FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Spring Ball: Who’s on Your Radar?

For those of us that missed the Fiesta Bowl, it was a fitting ending to the Ducks season. Complete domination on offense, stifling defense with numerous takeaways. The majority of matchups all year ended similarly, and the worst part for Duck fans? That means the season’s over. Spring ball is coming up quick for the Ducks as transfer portal mania ...

FISHDUCK.COM

For those of us that missed the Fiesta Bowl, it was a fitting ending to the Ducks season. Complete domination on offense, stifling defense with numerous…
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I want to see Brayden Platt become the LB I have thought we had a few years ago with some of our great recruiting under the last staff. Brayden seems to have everything we want physically, but I want to see a guy who will lead the defense to a level we haven't seen recently.

Sometimes guys get on campus and it is hard to keep them off the field. Sometimes a guy like Justin Herbert shouldn't have been kept off the field. I am hopeful we may have a freshman who earns some big playing time. 

The amazing part is he will have a couple seniors to guide him in his transition to college ball. With Jestin and Jeffrey knowing exactly what Lanning wants on and off the field Platt can become the foundation of the next generation defense.

I want to see some young guys reach high level play, early. With some of the seasoned vets guiding their growth we may just have some young guys ready to take us to a new level on defense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alex, there's so many to choose from.  Team depth is loaded.  That makes it hard to pick one. Thanks for a good ponder discussion.  

For Offense it is either Gary Bryant at wide receiver or Kenyon Sandiq at Tight End.  Speed and good hands draw my attention.

Defense it's Teitum Tuioti and Ashton Porter on the defensive line.  Effort and quickness stand out for me.  These two are heat seeking missiles.

Thanks for writing today's article Alex!

• Thumbs Up 1

What does the DL look like, especially the interior? Ware-Hudson has played a fair amount over the years and the veteran log jam up front seems to have cleared up a bit for him. Do Ben Roberts and/or A'Mauri Washington flash? Where does Blake Purchase fit in? Really all the young DL. I saw Breland, Rushing, Sims, Grey, and Jones all listed as early enrollees (didn't see JJ listed).

What's happening at FS? I think Savage looks more like a BS candidate (though that could be in error). Right now I believe on paper DeCambra and Gill are currently the top two listed FS (and neither has really played). Does somebody get moved or tried out there in the spring? In Florence, Manning, Reed, Laulu, Pleasant, Austin, Davis, plus the two incoming freshman Fields and Obidegwu all of a sudden there seem to be a number of good young CBs. Aaron Flowers also will be an early enrollee. His film sort of shows him playing all over the secondary, does he start at FS?

Not as much jumps out on offense. I guess maybe the open guard spot. Does Bedford show up and claim the spot right away? Does Strother (and his 30 career starts prior to UO) push for a role? Hopeful Kasper has a good spring and maybe gets on the field a bit more next fall.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

From an offensive standpoint, I am really interested to see how the receivers are meshing with Dillon as a left handed quarterback.

It may not sound like a big adjustment but the ball spins the opposite way when thrown by a left handed QB, so it looks different.  A left handed QB likes to roll out a different way and scramble drills have to be coached differently.  And, his blind side is the other side of the line now.

I trust that the coaches will have worked on those aspects and I am excited to see how it syncs.  

Defense is our secondary.  The coverage guys coming in are TALL and I am excited to see their work against the receivers.  Historically, Oregon had not had tall DB's and I feel like that was always an issue going up against WRs.

Lastly, the battle between Novosad and Moore.  I think we've assumed this will be the QB2 position, and I excited to see both of them air it out.

• Thumbs Up 2

I made the mistake last year of not paying attention to the portal transfers until after the Spring Game, as I was shocked at what I saw.  This year I am going to study the portal transfer players carefully before the Spring Game, and really watch to see if they can help as the coaches hope.

As noted above--there is a TON of talent on this team, and most of it is quite young and has to be sorted out.  We will have more transfers out after the Spring Game when some players see they are at the bottom of the depth chart.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/6/2024 at 7:03 AM, AnotherOD said:

What does the DL look like, especially the interior? Ware-Hudson has played a fair amount over the years and the veteran log jam up front seems to have cleared up a bit for him. Do Ben Roberts and/or A'Mauri Washington flash? Where does Blake Purchase fit in? Really all the young DL. I saw Breland, Rushing, Sims, Grey, and Jones all listed as early enrollees (didn't see JJ listed).

What's happening at FS? I think Savage looks more like a BS candidate (though that could be in error). Right now I believe on paper DeCambra and Gill are currently the top two listed FS (and neither has really played). Does somebody get moved or tried out there in the spring? In Florence, Manning, Reed, Laulu, Pleasant, Austin, Davis, plus the two incoming freshman Fields and Obidegwu all of a sudden there seem to be a number of good young CBs. Aaron Flowers also will be an early enrollee. His film sort of shows him playing all over the secondary, does he start at FS?

Not as much jumps out on offense. I guess maybe the open guard spot. Does Bedford show up and claim the spot right away? Does Strother (and his 30 career starts prior to UO) push for a role? Hopeful Kasper has a good spring and maybe gets on the field a bit more next fall.

Agree 99%. Only exception is Kasper. He never comes down with the ball. If I'm going to go with someone like that I'd pick Lowe, the legacy kid who has flashed way more in his limited play.

I gotcha. It's just so hard not to be intrigued by 6-6. 

DLine.

Hoping the bare miss on Nolan was not the missing ingredient.