NJDuck

UCLA Announces Hire of All-Time Great to Replace Chip Kelly

UCLA didn’t waste much time to find a replacement for Chip Kelly.

DeShaun Foster will be the next head coach, UCLA announced on Monday morning, as the Bruins have settled on an all-time great. Foster is in the UCLA Hall of Fame, played 7 seasons in the NFL and has been an assistant coach since 2017.

Former coach Chip Kelly left last week to be the offensive coordinator at Ohio State.

In the fall of 2022, Foster was inducted into the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame and nominated for the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.

“While undergoing a comprehensive search for our new head coach, DeShaun resonated from the start and throughout the whole process,” said Jarmond. “We are looking for a coach with integrity, energy and passion; someone who is a great teacher, who develops young men, is a great recruiter and fully embraces the NIL landscape to help our student-athletes. DeShaun checks all of those boxes and then some. He is a leader of men and a true Bruin. I am excited to partner with him as we usher UCLA Football into an exciting new era.”

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

UCLA didn't waste much time to find a replacement for Chip Kelly as the Bruins settled on an all-time great and long-time assistant.

??????? - A 'home cookin' hire. Little experience as a coach but a much-loved Bruin. 

Unless the new president and the administration give a whip, the football program gets top-down support, and boosters get their NIL act together, I see a Minnesota-like B1G future 'bruin' in Westwood. I have no idea if the deal could be done but it would also help UCLA if it played at SoFi Stadium, 12.7 miles and not 25 miles away from campus, and a state-of-the-art venue that is not falling apart. 

See you on 9/28 DeShaun. First B1G game for Oregon and UCLA. 

• Thumbs Up 3

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Paul Finebaum believes Chip Kelly probably made the right decision to move to Ohio State as offensive coordinator, and leave UCLA. 

Maybe they hired internally quickly because all of the feelers they put out told them they weren't going to get any known quantity coach to take the position, so might as well take the loyal guy that actually wants the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

This defines giving up on contender football. They’re happy to be a hoops school that is usually bowl eligible in football.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 2/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

This defines giving up on contender football. They’re happy to be a hoops school that is usually bowl eligible in football.

A hoops school with a men's team likely shut out of the Tourney. At least the women in LA are playing good ball. Both SC and UCLA women are in the top 10. 

As bad as UCLA's men's CBB has been USC has been worse. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/12/2024 at 10:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

... it would also help UCLA if it played at SoFi Stadium, 12.7 miles and not 25 miles away from campus, and a state-of-the-art venue that is not falling apart. ...

Omigosh, this! The Rose Bowl may be historic, but it is a pit!

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess we have Spring and another portal to get through; and, I haven't dug into either schedule as of yet; but, it's sort of hard to see UCLA much beyond 3-4 wins and the UW much beyond 5-6.

I think a lot of Pac-12 people look at the Northwesterns, Rutgers, Illinois, Indianas, Marylands, and Nebraskas, of the world and think UCLA and the UW are at least enough of a bump ahead of those programs to pencil in a winning record against whatever combination of those B12 teams they end up playing; but, looking at the current state of those programs, recruiting, and guys that are now or are likely to remain on the rosters, I'm now starting to wonder quite a bit?

This really is the only option that's realistic for UCLA right now given their dire financial status and dismal NIL support.  No chance a good and experienced HC will want to start with such a disadvantage, even if the location is in a recruiting hotbed.  DeShaun Foster might turn into a good HC but he's going to starting from the ground up and primarily recruiting 3* talent as he'll be routinely outbid for blue chips.  Of course that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're able to develop guys like Kyle Whittingham is consistently able to.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, AnotherOD said:

I guess we have Spring and another portal to get through; and, I haven't dug into either schedule as of yet; but, it's sort of hard to see UCLA much beyond 3-4 wins and the UW much beyond 5-6.

I think a lot of Pac-12 people look at the Northwesterns, Rutgers, Illinois, Indianas, Marylands, and Nebraskas, of the world and think UCLA and the UW are at least enough of a bump ahead of those programs to pencil in a winning record against whatever combination of those B12 teams they end up playing; but, looking at the current state of those programs, recruiting, and guys that are now or are likely to remain on the rosters, I'm now starting to wonder quite a bit?

UCLA is ranked with the 12th hardest schedule in the nation in 2024; Oregon's SOS is 13th. UCLA football travel in 2024 will cover the distance of the Equator. 

UCLA plays in Baton Rouge vs LSU on 9/21 the week before the game with Oregon on 9/28. Oregon is Off on 9/21. The Bruins also play Hawaii, Penn State, Rutgers, Nebraska, and UW on the road. UCLA plays SC in the Rose Bowl on the penultimate weekend of the regular season and finishes with a 'home' game against Fresno State. 

UCLA's win total in 2024 is 5.5. Getting bowl-eligible will be a very good 1st season from Foster. 

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Chip Kelly took a huge pay cut to leave UCLA. Matt Hayes explains why. Plus: B1G power rankings, Iowa's very real Playoff path and more.

Saturday Tradition, not Saturday Out West, is now the Ducks' Saturday go-to site.

Oregon: 2 of the top 5 B1G games in 2024. 2nd behind only MI at tOSU and Ohio State in Eugene. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

We've learned a lot about the current nature of the off season this year. Coaching changes need to happen early ... Which works fine for bad programs that can be proactive in their hiring process. 

Less good for programs that have coaches leave by choice. 

Alabama, Washington, Arizona, and now UCLA have all had to make hires when the coaching carousel has basically ended. 

They made their own mini carousel but the the ride was over when Chip opted to leave. 

No one was going to leave their established head coaching job for UCLA at this late in the process. UCLA was forced to hire a first time head coach... Or pull someone out of retirement but they're too big of a rebuild right now to be interesting to most, especially after the recruiting season for the 2024 class was over. 

Either this hire will work out well enough for them... Or he's a space filler for a year or two. 

But the funny thing is that UCLA is probably missing Jim Mora right now.