NJDuck

Ducks Beat Oregon State by Two Points After N'Faly Dante's Buzzer-Beating Dunk

Oregon basketball claimed its third straight two-point win in Corvallis

N’Faly Dante dunk with 1 second left is the difference in Oregon’s 60-58 win over Oregon State

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon basketball claimed its third straight two-point win in Corvallis.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ahead by a fairly constant 13 points from the middle of first half until there were eight minutes left in the game, OBD went into running clock, what I call the “prevent offense.”  Predictably the beavers tightened their defense.  Repeatedly starting the attempts to score with 10 or fewer seconds left on the shot clock, our team lost what momentum they had, and score was tied.  

Why a team that is comfortably winning the game totally alters it’s strategy with that much time left will puzzle me until I go into the crematorium.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ice Cold Three point shooting night even with many wide open looks.(really missing "Barth" in that respect).  No Bench scoring whatsoever, but again...not many quality minutes left playable on the bench.  Poorly executed "prevent offense", having to take contested shots because of shot clock pressure that was mismanaged.

I am glad they got the win and certainly enjoyed most of the game.  But three, two point, wins at Gill in three years is getting...old.  For once I want to see the clearly superior team, win like it. 

The inconsistencies are counterbalanced by the athletic abilities of this team.  And that just may be it.  They can play some really exciting basketball but don't have the "nuances" of play that come with a cohesive unit and they have NOT gelled in that respect as a Team.

I think we have seen the floor of this team and unfortunately that floor is outside of the "Tourney Selection" window.  I hope we haven't seen the ceiling yet because they still have some impactful games ahead, starting next week in the bay.  Sweep the road trip; take care of Beavis at home, as you Should take care of them; and then go 2of3 against Arizona, Colorado, and Utah; and we should secure a top four seed in the Final PAC12 Tourney.

They are still in control of what is possible for this Oregon Basketball team.  Will they discover, attain, and maintain some semblance of a ceiling?  Well I, for one, will be watching and cheering to find out.  Time to finish strong.

Go Ducks!  

Always good to send the rodents home sad!

OAC’s tears are indeed sweet.  What a great way to win on the road.

Give them a reason to be hopeful, then rip it away.

Works for me..

• Haha 1

Maybe time for a coaching change. The Beavs are bad at best. Should win this game by a minimum 12 pts.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:21 AM, Just Ducky said:

Maybe time for a coaching change. The Beavs are bad at best. Should win this game by a minimum 12 pts.

It’s definitely time, hopefully Dana just retires.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given the enormous number of injuries and players lost for the season, I think the Ducks, AND DA, have done as well as could be expected. 

I was with some of you regarding the bad idea of the use of the "prevent offense" last night (and other nights).  But I've come to change my mind.  The lads worked really hard on the defensive side of the ball last night.  That just might be the reason DA had them slow it down.  The short-handed team was pretty gassed in the second half.

Anyway, happily, another beaver dam crumbles and cascades down the McKenzie R.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/18/2024 at 2:28 PM, Mudslide said:

Given the enormous number of injuries and players lost for the season, I think the Ducks, AND DA, have done as well as could be expected. 

I was with some of you regarding the bad idea of the use of the "prevent offense" last night (and other nights).  But I've come to change my mind.  The lads worked really hard on the defensive side of the ball last night.  That just might be the reason DA had them slow it down.  The short-handed team was pretty gassed in the second half.

Anyway, happily, another beaver dam crumbles and cascades down the McKenzie R.

I hear you, but three straight years of the exact same scenario makes me question talent identification, development of players, conditioning program, and questionable “4th quarter” adjustments.

We shot 10% from three against a terrible team last night. We only won because they shot 11%. 

• Yikes! 1

DA might have become weary of recruiting and trying to coach these young kids who can’t and won’t play the defense like he likes to coach. Sign of the times I guess. 

He gave us some great years and some sweet memories. He was a great mentor for a lot of young kids. Heck of a coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Once again they took their foot off the gas too early, and it nearly cost them the win.

I still believe in D.A., its hard to argue with his overall record. But there seems to be a pattern with the injury thing. I question the S. & C. part of the program.

• Thumbs Up 3

It’s hard to get in condition when the players are constantly battling injuries. Rehab isn’t the same as playing condition.

• Thumbs Up 1