FishDuck Article

The Pac-12 is Dead; Let Chaos Reign

The Pac-12 was the conference of cannibals and usually the most chaotic conference in the country. It was certainly one of the most interesting and entertaining to watch because, on any given week, anyone could beat anyone. Mr. FishDuck took some away from studying odds to win the Super Bowl, and enjoying Super Bowl Props to agree with my contention ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Pac-12 was the conference of cannibals and usually the most chaotic conference in the country. It was certainly one of the most...
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks David Marsh. I am still mourning the loss of the  Pac 12.  From Santa Rosa CA, I will no longer be able to day trip to Stanford or Berkeley to see my DUCKS! Still look forward to Eugene for one game per year. BTW a friend yesterday told me that he and three friends are going to the Ohio State game. The closest hotel room they could book was Cottage Grove!. They still have to purchase tickets on the secondary market. I wonder what the price will be. These are some of the hurdles when you are not local and do not have season tickets. Oh well..........

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice read on the effects of "transplanted" PAC12 teams and the unintended consequences of years of the PAC having been taken lightly.

With 3-5 top 25 matchups for most playoff contenders in both the top heavy SEC and B1G,  I would find it hilarious if they "cannibalized wins" from each other (like what would happen annually in the PAC) and a few of the ex'pac' members slip into the playoffs ahead of the top heavies.  (NO!...not talking about OBD's in this scenario).

Maybe, just maybe, the defunct PAC (Sorry OSU/WSU - just don't see a path back to conference relevance...well maybe NOT too sorry!) will Finally get the respect they should have earned, posthumously, and for whatever that recognition will be worth to the fans and alumni of that once majestic conference.

At the very least it will give the talking heads more data points to fill the never ending sports news cycle with.

Go Quackers!

• Applause 1

But the Pac-2 is holding up approval from a 6-6 to 5-7 PO format and come 2026 if they don't play ball, OR ST and WA ST will likely be stiff-armed by the B1G/SEC. All G5 conferences have approved the 5-7.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

Last week, the SEC and the Big Ten made a power move about the future control of college sports, especially college football. A coalition was defined by the two

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 2/6/2024 at 11:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But the Pac-2 is holding up approval from a 6-6 to 5-7 PO format and come 2026 if they don't play ball, OR ST and WA ST will likely be stiff-armed by the B1G/SEC. All G5 conferences have approved the 5-7.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

Last week, the SEC and the Big Ten made a power move about the future control of college sports, especially college football. A coalition was defined by the two

I'm sure G5 would also approve 6-6 if PAC2 is not recognized as a conference by the CFP. HaHa.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the article, David.

I like the thought of the other conferences laughing at the Pac demise and now having to suffer the unintended consequences of their cannibalism.

I think we all would love to see former Pac 12 teams claim the B1G and Big 12 this fall.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. David, terrific article. The Pac-12 is defunct but this isn't stopping the Pac-2 from so far, black-balling the PO format change from 6-6 to 5-7. (See post above.) This is a bad long-term move. The B1G and the SEC could easily decide to hold a PO on their own.

The results from the PO 1st round games but out to bid have not been positive. CFB honchos thought these games would bring in $25M each. However, a Ducks vs Liberty 1st round game was valued at only $5M. ESPN may buy the entire post-2025 PO for $1.3B, less than what was being counted on from the new PO media deal. Why make room for 'The Little Guy' when ROI stinks? An 8th seed B1G Iowa playing 1st seed SEC Georgia in Athens would draw far more eyeballs than Liberty playing 'Tween the Hedges.

The Pac-2 holding up the change to the PO format is one reason why the B1G/SEC Alliance was formed. The Power 2 does not want to have lesser teams and conferences deciding on where CFB in particular is headed.  The Pac-2 has no broadcast deal of its own. It is paying the MW to play games against MW teams but OSU and WSU will not be able to compete for a conference title in 2024 and 2025. The two also agreed to pay $10M down the road to the MW for every MW team they may try to poach.

The Pac-2 scored a victory in court but the Pac-12 assets are subject to a $72M set off of some kind to Comcast, a possible $3M to the Holiday Bowl, and the severance payment to Kliavkoff. I get it. It is what it is. However, I am still PO'd over dropping a home game with Texas Tech for a road game in Corvallis which will be the most-watched game the Beavers play all season.

The ACC? How long as you so noted David, can this group hold together? I think it's likely that we will see some kind of merger down the road with the ACC and the B12. The ACC goes away Notre Dame and UNC join the B1G and Clemson and FSU join the SEC and perhaps 2 other teams, why would the two need to expand beyond 40  total member schools? What teams would be left out with a legitimate chance to win a title? How much money would the P2 Playoff be worth compared to bringing in other contenders? 

Again, David, thanks for the terrific article. With the P2 alliance, with the P2 lapping the other conferences financially, the media power of ESPN/Fox, the NLRB finding, subject to appeal, that Dartmouth basketball players with no athletic scholarships, as is the case for all Ivy schools, are employees of Dartmouth, the anti-trust suit against the NCAA filed by the Florida and Tennessee ADs, FSU's and the ACC's litigating, I think CFB is in for more shock waves.

As to a B1G champ game rematch of the Os, Ohio State has a far easier road to travel in 2024 than our OBD. As you so noted David, very rarely did B1G W teams play both Michigan and Ohio State in the same season. In 2024, no team in CFB except OBD plays 8 games in a row without an idle week, and with the final 6 games in the regular season being a yo-yo of away at Purdue, home vs Illinois, away at Michigan, home vs Maryland, away at Wisconsin, week off, UW. Brutus' schedule does not come close to being this Brutal! Ohio State also has the advantage of 8 home games. With the cancellation of the TX Tech game and trip to Corvallis instead, Oregon plays 7 home games.

In the meanwhile, thanks again, David, and Go Ducks Vandalize the Vandals. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 2/6/2024 at 1:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The ACC? How long as you so noted David, can this group hold together?

Not Long that's for sure... they're the next to go under. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Last year I wrote an article about the Coming College Football Schism where there will be two conferences that are composed...

At that point there will be a Power 2 with a third conference of left overs. Then the G5... because lets get real either the defunct Pac-12 will absorb the MW or kill the MW. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2024 at 1:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The Pac-2 scored a victory in court but the Pac-12 assets are subject to a $72M set off of some kind to Comcast, a possible $3M to the Holiday Bowl, and the severance payment to Kliavkoff. I get it. It is what it is. However, I am still PO'd over dropping a home game with Texas Tech for a road game in Corvallis which will be the most-watched game the Beavers play all season.

Don’t forget to add that they have spun this like they did us a favor by agreeing to play us. Biggest reason I don’t wish them well at all, for a few years at least

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

Want to feel dizzy? Read this take on CFB's QB Transfer Carousel - A very good take on the ripple effect of Gabriel and Moore transferring to OBD.

THEATHLETIC.COM

When you have 42 Power 5 programs (and counting) bringing in new transfer quarterbacks at once, many more QBs end up feeling the impact.

While I agree with certain leagues having buyers remorse, mostly the ACC imo. Really adding the two on the west doesn't make them any money.. It just bolsters their numbers, and SMU paid their own way in. So the ACC has nothing to lose there, even if the Dallas market isn't SMU supporters.

As far as why the Big Ten expanded. It wasn't out of necessity.

The Big Ten was okay before adding USC, or UCLA. Just like the SEC didn't need Texas, or Oklahoma. But the two ringleaders of the Pac Twelve, and Big Twelve approached wanting admission. So they saw it as a way to get two blue bloods, and great markets. Oklahoma was likely the cherry on top for Sankey. While UCLA was a tag along for USC's travel companion.

You can ask if the Big Ten wanted to cripple the Pac Twelve, or if it was just a by-product. They vetted Washington and Oregon in 2022, but decided not to pull the trigger on the conference of champions. The Pac Twelve did nothing with that year reprieve, so Oregon and Washington came onboard at a discount. 

There was a story being leaked that it was the Big Ten presidents didn't want expansion, but saw the financial benefits of it after the conference commissioner showed them the value. Same reason they took Rutgers, and Maryland.

But the Big Ten was never in trouble as long as Ohio State and Michigan stayed on board. They knew Ohio State, and Michigan weren't trying to dictate terms, and was in lockstep with every other member.

The SEC operates the same. Probably a good reason those two are in charge now.

The ACC, Big Twelve, and Pac Twelve have never had that unity. USC, Texas, and now Florida State are prime examples of that. I mean look at the Longhorn Network, that's 100 percent worse than the Pac Twelve Network.

The ACC won't even allow it's members to see the conference bylaws outside of it's headquarters. FSU is suing them for negotiating television contracts behind their backs. Talk about unhealthy.

The Pac Twelve preached unity, but it's members were all looking for a way out, after that Apple deal.

After that, the Pac Twelve members took each other to court. More precisely Washington State and Oregon State did. Even as they were both looking for invites from the Big Twelve. The conference deserves it's death, and Oregon State doesn't deserve a dime that is owed to Oregon. Oregon broke no contracts, they didn't sign the media rights deal due to the conference's bungling it's television deal.

Oregon State would accept a Big Ten invite at one third of what is a full share. Same goes for Washington. They would have taken a discount to get into the ACC, or Big Twelve.

Sad fact is Oregon State wasn't coveted, they are the ugly stepsister's to Oregon's Cinderella. Why is that taboo to say? 

I'll miss the history, and lighter travel. But I won't miss this mess of a conference.

Edited by Duckley Palace
  • Great post! 1