Jon Joseph

Will Howard Commits to Ohio State

I briefly made mention of Kansas State QB Will Howard committing to Ohio State in another post. !n 2022, Howard led K State to a B12 title. Howard is a fifth year senior with one year of eligibility left and choose Ryan Day and the Buckeyes over our buddies Lincoln Riley and Mari(o) Cristobal. He is a very accurate passer and also a very good runner.

During the Cotton Bowl telecast the broadcasters both said that they did not believe Ryan Day would take a QB out of the portal. Wrong. Devin Brown who started for tOSU vs Mizzou went down with an injury for the 3rd time in eight months. 5* QB Air Noland, is joining the Buckeyes and will gain experience backing up Howard. 

Ohio State's visit to Eugene on October 12th, falls between the October 5th visit from J. Smith and Michigan State and the game on October 19th that will be played at Purdue. 

The B1G QB question now is whether Michigan QB JJ McCarthy will go pro. The other perhaps B1Gger question is whether Jim Harbaugh returns to coach Michigan in 2024 or is coaching Justin Herbert in LA. 

This also means the pool of transfer QBs for USC is drying up....

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Don't you worry about USC quarterback situation, they're going win games because of their defense next year. 

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 3

USCs bowl QB looked good

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:06 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

USCs bowl QB looked good

I'm sure they'll have a QB who is pretty good. 

But I kinda doubt they'll have any depth. 

And... How many transfer QBs are going to look ar that offensive line and go, "yeah I want to play behind that!" 

Williams made it work because he's Caleb Williams and even then it didn't quite work. USC with a better offensive line (and with that awful defense still) probably would have picked up another win or two. 

Williams played improv football for the majority of the season. Just think if he had the chance to actually use a playbook?! 

Not shedding any tears for them. 

Sorry... I lied. 

I am shedding tears for them... Tears of laughter! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

USC only needs a solid backup QB. They have a clear starter, that makes the TP a bit different for them. They will have to look for a Dante Moore type situation of someone young with high potential just looking for development not playing time, which is very very rare.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:06 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

USCs bowl QB looked good

Miller Moss with 6 TD passes in the Holiday set the Holiday Bowl and USC records for the most TD passes in SC's illustrious bowl history. The SC skill players on O made No. 15 Louisville's D look slow and pedestrian.

Riley has cleaned house on the D side of the ball. I think that SC even without Williams is a dark (Traveler) horse candidate to play for a B1G title next season; especially if SC can take down LSU in Las Vegas and win in the Big House vs. a Michigan team that is losing a lot of studs and perhaps, it's HC.

No Oregon or Ohio State on the schedule, Penn State in LA, and no Penix playing for UW when SC visits Seattle.

• Wow 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 1:25 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm sure they'll have a QB who is pretty good. 

But I kinda doubt they'll have any depth. 

And... How many transfer QBs are going to look ar that offensive line and go, "yeah I want to play behind that!" 

Williams made it work because he's Caleb Williams and even then it didn't quite work. USC with a better offensive line (and with that awful defense still) probably would have picked up another win or two. 

Williams played improv football for the majority of the season. Just think if he had the chance to actually use a playbook?! 

Not shedding any tears for them. 

Sorry... I lied. 

I am shedding tears for them... Tears of laughter! 

And the D guys play improved D? I think that Lynn coming over from UCLA will get the Troy guys on D playing more in synch. How could he not? And Troy did play better D, although the D gave up a lot of rushing yards, in the Holiday Bowl with Trojans making open field tackles. Who knew?

Edited by Jon Joseph