Charles Fischer

Oregon BEATS the Bastard Huskies 76-74!

More coming later to savor…

You may raise an eyebrow at my "wording" in the title, but for those who have followed my umpteen posts, and over 600 articles I've written on FishDuck over the last dozen years--the "B" word is routine and reserved for Washington.  It is the one bad word allowed here and not caught by the profanity-software, and is permitted for use by everyone in context to Washington.

I never use it for other teams because...1) no others generate the antipathy from me that Washington fans do, and 2) Oregon State has fallen so far in my view that they are not even worthy of denigration that comes from respect.

The Game!

With the small lineup due to injuries, the Ducks are surviving and flourishing, but not dominating at all. We are 10th in the conference in rebounding, but we are No. 1 in the conference for turnover differential, which means this group is taking care of the ball well, and creating turnovers at a high rate.  Oregon is No. 2 in the conference for steals, and you see a ton of Ducks poking the ball out to other teammates, of which starts a fast-break.

We used to own Hec Edmondson when Payton was here....can Jackson Shelstad revive that?

Men's Basketball Battles Washington Thursday

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, would love to see Jackson also scream "This is my state!" after hitting a game-winning shot.  Even though we're the underdogs tonight (+3.5 on FanDuel), I think we'll win this game handily and get revenge for the football team.  Looking forward to seeing what Mookie Cook can do with his freshman brothers!

Edited by Graziani93
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, all Dogs are bastards are they not? Maybe not the Dawgs in Athens but most definitely the Dogs in Seattle. 

• Haha 1

I really don't like to see Oregon State put down. It's not their fault that the PAC split. I put most of that towards poor management by the conference, USC and some to Oregon and Wash. It's definitely not their fault that Smith left. On to basketball, I am excited to see Cook play. I think the team is doing great and hopefully will win tonight.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/4/2024 at 3:02 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

I really don't like to see Oregon State put down. It's not their fault that the PAC split. I put most of that towards poor management by the conference, USC and some to Oregon and Wash. It's definitely not their fault that Smith left

We are not blaming them for the demise of the conference, but they are blaming us.

The major component in why they are in this spot is their athletic department management over the decades.  They did not do anything to make their brand special, to build their fan base, and now they want to blame their current situation on Oregon?

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

You know that may be but they also didn't have Phil Knight who has given Oregon billions plus, for all kinds of things. There is a reason why other programs resent that. I love watching the ducks, especially the BB teams, but I also believe that Oregon should be fortunate that they are not in the same position.

I also realize that Rob Mullens is an exceptional AD which does help. I am not happy Oregon is going to the BIG and I hope that within a few years the PAC can be reformed in some fashion, maybe by then the entire Division 1 system will be revamped, who knows.

• Oh no! 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:57 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

You know that may be but they also didn't have Phil Knight who has given Oregon billions

You have not read all that has written about this issue.  Phil did not help Oregon until we went to the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl on our own.  Winners want to work with winners, and we had to prove it on our own first.

Oregon State has not done anything like that, and besides--they have tons of alumni who have done well in business, yet have not been attracted to the program.  Again...not Oregon's fault.

Even with that first project...the indoor facility bears the name of the major donor at the time Ed Moshofsky, a former Oregon player who helped get the project going.

Ed Moshofsky, 1939-42 | Oregon Digital

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Ducks by 2!

Always a bit more enjoyable to win a close one in their house:)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, we had a “thread-hyjack” going on…

Back to the damn Huskies!

Mr. FishDuck

WOOT!!!!!!!!!

All-American freshman Mookie Cook makes his mark in season-debut in win at Washington

Oregon freshman forward Mookie Cook made his mark in the win over Washington on the road, the first game of the season for the young Duck.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon freshman forward Mookie Cook made his mark in the win over Washington on the road, the first game of the season for the young Duck.

• Applause 1

News Item:

Oregon's men's basketball team won a closely contested game against the University of Washington last night in Prichardsville, formerly known as Seattle. 

Edited by Triphibius
  • Haha 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:57 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

You know that may be but they also didn't have Phil Knight who has given Oregon billions plus, for all kinds of things. There is a reason why other programs resent that. I love watching the ducks, especially the BB teams, but I also believe that Oregon should be fortunate that they are not in the same position.

I also realize that Rob Mullens is an exceptional AD which does help. I am not happy Oregon is going to the BIG and I hope that within a few years the PAC can be reformed in some fashion, maybe by then the entire Division 1 system will be revamped, who knows.

OSU has an alumni who went to high school in Portland graduated from OSU and then went on to Stanford, much like Phil Knight did at Oregon. The big difference Jensen is worth $1 billion more than Phil Knight.

Most schools have wealthy alumni, the difference, most schools aren't as successful as Oregon, pretty simple. Oregon has been successful way before Phil Knight started giving money to the school and will be long after.

The one constant, other schools will whine about Oregon's success. We aren't the most elite academic institution, the most gorgeous location, but we grind out wins by innovating, and never giving up, that will never change.

Back to the bastard dawgs, they win by thinking they are better than others, selling that mentality to recruits and then always coming up short. I look forward to that happening again on Monday!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 1:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Well, all Dogs are bastards are they not? Maybe not the Dawgs in Athens but most definitely the Dogs in Seattle. 

I prefer to think of the dawgs as the female word for dogs. As in "whiny little (female dogs)".  But I'm pretty sure that terminology wouldn't fly past the profanity software..........

• Applause 1

Oregon's freshmen and the experience of Jermaine Couisnard lead the Ducks to victory at Washington

Oregon's star freshman and their senior leader carried the Ducks to an impressive road win at Washington.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's star freshman and their senior leader carried the Ducks to an impressive road win at Washington.

I was afraid the Ducks were going to lose by three. Whew!

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

Since seeing him play in the Les Schwab Invitational last season--where he absolutely out-played Bronny James--I've been singing the praises of Jackson Shelstad. The asset I most frequently note about his talent is his exceptional quickness. (And, many BB fans of my vintage well remember John Wooden preaching that in basketball players, quickness is far more important than speed.)

Anyway, watching the game last night, where at least the 4th different broadcast team called a Ducks' game, I was struck by Don MacLean's description of what makes Shelstad take your breath away at times during a game: his "burst."  

Looking back at the best Duck basketball teams of the past, the ones that come to mind all had an exceptional point guard (Ridnour, A. Brooks, Pritchard, Brandon) running the show. Much as I liked and admired Will Richardson, his style of point guard play didn't routinely result in open shots for teammates. I think the culprit there was his lack of quickness or "burst." This year, despite the potentially crippling loss of two exceptional big men, the Ducks are playing winning basketball. Shelstad is a huge part of that.  And, clearly, Altman realizes that as Shelstad rarely comes out of the game.

Looking forward to what Mookie Cook will contribute down the road, too.

• Applause 2

Bow Down to OREGON!