Jon Joseph

ESPN Thoughts On the 12 Team Playoff

WWW.ESPN.COM

We're cautiously excited to see how the expanded postseason will change college football. And we're ready to make some guesses about who might be in it.

Most of the ESPN pundits put two pac-12 teams (well formally Pac-12) in the playoff. Oregon and Utah... I kinda feel that could have happened the conference stayed together anyways. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not a lot of imagination in that group.  The main problem is “selection” of playoff teams by a committee.  And, too much power by TV network contracts with only two of the conferences.  Conferences that have far too many teams.

Break up the conferences and allocate teams into eight ten-team leagues by geography.  Every team plays every other team in their league on a nine-game conference schedule.  Conference Champions playoff in an eight tam tournament.  Settle the whole thing n the field.

Much more on this later.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2024 at 12:50 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Not a lot of imagination in that group.  The main problem is “selection” of playoff teams by a committee.  And, too much power by TV network contracts with only two of the conferences.  Conferences that have far too many teams.

Break up the conferences and allocate teams into eight ten-team leagues by geography.  Every team plays every other team in their league on a nine-game conference schedule.  Conference Champions playoff in an eight tam tournament.  Settle the whole thing n the field.

Much more on this later.

I think we will ultimately (sooner rather than later) see a 32-team Super Conference, each team sponsored by an NFL team, private equity firm, a shoe company, whatever.

4 4-team divisions in each conference. And an NFL-like playoff.  The Power 2 is the powerhouse. I see no impetus for these 2 to do anything that will make the PO come 2026 more inclusive. Except, I can see going to 16 teams but this would only add the opportunity for P2 teams to be in the field. 16 teams in 2023/24 and Missouri, LSU, and Oklahoma would have been in the field.

I can also see the P2 holding a B1G vs. SEC postseason event. Like what we see today in many postseason games but with games played in LA, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Detroit and not just in Dixie. 

Sankey has in the past recognized the need for regional diversity being represented in the sport, a clashing of regions has been the charm of college football. If it becomes a homogenized NFL lite, why wouldn’t people just watch the NFL?

I'm someone that usually watches football for 12 hours plus on Saturdays, but I skipped out on numerous recent playoff games when it turned into SEC or B1G conference rematches. I was far more interested in the final four this year when there was finally some geographic/conference diversity. 

I guess the question will be if the regional matchups consistently translate to a national audience, I’m not sure they do. I will say, to me, the B1G feels like more of a national conference than the SEC. We’ll learn a lot this fall.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jabba, good point; however, the B1G now expands from the Atlantic to the Pacific. A 12-team playoff and certainly a 16-team playoff if we go there, will include the Left Coast, the SW with OK and TX, the East/Midwest, and the South. 

But, Don't Worry Be Happy! No matter the evolution (devolution in the mind of some which I get) of CFB, OREGON by every metric makes the biggest boy cut. 

It will be different for us Old Timers especially, but millions of future CFB fans (or whatever the equivalent may be) have yet to be born.

Alabama sponsored by the New York Giants, vs Auburn sponsored by the New York Jets will draw fans and eyeballs. Ditto Oregon sponsored by the 49ers vs USC sponsored by the Rams and Ohio State sponsored by the Browns vs Michigan sponsored by the Lions.

I believe all such contests will draw more eyeballs and attention than Bama playing the Citadel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also found it funny that at least one person on that list had Boise State making the 12 team playoff. 

No way they are getting through Oregon , Oregon State and Washington State next year undefeated which is what it's going to take as a G5 school to make the playoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:33 PM, David Marsh said:

I also found it funny that at least one person on that list had Boise State making the 12 team playoff. 

No way they are getting through Oregon , Oregon State and Washington State next year undefeated which is what it's going to take as a G5 school to make the playoffs. 

Saw this too DM! Worse, Adelson has Florida making the PO, 5 SEC teams, and 2 B1G teams in the field. Think this would put more pressure on the SEC to go to 9 conference games? It would but it isn't happening.

Oregon is in every 'expert's' prediction which is nice. 

13-0 will likely have Liberty in over a more worthy 2 or 3L Tulane, Memphis, Boise, etc. I think this Boise team if Nelson comes through at QB can defeat both Pac-2 opponents.

Jabba, a 12-team field based on the College Football News early ranking has 5 SEC teams and 4 B1G teams in the mix. This will be par for the course. SEC: Georgia; Texas; Alabama; Ole Miss; and LSU. B1G: Ohio State; Oregon; Michigan; and Penn State. He also has Utah in as the 4th seed as the B12 champ. Rinse and repeat except that I believe USC will be a consistent challenger for a PO spot along with OBD. 

Sankey was talking a good game while poaching OK and TX. 1st and foremost, Sankey wants the most SEC teams in the Playoffs as possible.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

think this Boise team if Nelson comes through at QB can defeat both Pac-2 opponents.

Absolutely possible ... But I wouldn't take that bet because it is just as possible Boise drops one of the two. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Jabba, a 12-team field based on the College Football News early ranking has 5 SEC teams and 4 B1G teams in the mix. This will be par for the course. SEC: Georgia; Texas; Alabama; Ole Miss; and LSU. B1G: Ohio State; Oregon; Michigan; and Penn State. He also has Utah in as the 4th seed as the B12 champ. Rinse and repeat except that I believe USC will be a consistent challenger for a PO spot along with OBD. 

Sankey was talking a good game while poaching OK and TX. 1st and foremost, Sankey wants the most SEC teams in the Playoffs as possible.

Oh no doubt, he wants to be the kingpin, but if the regional focus gets too narrow viewership will go down. There are exceptions of course, CSU/CU ended up a top 10 viewed game I believe.

Questions surround future of College Football Playoff

WWW.ESPN.COM

The CFP management committee meets this week with several topics swirling, including the number of playoff teams and the distribution of revenue and access.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Adelson has Florida making the PO, 5 SEC teams, and 2 B1G teams in the field. Think this would put more pressure on the SEC to go to 9 conference games? It would but it isn't happening.

THIS needs to be addressed above all else.  Having half of the B1G take on another loss against other B1G schools, when 95% of the SEC are guaranteed one more "in the Win column" against clearly inferior opponents has, for years, artificially boosted the perceived strength of the SEC.  And they KNOW that.

If SEC continues to only play 8 conference games then they need to be Punished by the selection committee when deciding between two teams from different conferences with the same win/loss record.  The one with 9 conference games, regardless of SOS, needs to be placed above ANY other team that only plays 8.

Hopefully that this is going to change soon, like NLT 2025 schedule, but not holding my breathe.  But we shall see.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, MicroBurst61 said:

THIS needs to be addressed above all else.  Having half of the B1G take on another loss against other B1G schools, when 95% of the SEC are guaranteed one more "in the Win column" against clearly inferior opponents has, for years, artificially boosted the perceived strength of the SEC.  And they KNOW that.

If SEC continues to only play 8 conference games then they need to be Punished by the selection committee when deciding between two teams from different conferences with the same win/loss record.  The one with 9 conference games, regardless of SOS, needs to be placed above ANY other team that only plays 8.

Hopefully that this is going to change soon, like NLT 2025 schedule, but not holding my breathe.  But we shall see.

Great take. The ACC for as long as it survives also needs to go 9 conference games. 16 SEC teams, 17 ACC teams, and 8 games?

And if Notre Dame wants independence the Domers should have to play 13 regular season games with at least 10 vs P4 opponents. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The two power conferences continue to appear in lockstep after announcing an advisory group late last week

NLRB rules that Dartmouth (!) men's basketball players are employees and are free to form or join a union and bargain with the employer, Dartmouth College. This is one step further in the process than Northwestern football players achieved a few years back.

Dartmouth will appeal the ruling but it is clear that the NLRB intends to push this issue and bigger schools, USC for one, have been served notice. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

With just over 200 days until kickoff of the 2024 college football season, two schools are wielding power through one veto vote

The Beavers and not Texas Tech, right?

On 2/3/2024 at 2:22 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Alabama sponsored by the New York Giants, vs Auburn sponsored by the New York Jets will draw fans and eyeballs. Ditto Oregon sponsored by the 49ers vs USC sponsored by the Rams and Ohio State sponsored by the Browns vs Michigan sponsored by the Lions.

Like Arte Johnson used to say on Laugh In, "verrry interesting".

Georgia would be sponsored by the Falcons. Fans would get the added bonus of having the Falcons actually play the Bulldogs in the preseason. Given how the Dirty Birds have been the last several seasons, Vegas would have the Dawgs by a FG.

• Haha 1