Jon Joseph

ESPN Extends Exclusive Playoff Broadcast Rights

Well, so much for other media entities broadcasting Playoff games come 2026 and for the next 6 seasons thereafter. 

The CFB Playoff has signed a 6-year $7.8B extension with ESPN. So, has the format for 2026 through 2031 been agreed upon? To date, due to the Pac-2, we have no idea whether 1 or 2 G5 teams will be in the 12-team PO field.

With 2 G5 teams in the mix, the PO may as well have 6 and not four 1st round 'byes,' with the 5th seed and 6th seed, two teams that will likely be ranked No. 3 and No. 4 by the PO Committee, hosting first-round home games vs out-manned G5 opponents. ESPN is out today with an updated 2024 preseason top 25. As the projected No. 3 ranked team, Oregon would be the 5th seed and play a G5 opponent (LIberty?) in Autzen with No. 4 Texas being the 6th seeded team and playing a G5 opponent in Austin. THIS would be ratings absurd. 

At any rate, we now know that the Power 2 will not be setting up a Power 2 PO before 2031. This is logical as the B1G media deal runs through 2031. 

I am disappointed that Fox will not be on the PO broadcasting PO games and that we will see the SSDD PO coverage, including the rankings show, out of ESecPN.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/report-espn-college-football-playoff-reach-contract-extension-for-12-team-postseason-rights

NOTE - The article up on The Athletic site has the new deal conditioned on an agreed-upon PO format beginning in 2026. 

IMO, this is good news. However, for the CFB honchos to sign a new deal even conditionally means the format in 2026 through 2031 has been agreed upon in general. 

Well, since ESPN has regular season broadcast agreements with SEC, ACC, Big12...but not with the Big Ten anymore...how do you think that may influence Playoff selections?  (rhetorical question)   And, Game Day campus visits.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be honest, I actually like that ESPN is going to handle the playoffs since I really don't like the commentators that Fox has, really could use not having Gus Johnson screaming into the mike constantly.  In general I just like their broadcasts more than Fox, though I do like Joel Klatt.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

At any rate, we now know that the Power 2 will not be setting up a Power 2 PO before 2031. This is logical as the B1G media deal runs through 2031. .

Definitely not coincidence. B1G and SEC probably looking for more runway on conference realignment anyways. Lots left to settle.

But this is big news, because it definitely increases the odds to stick with the 12 team format until 2031.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 2

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The College Football Playoff has locked down media rights through the 2031-32 season

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The College Football Playoff will continue to be broadcast by ESPN through the 2031 season...

• Thanks 1

At over 1 Bil a year for 11 games, nice payout for the conferences/teams that make it.  Gotta make sure Notre Dame doesn't make the playoffs and keep 100 mil per game to themselves.

I think we are going to see:

1)  A revolt of the teams making the playoffs not wanting an equal share for the conference bottom feeders/non qualifiers.

2)  I believe the Ducks and ewe dubs 1/2 shares are not subject to football playoff $ or NCAA units, so this will replace the steaming $ (not streaming) Kliavkoff promised.

3)  Plan on ESPN trying to eventually put the playoffs on a pay per view/ add-on ESPN service.

"It sucks that we won’t see Fox,CBS, & NBC air a playoff or take turns airing the National Championship,"

I could not agree more.  ESPN sucks.  They are greedy bloodsuckers who do not care about the sport or the fans, all they worship is $$$. To the detriment of the game.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Big Ten and SEC leaders seek to change the revenue distribution model and voting structure of the College Football Playoff as expansion looms.

Ohio State home cookin' here but the concerns are B1G and not just tOSU concerns.

SCARLETANDGAME.COM

The new TV deal for the CFP isn't great for the Ohio State football team's exposure, nor is it good for anyone else except ESPN and the SEC.

Do you think there is any enmity between Michigan and Ohio State? Wow! FSU in instead of Bama I get. UM out because of the worst cheating scandal in CFB history?

Over the line!

Report: ESPN could pull $7.8 billion media rights offer if College Football Playoff doesn't resolve 12-team format

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:36 AM, NJDuck said:

Report: ESPN could pull $7.8 billion media rights offer if College Football Playoff doesn't resolve 12-team format

What a laugher, no way ESPN pulls out of the CFP.  I wish they would though, I'd love to see the ESPN stranglehold broken up and it's not like there won't be other suitors.  

• Thumbs Up 1