NJDuck

Oregon Lands top-5 Slot in Joel Klatt's Early Top 10 for 2024 Season

“Relatively speaking, for as difficult as a schedule could be in the new Big Ten, it’s manageable,” Klatt said. “They get Ohio State and Washington but both of those teams are in Eugene. They do have to go to the Big House and play Michigan, but at least it’s a year when Michigan is at least on paper not primed to make a run to the national championship.”

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon is a team Joel Klatt remains bullish on entering the 2024 season.
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The On3 podcasters, all five of them had Oregon between 2 and 5.

• Thumbs Up 1

All that matters is you finish at #11 or better (assuming G5 will take a slot while not being ranked in the top 12 which seems to be a safe bet)

NGL, that’s going to be tough for the Ducks even though they likely will be a top 11 relative to all other teams in the playoff field (that is, ranking and actual quality may not be the same).  

I think they blitz UW (because beating the bag out of the Huskies feels like the right thing to do.  That and the talent gap.).

Assuming they hold serve everywhere else I think they are going to need to split the OSU/UM gauntlet.  

It’s a tough first year in the BIG for sure.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rankings?  For 2024 season?  In football?  The talking heads do understand that final staff, rosters, and position groups won't actually be known until this fall, but I guess you have to fill your "space" with something to talk about.  Ok, I'll play along.

B1G10 (16/17/18/?) Oregon Football is going to be different than most any season in the past PAC10/12.  The conference strength will rival the SEC on a yearly basis and because of this, 2-3 loss seasons, depending upon strength of schedule, will not automatically exclude a team from a possible invite to the post season (especially when it expands to 16 teams).

Fans are going to have to adjust their expectations on what a "successful" season will be.  ALL of the elite teams in college football are going to experience a loss or two, especially in the age of two Super conferences, and the focus for most will be to simply get into the playoffs and make a run at the title in the last 3 games of the postseason.  There will always be a few undefeated teams each year but I don't believe we will be seeing any 25-30 game win streaks anymore in college football (unless of course it be OBD!).

It will be interesting, to say the least, but it should be a fun ride.  With the investment into our athletic department over the last quarter century, OBD ARE and will remain a player in the new college athletic reality and should be a contender in the B1G well into the foreseeable future.

Just give me another quarter century of awesome 😎 Duck Fandom;  after that my biggest concern will be if I can find anything I can chew or if some machine will be doing that for me?  (Reference any of ya ole dogs out there?!).  As always.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

Klatt: 1. Georgia - Number 1. in every poll I have seen to date. But neutral site vs. Clemson and Florida. Road games vs, Kentucky, Texas, Bama, and Ole Miss. And home vs. Auburn, TENN., and an improving Georgia Tech. WOW! A lot of guys are back but lots of guys are headed to the NFL including TE Brock Bowers.

2. Ohio State - Most of the talent is back. Michigan in Columbus. Road games vs Oregon and Penn State look to be the only away-from-Columbus tests. Wags are calling this the OSPPS - The Ohio State Playoff Protection Schedule.

3. Oregon - Thanks Joel. Makes some sense to be behind the Buckeyes because the Ducks 2024 schedule is far more difficult than tOSU.

4. Texas - Skip Bama but play UGA in Austin. Play the 14th easiest SOS of the 16 SEC teams.

5. Alabama - I don't know about this. It's still an 8 game conference schedule in the SEC but Bama trips to Wisconsin and with OK/TX in town it is going to be harder for SEC teams to finish with lofty records.

6. Ole Miss - Can Kiff get over the 2-SEC-loss hump? No Bama and UGA visits Oxford. 

7. Michigan - So many questions. Texas, USC, Oregon, UW, and Ohio State are on the schedule. Good luck.

8. Utah - Makes more sense now that Fisch is gone. AZ does trip to SLC. But has Whit lost his mo-jo? I'd have K St. here.

9. Notre Dame - Schedule lightens up from 2023. Interesting opener at A+M. Does Marcus Freeman have the chops?

10. Penn State - No Michigan. Ohio State at home. Same question as Kiff. Can PSU get over the 2 loss hump?

I would have seriously considered: Clemson; Mizzou; LSU; K St; OK St; and excuse me, USC.

Oregon finishes 3rd, NICE! But 3rd behind tOSU means an extra playoff game; the 17th game for the Ducks, assuming OR played OH ST in the B1G champ game, would be played in Atlanta on 1/20/25 for the champ game. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1