Grandpa Duck

The B1G vs. the PAC-12

Here we are with the NC game less than two hours away.  How unusual with no teams from the southern part of the US competing.  Seems as though that's a first in the last 10 years, maybe longer.  But if its not, someone can correct me.

Chuck Culpepper, today, writing in The Sports Moment for the Washington Post succinctly stated the difference between the two teams playing for the NC this evening:

“In a real sense, these two teams exhibit the 20th and 21st centuries in college football. 

Michigan plays a style reminiscent of the 20th century, with a punishing running attack and a hard defense ranked No. 1 nationally. “ 

“Washington plays the style seen across the young 21st, rich in passing and artistic beauty and football geometry.”

Well said, Mr. Culpepper.  The poet in me wants to create a visual of Washington skipping through the tree tops while Michigan is determinedly crawling through the humas left from falling leaves and needles.

Too bad TV does not have the capacity to shift from vivid color when the Mutts have the ball to black and white when the wolverines are on offense.  

After this game there will be only one undefeated Division I college football team.  Reigning FCS champion, South Dakota State, is yet to lose, and probably will not for at least the rest of 2024.  But as the new season comes on, neither Washington nor Michigan will be undefeated at the end of next year's regular season schedule because they play each other, at Washington.

Next year the B1G will go through the agony of extremely difficult schedules where the best teams beat up on one another to the point that we will probably see two southern teams in the 2024 NC championship game.  So, enjoy this match-up tonight.  It's not likely that we will see anything close to two so different syles facing off for all the marbles again.

• Applause 1

It appears the SEC will cannibalize just as much.  UGA isn't escaping Ole Miss this year.  They face Missouri again.  Bama has a difficult schedule too.

I doubt we'll see an undefeated SEC team this year (again).

Made for TV matchups are going to be routine.  

I believe we will see matchups like this on the regular.  I certainly hope so.

I'm all for USC being much better this year, UW being as close to this year, and OBD rising as far as this year.

I want UM, OSU and PSU as good or better.

I just want damn good college football.  Even from the SEC. 

Nothing is worse than subpar football.  May excellence reign forever more and  as widespread as possible.

Awesome CFB is better than the boring NFL(I only watch that league in the playoffs).   I loved watching Bama v. TEXAS , Bama v. Ole Miss, and UGA v Missouri.  tOSU v. PSU, UM v. PSU and UM v tOSU.  

That kind of football is compelling.   Give me excellent college football or give me death.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:06 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Next year the B1G will go through the agony of extremely difficult schedules where the best teams beat up on one another to the point that we will probably see two southern teams in the 2024 NC championship game.

As Jon's article the other day demonstrated...the schedules next year of most SEC teams is brutal, especially now that they added Texas and Oklahoma to it.

"In 2024, Bama plays No. 6. Georgia and No. 9. Missouri in Tuscaloosa. Bama plays No. 12. Oklahoma (the Saturday before the Iron Bowl,) No. 13 LSU, and No.21 Tennessee on the road."

"In 2024. Georgia opens with No. 22 Clemson in Atlanta, and plays on the road at No. 4 Alabama, No. 3 Texas, and No. 11 Ole Miss with a home game versus No. 21. Tennessee."

So both Alabama and Georgia have five very difficult games next year, while Oregon's schedule has four or five brutal ones as well.  There are no gimmies on the schedule of a Super-Conference now, so welcome to big-time college football!

FishDuck FP 2.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Mike West said:

That kind of football is compelling. 

Amen, Duck-Brother.  There will be SO MANY can't miss games to watch next fall in our new conference...whew!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Under these scenarios I think it’s safe to say at large CFP teams are likely to have 2 losses. Maybe even 3 once in a blue moon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/8/2024 at 6:19 PM, Mike West said:

It appears the SEC will cannibalize just as much.  UGA isn't escaping Ole Miss this year.  They face Missouri again.  Bama has a difficult schedule too.

I doubt we'll see an undefeated SEC team this year (again).

Made for TV matchups are going to be routine.  

I believe we will see matchups like this on the regular.  I certainly hope so.

I'm all for USC being much better this year, UW being as close to this year, and OBD rising as far as this year.

I want UM, OSU and PSU as good or better.

I just want damn good college football.  Even from the SEC. 

Nothing is worse than subpar football.  May excellence reign forever more and  as widespread as possible.

Awesome CFB is better than the boring NFL(I only watch that league in the playoffs).   I loved watching Bama v. TEXAS , Bama v. Ole Miss, and UGA v Missouri.  tOSU v. PSU, UM v. PSU and UM v tOSU.  

That kind of football is compelling.   Give me excellent college football or give me death.

Great take. UGA plays at Bama, Ole Miss, and Texas. Opens vs Clemson in the ATL but the Dawgs do not play Mizzou in 2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Mike West said:

I'm all for USC being much better this year.... 

Mike, I love competitive games and all, but having watched a few too many USC beatdowns of OBD back in the day at Autzen (in the rain!), I draw the line at the Trojans.

The only instances I'll root for the Trojans: vs. any SEC team or they are playing a team whose losing would benefit OBD's championship profile because OBD've already beat SC, by at least 2 tds.

Losing and SC has to be a more regular feature before I want SC to win. Hearing that bit of their fight song after the most inane play...confirms my dislike anew over and over! Ugh! 

• Thumbs Up 1