Charles Fischer

Whoa! A Recruiting Vacuum from the Departure of Saban and Harbaugh is Filled by Lanning?

Chad Simmons the National Director of Recruiting at On3 reported that highly coveted 2025 recruit Nasir Wyatt postponed his planned trip to visit Florida this weekend, in order to visit Oregon in this big recruiting weekend.  This was due to a personal visit by Dan Lanning, who convinced him of this change in travel plans.

This is pretty powerful stuff, that while appears minor...is NOT something we have seen at Oregon in the past.  Not even from Taggart or Cristobal in recruiting.  Then I saw a post by Flyingsouth on the On3 site that described what might be going on quite well:

"Lanning is a Rock Star who is still rising in College Football. With Saban and Harbaugh exiting the scene, there is a vacuum at the top. I can’t think of another coach with more swagger, cachet, and name recognition right now. Smart has the great record but Lanning has a more dynamic personality to cash in on any successes on the recruiting trail and in season success that Oregon achieves. His relatable youthful personality coupled with Oregon’s innovative brand and Social media and marketing department is a winning combination.

Throw in CDL’s willingness to never miss an opportunity to promote the program, see the only visiting coach to be on set for College Gameday, and CDL being the main coach pregame of the National Title Game, and the Bama coaching rumors (If you are worried about your coach leaving?) as prime examples.

The future is Bright and Green in Eugene!

Wowsa.  I think that is an observation that few of us thought of...that two of the most powerful recruiters in college football are gone, and that is a wide-open opportunity for Oregon and all up-and-coming programs to fill the void.  I do not see the new coach at Michigan, Alabama or even Ohio State keeping up with Lanning over the longer term.  Look at the final top 25 for 2023 and think of the coaches who can challenge Lanning as the best recruiter?

While there are no guarantees in this recruiting business...this new void at the top assures to me--that Dan Lanning is going have an even better chance at a top five recruiting class every year.  Kirby is formidable, but he does not have Lanning's warmth, charm and energy.

Good gosh...everything lining up well for Our Beloved Ducks!

image.png

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/2/2024 at 9:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Bama coaching rumors (If you are worried about your coach leaving?) as prime examples.

The future is Bright and Green in Eugene!

For me this is the big one, in this ever rotating coach's carousel families and athletes just wants stability and Lanning is offering that in spades with this comment. The other thing I think many recruits like is that he keeps it real and isn't just a clickbait social media darling full of fluff.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Kirby is formidable, but he does not have Lanning's warmth, charm and energy.

But he is at Georgia which is at the heart some of the best recruiting in the country and he has two National Championships to his name. Right now Georgia is king in terms of recruiting with Alabama losing Saban. 

On that note I never found Saban that warm, or charismatic but I am sure he is a different person around his players than he is in front of a camera. 

• Great post! 1

There’s definitely a vacuum, ask Lane

Need some billboards all around Eugene for recruiting . . .

image.png.ae0e62aff7b9160fdb0dad59d3dd6201.png

On 2/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Steven A said:

Need some billboards all around Eugene for recruiting . . .

image.png.ae0e62aff7b9160fdb0dad59d3dd6201.png

Nahhh.... Eugene is good but.....

Southern California and Texas. 

and probably every city where there is a B1G school for good measure. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 12:17 PM, Dave23 said:

For me this is the big one, in this ever rotating coach's carousel families and athletes just wants stability and Lanning is offering that in spades with this comment. The other thing I think many recruits like is that he keeps it real and isn't just a clickbait social media darling full of fluff.

Now rumored that former UW and Bama OC Ryan Grubb will be leaving Bama to be the Seahawks OC. This move would not surprise me. With the chaos in CFB today it was not surprising to see the BC head coach leave for the pros. 

Roster management in CFB today is coach crazy-making. And not everyone is like Dan, Kirby Smart, and other great recruiters who go at it 24/7 every day of the year.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:06 AM, David Marsh said:

So, we alter the tee shirt slogan to, ‘The Grass is Damn Plastic in Pasadena’, and ‘The Grass is Damn Brown in Brownsville’?

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:06 PM, David Marsh said:

and probably every city where there is a B1G school for good measure. 

I say Go For It and plant the Oregon flag in Atlanta, Birmingham, and Miami.

• Go Ducks! 1