Charles Fischer

Did You Miss Me? And How Desperate ARE tOSU Fans?

Hello my Duck-Buddies,

I have not been on the forum much in the last three weeks or so due to the sale of my house, the clearing out of 43 years of stuff, and moving to a two-bedroom apartment in Eugene of which is very close to my office.  As you know, I like to start a number of threads every day, but it has been quite hard lately. I am back, but not in a normal mode yet.  So if any of you can post articles like Jon Joseph has in assisting NJDuck...the community would greatly appreciate it.

Bizarre, Desperate or Telling?

I finally got caught up on a week's worth of threads and learned that the expansion of Autzen will not take place until the new indoor practice facility and grounds are completed first.  Since this project will take a couple of years to complete--the notion of Autzen adding 10,000 seats anytime soon is simply a wish.

So, that means that tickets to games are going to be much more difficult to score in the next few years.  You will see much fewer ticket packages sold at a discount, and far more season tickets being marketed so fans can secure a decent location. What I did not anticipate was the interest by B1G fans who want to attend games at Autzen, and the following might be a telling sign?

An Ohio State fan emailed me explaining that he bought Oregon Season Tickets at Autzen....just so he can be certain of having a pair of seats at our upcoming game this fall!  Whoa, how desperate is that?  He was asking all kinds of questions about tickets that I have no time to research for him--and referred him back to where he is buying the tickets from.  (He did not take that well, and thought that I somehow was obligated to him, and should spend the time to find the answers to his questions.)

Is this fan's actions symbolic of where ticket availability is headed?  It feels to me it certainly is, and we might all want to take note. If you have ever thought about buying season tickets...do it NOW.  Availability and prices are certain to change...

When we last played Michigan at Autzen...

Oregon vs. Michigan in 2003_John Giustina.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm just going go ahead and say that tOSU fan is simply not very smart, to think you won't be able to get tickets either through the opponent allotment or through the second hand market is insane.  It will of course be a sellout, but I doubt prices are going to be higher than what a season ticket would cost. 

I don't go to every game but I'm able to get tickets pretty much always if I'm willing to pay for it, I don't think I've seen a game where ticket prices have been so high that I wouldn't at least think about going.  Highest I've paid for tickets is probably around 140 a pop, expensive of course, but not anywhere close to a season ticket, and that's a day before the game.

Edited by spartan2785

This last year....I could have sold my tickets to the USC game and the proceeds would have paid for all the other home game tickets, and the donation required.  I think you will see some crazy prices for the Buckeye game by mid-summer, IMHO. 

I think B1G fans will bid the prices up of available tickets in a big way, thus season tickets might be the best approach?

Versus Michigan State in 2014...

Autzen vs. MSU 2014_Jeff White.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Yes! You have been missed. And Ohio State fans are among the most self-entitled in CFB. As evidenced by the tOSU fan expecting you to service all of his requests. The Buckeyes fans are the most SEC-like fans in the B1G. I doubt that the tOSU fan you communicated with is the only Ohio State fan to have purchased Oregon season tickets. I expect the secondary market for the Ohio State game will have the highest-priced tickets in Autzen Stadium's history. 

No school got a better shake during the 4-team playoff era than did the Buckeyes. Making the field twice when it did not win the B1G title. Penn State won in 2016 but with 2 losses was benched in favor of the Buckeyes. 2022 was the other occasion when non-B1G champ 11-1 Ohio State lost to Michigan and made the playoff field. And in 2014 (sigh) Ohio State lost early to VA Tech but made the field after blowing out Wisconsin in the B1G title game and also because the B12 decided to have more than one conference champion.

It's great to have you back and it is going to be B1G fun.

• Thanks 1

What someone says they will do, and what they actually end up doing can be two different things. If he buys season tix, does he pay the annual fee to the athletic fund? 

Buying the season tix may not be so crazy. 

I bet the going rate for tOSU game will easily be $400 to $500 online for decent seating. If someone is flying in from the Midwest they will want tickets in hand before leaving, So for 4 tickets they pay around $2,000 and travel expenses another $6,000. 

Therefore, paying around $3 thousand for the season is definitely not crazy when many of the unused tix can easily be resold online for face value. 

btw…i checked on season tix with four seats together…$779 each for the entire season. 

On 2/29/2024 at 10:40 AM, Drake said:

If he buys season tix, does he pay the annual fee to the athletic fund? 

For that one year of purchasing the tickets...yes.  And he will be replaced by another B1G fan next year?

The additional revenue from joining the B1G will not fully be known for years.  I just know it will be HUGE for the Oregon Athletic Department.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/29/2024 at 10:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This last year....I could have sold my tickets to the USC game and the proceeds would have paid for all the other home game tickets, and the donation required.  I think you will see some crazy prices for the Buckeye game by mid-summer, IMHO. 

I think B1G fans will bid the prices up of available tickets in a big way, thus season tickets might be the best approach?

Versus Michigan State in 2014...

Autzen vs. MSU 2014_Jeff White.jpg

I guess it might be about where the tickets are and also how long are you willing to wait to get the tickets.  I don't have the ability to make it to all the games, so I usually get tickets with my best friend who goes to all the games buying second hand tickets, if you wait until the day before or even the day of, you can get pretty good deals, I'm not surprised you could get your money back on premium tickets to the USC game.  

Thinking about it more, I guess the tOSU fan will make a profit if he is able to sell the other tickets, so maybe I jumped to a conclusion in retrospect, just seems like a lot a work for the tickets, that's just me though.

Rob Mullins said he's never seen such high demands for season tickets and package deals in a long time.

Listen to Rob Mullins on Duck Insider around the 31:50 minute mark.  What he said about Big Ten fans.  Unlike visiting Pac-12 fans who can't fill their quota, he talked with one of the Big Ten AD (it could be OSU) who said they could fill Autzen with their own fans.

He said get ready, because visiting fans are going to travel strong.  Duck fans need to protect our turf securing seats, keeping Autzen green and yellow.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, NJDuck said:

He said get ready, because visiting fans are going to travel strong.  Duck fans need to protect our turf securing seats, keeping Autzen green and yellow.

Never liked it when Duck season ticket holders sell good seats to our despised rivals…I never sell my tickets online, but I do give them away to friends and family.

I prefer to only see a small pocket of rival colors seated in the top corner of the stadium. 

If I need to miss a heated rival game…the tickets must go to a known Duck fan. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 2

I have only one addition/correction:

It’s anOSU.  

That is all.  

• Like 1

Yes, we missed you @Charles Fischer!

• Thanks 1