for the take.

Go Ducks! Extinguish The Flames!

• Go Ducks! 1