NJDuck

The Climb - 2024 Oregon Football Winter Workouts - Episode 1

The turf is going to tell the truth.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

😳 wow!

Love it, Lanning didn't just come in with some stupid catch phrase, or slogan like 'do something.' He has sprouted many sayings organically like 'the grass is damn green in Eugene.'

We now see 'The climb' and any number of great inspirational lines these coaches are feeding the players. My favorite is still 'so what now what,' but I have a feeling Lanning has something just about everyday that is classic.

Offseason is where games are won and lost, love the post!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

'So what, now what' was coined by Terry Borton in the 1970s as a group facilitation technique.  It is frequently used in sales trading.  

I have taken a number of sales methodology classes in my career and it is applicable to the challenges faced when  selling enterprise solutions to large organizations.

Did it help you sell beer 🍺 

Love this post. Also it looks to be the beginning of a kind of thread I've wanted to see for some time on the forum and which is common on the Talkin Dawgs blog--one hinting on how coaches talk to and motivate players and discussing how players are adapting to the winter workouts. Many players on the Georgia team have commented that this is the toughest most stressful period of the year and the time when team culture and bonding is solidified.

Interestingly, this is the time when even the biggest, baddest, most talented recruits often hit the freshman wall, learning that they aren't so big bad, and talented as they thought they were. They will either react positively to this information and grind all the harder or founder and become a risk of underachieving. Hopefully, the guys will buck up and start the process of developing into solid B1G level players, but all too often that that may not happen. Successful coaches treat this as an opportunity for significant growth, often by administering healthy does of tough love at this juncture. It is all part of the process of molding a good football team. 

So posters, let's hear whatever you can dig out about workouts and players' reactions to them. This information is muy interesante to this fan.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

'The climb'

"The Climb" is the title of a very popular Game of Thrones episode. I'm pretty sure "The Climb" Lanning & Co. are using is in reference to that episode, even if unconsciously chosen:

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try it again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb. They refuse. They cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Littlefinger, Game of Thrones S.3 E.6

Edited by 2002duck
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had lunch with Franz Weber, great downhiller, and speed skier. He told the story of breaking the speed record which was a classic story of struggle and fear.

He said once you reached about 98 mph your skis shook so hard everyone backed off and that was the record for a long time. One day he said screw it I am just going to see what is on the other side of all this noise. Turns out on the other side of chaos was floating in the air, peacefulness. He shattered the record and led others to do the same.

I also remember Ngata coming to Oregon and seeing Olshansky lifting weights, and new that Igor would help lead him to a new level. I wonder which player will be the leader to reach a new level in the Oregon program. These guys are coming in as boys, full of potential. Somebody is going to break through to a new level, who will it be?

All the coach stuff is great, but the real growth of the team will come from within the dynamic of the players.

• Thumbs Up 4

"If you haven't failed at something today you ain't getting better".  DL

The importance of this message it paramount.  Most of these young boystomen have been so talented and elite that failure is often, rarely experienced and viewed negatively.  Especially growing up in a society that places "winning and success" above all else.

To have them come to understand that there is actual value, both personally and physically, in failure that it becomes just another "tool" to achieve the goals you have set for yourself.  Not something to fear.

These are the nuances of "life" that DL seems to have an insight on and attracts staff and players who understand learning under him will make them better.

I am LOVING getting to know Dan Lanning and company through the A/V work that is giving us these glimpses into the building of this program.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 3

I like when Dan says 'if you're not winning, you're learning'.  How true is that?