DrJacksPlaidPants

Nick Saban is Retiring!

Once Lanning emphatically says NO once again, every recruit in the country will know that he ain't going anywhere. This job has Kiffin or Sark written all over it. Bonus take: DeBoer to the Seahawks!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 5:54 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It’s funny you mention Sark. When this story broke today on SXM’s College Sports channel, Chris Doering was saying that he would be very surprised if Sark and Lanning considered the Bama job since their current programs have everything they need to win.

Oh I'd be surprised too, DL has everything going for him here at Oregon and the same for Sark at Texas.  I'm just pointing out that the most likely "long shot" hire would be Sark given the proximity to Alabama and that he was also a successful OC under Saban.  DL was just a graduate assistant for 1 year there so I doubt there's a really significant emotional attachment to the Tide program.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Bring me Domani Jackson 5*CB who just transfered out of SC to Alabama, and LT Overton 5*DL out of aTm heading to 'Bama.  I want me some more 'Cowbell' errrrrrrr defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is my double-secret bonus take. Pete Carroll to Bama. He can pay his players these day and the NCAA will leave him alone.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, 1Funduck said:

Bring me Domani Jackson 5*CB who just transfered out of SC to Alabama, and LT Overton 5*DL out of aTm heading to 'Bama.  I want me some more 'Cowbell' errrrrrrr defense.

image.jpeg.8602781d0e9c3303491daf4ac285bb1a.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:09 PM, kirklandduck said:

I'm not worried about DL leaving. He's expressed multiple times publicly and emphatically that he's happy at Oregon and has no interest in leaving. He's also said he's tired of moving his family every couple years and just wants to settle down.

He knows what he has at Oregon and the kind of name he's building for himself. 

100% agree.  He has said before, he has everything he needs here to succeed.

I am hoping he is a man of his word and Oregon is his last college job.

Besides, who wants to follow a legend?

• Thumbs Up 2

"Don't follow a legend, be the legend" ..1Funduck

• Thumbs Up 2

Bama AD said he wants a strong recruiter and relationship builder (checkmark for Lanning) and that is ELITE in X’s and O’s (Dan had some bad misses and error losses).  Deboer is the exact opposite.  Meh on recruiting, elite on X’s and O’s.    Feel Bama wants more of a proven guy in BOTH. 

• Let’s hope! 1

So, I heard Greg Byrne is offering Harbaugh kind of money... Amazing what you hear at a public rest room in CornVallitz...

• Haha 2

No emphatic denials and counting to noon tomorrow. 

Watching Joel Klatt’s emergency podcast about this. He makes some shrewd guesses on what the most realistic candidates are for the Alabama job. Per his order:

1. Sark

2. Lanning

3. DeBoer

He points out that Sark had really great history as OC under Saban and that the old man actually talked about setting him up as his successor until the Texas gig opened up. So Sark is the first phone call they will make. But given his current success with the Longhorns he’ll ultimately turn it down.

Lanning would be phone call number two after Sark declines and Klatt thinks it’s a fifty-fifty shot of him accepting. He’s part of the Saban coaching tree and showed he can build a great program in only two years as a HC. But as we all know, he’s got a great thing going here and a young family that loves Eugene. Does he really want to be the guy that follows the GOAT?

If Lanning declines then the next call is DeBoer. No connection to Alabama obviously but they respect his ability to win everywhere he goes. Here’s the interesting part Klatt points out: there’s been contract extension talks for weeks now but nothing has been signed. Guess who DeBoer’s sports agent is? Jimmy Sexton. Guess who’s Nick Saban’s agent? Jimmy Sexton.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning had a team dinner at his house yesterday and was not in Tuscaloosa according to several players

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm tuning out the noise till Lanning makes a statement. Its respectable to entertain coaching offers. You listen to everyone because you never know what tomorrow's turn will take you. For example, Dan's wife is a cancer survivor. What happens if that takes an unexpected turn? Dan gets the ultimate hall pass. 

Till then, I'm waiting on Coach Lannings official statement. "

"Don't follow the Legend, Be the Legend" ---1Funduck.

• Applause 2