Charles Fischer

Gut Punch: The Truth About Local Sports Journalists...Not What I Thought

Truth about Journalists.jpg

Crepea is supposedly on our side, and Canzano is not?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

What Crepea wrote makes me angry...Oregon "refuses to even attempt?"  

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Wait, am I supposed to like one of these two?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Canzano only roots for underdogs. He champions them. If he ever starts rooting for the Ducks then there must be something seriously wrong with our program. 

To quote a favorite coach of mine "They're playing for clicks. We're playing for wins!"

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/14/2024 at 9:15 PM, Dav3d said:

To quote a favorite coach of mine "They're playing for clicks. We're playing for wins!"

My favorite coach as well.

I think Crepea is okay, I've seen him give us our praise, but I've also seen him not sugarcoat it.  That tweet was actually about women's basketball, I just saw the exact tweet that add WBB to it. I doubt he meant the football team.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/14/2024 at 10:38 PM, spartan2785 said:

I doubt he meant the football team

That's why he was nice to Oregon. It's because the WBB are the underdogs these days. That's what he likes.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:56 PM, 2002duck said:

That's why he was nice to Oregon. It's because the WBB are the underdogs these days. That's what he likes.

He wasn't being nice though, he was saying that Oregon doesn't play defense with intensity or grit, they try to say they do, but they don't.  

Really I think Crepea has been pretty fair to the Ducks overall from his time covering the team.

Canzano is constantly trying to either find human interest stories that he thinks will make you shed a tear, bigging up some coach that is projected as an underdog, or tries to stir the pot by putting Oregon down.  Next year I'm sure we'll all have to hear from him how hard luck the Beavs are, and how the big bad Oregon/Washington are big baddies who don't care about their states, and how OSU is a pure example of how college football should be along with WSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, what is the general opinion regarding our defensive philosophy and the application of that philosophy to the effectiveness of our practices and the execution of our defense? 

I am curious what Crepea saw that created the grit that became stuck in his craw such that he despises our coaching, practice, and defensive execution. When I read that statement, I recognized here is a person who despises our coaching, our defensive scheme and players, and our team, overall. So, I ask why? What does Crepea see as the wrong or the category of wrongs we have done to him, or to the viewing public?

Our team is not lazy. Yes, our defense has been over-rated at times by other sportswriters and commentators on and off this season, and I agree our defense (and offense) have been inconsistent during games and during stretches of multiple games. We have not consistently dominated as we should. We are a young team for which we all have high expectations.

Nonetheless, this has been generally the best tackling I have seen our defense execute. There has been very little striking without wrapping up, and the wrapping up has been at waist level and below where the defenders can gain control and break their opponent down the quickest. Tackling has often been by at least a minimum of two defenders facilitating gang tackling.

Even the offensive line has been aggressive and gone after their opposing defensive targets to knock them down and keep them there, and the center and guards have worked on multiple blocks per plays, where possible. It has been fun and enjoyable to watch. If the issue has been that our left and right guards are slower or not as quick as they should be, then I agree with him. The PFF scores validate this assessment. Is this part of the issue related to our defense and execution?

So, what is Mr. Crepeas' issue(s)? Does anyone know? Or, is Crepea just "a dolt camping in an echo chamber of honks", or worse? Is he a vicious writer who means us no good?

My questions are 1) Is he correct, and why or why not? 2) If he is correct, how do the coaches correct it? 3) If he is not correct, but not far off, how do the coaches recognize what right looks like and fix it? 4) If we determine he is wrong and is just a vicious and untrustworthy piss-ant, well, I will leave the rest about the concrete boots unstated. 

It always makes me uncomfortable when Canzano seems to side with or support us. It makes me aware something is not right in the universe. Is Pluto perhaps not really a planetoid in the solar system? Is one of the other planetoids going to careen through our solar system toward the Sun but suddenly veer toward us and land on the Big House on 12 NOV just before the Ducks take the field to defeat the Wolverines? Are Ducks a more vicious and dangerous mascot after which to model ourselves than a wolverine?

Thanks and VR, KCDuck1 ;-))

I think it's important to again point out that Crepea was talking about Women's basketball, he wasn't talking about football, the women's basketball is not a good team, they beat Arizona solely because Arizona basically play like mad women on defense but they aren't talented enough so they foul a ton.  

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, let's get this context right. I'm not a huge Crepea fan as I think he is a bit of a pompous know it all, but he was specifically talking about WBB, not football. 

Agreed, this was about WBB, but the post from "X" gave no context, thus I interpreted it wrong.

Mr. FishDuck

It’s these guys job to cause a stir or they won’t have a job.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:38 PM, spartan2785 said:

I think Crepea is okay, I've seen him give us our praise, but I've also seen him not sugarcoat it.  That tweet was actually about women's basketball, I just saw the exact tweet that add WBB to it. I doubt he meant the football team.

Well, a bit harsh about the Women's BB, but makes more sense than if he'd been talking about football.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:12 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed, this was about WBB, but the post from "X" gave no context, thus I interpreted it wrong.

Yeah, no worries, it looks like he edited his tweet, so it's easy to see how you would have interpreted it that way.