Jon Joseph

2024 - Ranking Oregon's Opponents and Ranking Other B1G Teams Not on the Schedule.

College Football News (CFN) has preseason ranked the G5, Pac-2, and Power 4 teams. 134 teams in total. 

Oregon's Opponents -

8/31 - Idaho NR - The Vandals were seeded No. 4 in the 2023 FCS playoff.

9/7 - Boise State - No. 57 - Boise will be in the G5 playoff mix.

9/14 - At Oregon State - No. 69 - With OSU having no chance to be ranked No. 2., I like this ranking. 

9/21 - Idle

9/28 - At UCLA - No. 31 - While Puddles naps on the 21st, the Bruins play at LSU. Will The Chipper be on the sideline? 

10/5 - Michigan State - No. 46 - J Smith and Aiden Chiles back on the Autzen sidelines. Chiles and not DJU on the mound for Sparty.

10/12 - Ohio State - No. 1 - Just ahead of UGA because of UGA's more difficult SOS. Line - Ducks -1.5. Means 1.5 for the home field. Pick 'Em. 

10/19 - At Purdue - No. 64 - Boilers come in 18 out of the B1G 18.

10/26 - Illinois - No. 60 - How will Oregon play after its first 2024 to the Eastern time zone?

11/2. - At Michigan - No. 7 - A B1G battle in the Big House. New O. New Coach. Solid D returns for MI. East - Home - East. NFL-Lite?

11/9 - Maryland - No. 33 - Terps' trip to Autzen off of an Idle Week. 

11/16 - At Wisconsin - No. 30. - Badgers are idle before the Ducks fly into chilly Madison. East - Home - East - Home - Central. NFL- Heavy?

11/23 - Idle - A much-needed rest.

11/30 - Washington - No. 18 - Is this too high a ranking for a ripped-up UW roster? 

Other B1G Rankings - 

No. 8 - Penn State/ No. 16 - USC/ No. 35 Nebraska/ No. 42 - Minnesota/ No. 50 - Rutgers/ No. 60 - Indiana/ No. 61 - Northwestern

CFN - 2024 Playoff Rankings Prediction -

1. Ohio State / 2. Georgia/ 3. FSU/ 4. Utah

5. Texas

6. OREGON

7. Alabama

8. Ole Miss

9. Michigan

10. Penn State

11. LSU

12. G5

1st Round - 11. LSU at 6. OREGON? Bring it On!

Go Ducks! Vandalize the Vandals! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Cool break down thanks!

That UW ranking is ridiculous. 6-6 my over/under for pups, I’ll take the under.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If the ducks can win their first 5 then I believe 10 / 2 will be attainable. If they handle OSU at home then maybe 11 / 1 but it will be tough physical games the rest of the way so being deep and healthy will be the key.

I am going to be perpetually confused bc we will be playing “OSU” twice most years.

Yes, I know the diff btwn OSU and tOSU (and that other OSU), but most don’t.

Potentially 3 OSUs in 2023? Camp game vs tOSU. John Canzano Conference member OSU,  And wannabe P2, B12 Oklahoma State. 

Playoffs? Playoffs! Bring back Jim Mora? Kingsbury has said 'No' to the Raiders.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 2/4/2024 at 2:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

3. FSU/ 4. Utah

This entire list can't be taken seriously with these placements.

• Mic drop 1

I think the 3/4 placements above reflect the suppositions that Utah will win the Big-12 and FSU the ACC and, hence will enjoy a Bye week. Yet even with a bye, both these teams will be extremely vulnerable IMHO in the coming second round matchups.  But what do I know? As we have not had a 12-team playoff with Bye teams, maybe the Bye is more advantageous than I think it is.

The biggest advantage I can see at this point is giving the Bye teams an extra week to get more fully healthy for the games to come. I don't want to sound like Cryin Day here, but I sure wish there had been a week between the last regular season game and the SEC championship game last December. Both Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey played for Georgia, valiantly limping around all over the field doing their best to help their team, but they were far from themselves that day. At the end of a tough season time to heal could be tremendously important to a team's fortunes. 

Sorry to get off track here from the point of the thread. Just free associating in the late evening I guess.

• Great post! 1

Jon thanks for your thoughts and projections for the 2024 Duck season and the 12 potential CFP teams.

If they give the champs of the P4 Conferences automatic first round byes in the CFP, then your picks for FSU and Utah as 3 and 4 are very solid.

I feel like the mid november road trip to Whisky and the final game at home against the huskies are the key to CFP for OBD's.

No room for a 3rd loss......

My way to early and uninformed top 4 in the BIG.....

tOSU - 12-0

PSU -11-1 ( Easy schedule IMHO)

MIchigan 11-1

Whoever finishes 10-2 amongst

Oregon-Iowa-Wisconsin-Usuck

There is no room for a 9-3 team from the BIG.

If the Ducks and trojans finish 10-2 then the BIG could have 5 teams in the CFP and the SEC 4 teams.

Gonna be fun and somebody is going to be left out. The more it changes the more things stay the same..

If 2 teams from the same conference make it to the Natty the payouts to that conference could be between $200 and $250 million dollars. WOW!

Go Ducks.......

• Thanks 1

The 2024/25 and 2025/26 Playoff field will have the 6 highest seeded conference champions and 6 at large teams selected by the PO committee. It is expected that the format will go to a 5-7 model although the Pac-2 (12) has not yet approved this change. Approval to 5/7 is expected. The Pac-2 asking for a delay in the vote may have been the straw that advanced the announcement of the B1G/SEC alliance. The Power 2 is done with not having the same voting power on big-time CFB matters as G5 teams and left behinds like OSU and WSU.

In 2024 and 2025, both ACC and B1G champs will most likely be ranked in the top 4. Using the CFN rankings model, No. 10 FSU would be playoff seed N0. 3. No. 4 playoff seed would be No. 14 Utah. These two would earn a bye, but Texas and Oregon would not. This is "Bye", as properly defined; moving ahead in a tournament without having to play an opponent. An Idle or Off Week is not a 'bye.' Makes no sense to me but thems the rules for the next two seasons. 

Whether in a 6/6 or 5/7 format, the top 4 highest-ranked conference champions with get the 4 top seeds. So, conference champion teams outside the top 12 will get in with a first-round bye. The principal reason why the Playoff format will change in 2026/27. Conference champs may be protected, but the top 4 ranked teams, whether or not there are 1st round-byes come 2026, will be seeded 1-4. 

The B1G and the SEC collectively have 34 teams. The Power 2 will be defining the Playoff format in 2026, and going forward. And if UNC and Notre Dame join the B1G and Clemson and FSU the SEC, it could well be a battle of the B1G vs the SEC. What 'brand names' would be left out?