NJDuck

BREAKING: Oregon Cornerbacks Coach Demetrice Martin to Take Job at Michigan State

Oregon CB coach Demetrice Martin is off to Michigan State.

After staving off Alabama for Dan Lanning's services as head coach, the Ducks lost its first member of the coaching staff this offseason as Demetrice Martin has accepted the cornerbacks coach position at Michigan State. Martin played cornerback and wide receiver for the Spartans from 1992-1995. 

The news was announced on Tuesday by 247Sports Matt Zenitz and confirmed by DuckTerritory.com.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks’ cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin is expected to leave Eugene and join the coaching staff at Michigan State.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon CB coach Demetrice Martin is off to Michigan State.

• Salute 1

He attended Michigan State, so I guess in that sense he is going "home."

This one's a bit of a head-scratcher to me.  Sure a DC job with MSU would make career sense, but a lateral move as CB coach?  I can't imagine the draw of his alma mater is that strong, especially since we're loaded and MSU is in rebuild mode. 

Could this possibly be Lanning giving him the nudge?

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:35 PM, noDucknewby said:

This one's a bit of a head-scratcher to me.  Sure a DC job with MSU would make career sense, but a lateral move as CB coach?  I can't imagine the draw of his alma mater is that strong, especially since we're loaded and MSU is in rebuild mode. 

It could possibly be Michigan State writing a bigger check than the Ducks.

Ironically, Jabbar Muhammad did not mention Martin when asked who was contacting him from Oregon.  Listed a bunch of coaches but not Martin.  Maybe Lanning has known this was coming and that is why there is no mention of Martin from Muhammad even though that would have been his position coach.  Lanning has a great track record for replacing staff so I am confident he will get this one right as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/16/2024 at 2:41 PM, DUCKED said:

It could possibly be Michigan State writing a bigger check than the Ducks.

And probably a title bump as well.  

Hmmm, now we understand a little better why Cole Martin transferred.  Must have known Dad was going to leave, but not sure where he would land, so he decided to go home to play in Arizona.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe...he told Lanning that he wanted to train to be a DC, and between Lupoi and Hampton...there was no bandwidth for that?  For Meat to have his career progress beyond DBs coach, he would have to go somewhere else?

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

His son leaving was definitely odd, given he played as a freshman. Seeing him leave and multiple DB recruits coming in seems like it was a known move.

I look for an upgrade from Lanning, as usual. Grateful for what Martin brought! Thank You!Unknown.jpeg.6467386fff776509cb9b47bd08f262e0.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:35 PM, noDucknewby said:

Was wondering the same thing.  Dan is not shy about making a move if it's for the greater good.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:43 PM, Ben H said:

Ironically, Jabbar Muhammad did not mention Martin when asked who was contacting him from Oregon.  Listed a bunch of coaches but not Martin.  Maybe Lanning has known this was coming and that is why there is no mention of Martin from Muhammad even though that would have been his position coach.  Lanning has a great track record for replacing staff so I am confident he will get this one right as well.

I picked up on this as well regarding no mention of DM by Jabbar.

This may have been in the works for awhile.

Just speculating

With the defensive backs not always being our strength this year, I cant help but wonder if once again there is a master plan we will become aware of.